German Shepherds Forum banner

Help name this little guy (llombardo moment lol)

2K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Saito 
#1 ·
Long story short, starting today we'll be watching over this little wiener for a while. Hopefully not too long, but I could see it being 3 months.

He's supposedly a 10 week old chihuahua & dachshund mix (can you say anti-strangers? lol We'll be sure to socialize him well). His owner said his name is Jenkins.
That's a stupid name. I'm not calling him Jen. He doesn't even respond to it either.

He's been a pretty chill little dude so far. Likes the cats (supposedly lived with one). Great playmate with our chihuahua/Boston terrier. Does good with our Pointer mutt (but then again, that loveable dog is great with pretty much everything (provided it isn't a winged creature)). Just needs to learn to stop walking under his feet.
Was good with meeting other dogs today while we were out at the lake. Was friendly with people coming up to see him.

I've been calling him Frank (weiner dog...frankfurter...Frank). Girlfriend has started to yell at me for calling him Frank.

I thought Hans would be a good name for him. Kind of strikes me as a Hans. But she hates that name. *sigh*

So...please...something better than Jenkins.

Also, any good things to know about dachshunds would be appreciated. Apparently bred to hunt badgers & burrowing things, so they're great at digging. Supposedly not very social (at least after reaching maturity).

------------------------

Side story: found a dog last night that was crossing a major roadway. Smaller dog, too. Some kind of Maltese? About the size of a house cat. Probably would've been dead if I didn't pullover and got to it. MF'ers were barely seeing & stopping for me, despite being in full high visibility motorcycle gear...
A lady in an SUV stopped and offered a rope. She poured him some water while I went to bring my bike off the shoulder & into the parking lot we took him to. Tried calling & texting the owner (dog had a tag on him!) but no response. Almost had him as an overnighter (lady said she'd drive him over to where I live) but then a cop noticed us sitting on the ground with the dog and asked if we found him. Told him yea, but owners aren't answering their phone, but his other tag has his registration to the township. Cop said he'd take him in and look up who he belongs to from the registration.
Jerk bag owners haven't called or texted back "thanks for saving our dog." I was kind of digging that dog. Was fine with me coming up & picking him up out of the street. Then he just chilled leaning against me the whole time I was sitting with him. Felt like he knew I was there to help him and he was thankful.

Attachments

See less See more
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
#9 · (Edited)
Well since I can only assume that I'm the Lombardo you are talking about and the dog is a boy you can't name him Lisa(that would be silly for a boy). So I say call him Guy(Guy Lombardo) and you will have a story behind the name when people ask where his name came from. If this is a true Lombardo moment we will still be talking about this little guy next year:grin2:

Good luck with him, such a tiny pup, but so cute.

PS--It made me smile when I thought about the fact that someone I never met in person thought of me when it came to helping an animal!

#13 ·
If this is a true Lombardo moment we will still be talking about this little guy next year

Good luck with him, such a tiny pup, but so cute.

PS--It made me smile when I thought about the fact that someone I never met in person thought of me when it came to helping an animal!
You have a canine army! haha

I'm really afraid of the possibility of it becoming ours. If it does end up being like 3 months...is the pup going to become overly attached to us? I could see it happening...one person that he spent a few weeks with could be 'abandoned' for our whole 'pack' after months. Especially at such an early & important time in his development. *sigh*

The Chi genetics a are definitely stranger wary. I grew up a great little dachshund..very friendly but a door runner and non compliant with recall...he was a Clancy..
Yea...our little lady barks quite a bit at things until she sees that they're okay.
I've read on one site that "obedient dachshund" is an oxymoron. o_O But I think that's just them being a hound and getting super focused/one track minded when tracking a scent.

#11 ·
The Chi genetics a are definitely stranger wary. I grew up a great little dachshund..very friendly but a door runner and non compliant with recall...he was a Clancy..

#15 ·
What a smiley thread. I'm just feeling good all over.
A very nice thing you are doing, double double.
Sorry, I have no names, but will just say, any name will do, so pick the one you like. New owners will probably re-name him anyway, unless they like it, and it's no big deal to the dog if done right.
My current guy was Nino, which I liked, but since my last two pets (Simba and Batman) came to me pre-named, I wanted the fun of naming, came up with 3 pages of names (while I was waiting for him to arrive), none of them suited and named him Sonic instead.
He loved his old name, now he loves his new name. Called Nino - Sonic, then Sonic with the occasional Nino once he started responding, then Sonic only.
So I'd call him Frank, and give the adopters the pleasure of coming up with their own.

#16 ·
Figured I'd update this thread about the little guy.

He's still with us. Still a really chill little dude. We agreed on Tobi...well, she spells it 'Toby,' and I spell it "Tobi.' But if you heard us saying his name, you'd think we had fully agreed on his name. Side note: that name makes me wish he was a Doberman--then he could be Tobi The Dobie.

He's grown a bit. 5 pounds and 9 ounces! Already bigger than our near 9 month girl, Jiji, who is only 5 lbs 3 oz. Despite him being a little bigger over all, he still struggles to jump on to the bed, while she hops up like it's nothing. "It's my dang little weenie legs!" It does appear that he can out run her, though. The two are like two peas in a pod together. Despite being a chill little weener, he does get playful & rowdy at times (which should be expected being so young).

He has learned to bark, thanks to Jiji always ready to bark at any sound in the distance that she doesn't approve of. Her tiny bark is somewhat cute, as she almost sounds like a toy. But his? It just sounds gross. Was fun watching him learning how to bark, though--took a while.

As a dachshund, he insists he is an expert at digging. He often likes to follow our big mutt around the yard, ready to help. So if he does just one paw at the ground, Tobi springs into action at the spot and frantically digs...and barely makes a dent into the ground.

His ears are funny. The dachshund in him wants big floppy ears, while the the Chihuahua in him wants prick ears. It appears the Chihuahua is winning, and they'll eventually both stand upright. But now? His ears are big & heavy. When he runs, the wind resistance usually flops both of his ears backwards.

Here's a few newer pictures of him, though these are about a month old.

Attachments

#19 ·
Um, he seems to be completely happy and comfortable where he is. When are you gonna call it and just say your keeping him? :grin2:

#22 ·
Um, he seems to be completely happy and comfortable where he is. When are you gonna call it and just say your keeping him?
Mehhhhh.
Maybe if she actually trains him...

Really sweet -you know he is where he belongs I'm sure of it - you must!
Does seem a little wrong to take him out of our pack. Had a feeling he'd mesh into living with us well and not want to go back. But he technically does belong to someone else.

But I'm sure any dog would feel at home with us.

Couple weeks ago I was on my way to work and noticed a dog running. Pulled into a driveway. 'Chased' the bugger...in full motorcycle gear, like the last one, but this time I had my backpack full of work gear still on me, and the side street I was flanking him on was on a hill. Not fun. Once I got him, I realized he was a schippirkke (or at least mostly). Rare! Was a nice little guy. Good with our dogs. Seemed to be a bit older (6 years or so?). No tags. Wasn't too far from home so I called my gf to take him. She brought him to work later--scanned & no microchip. But eventually the owner called the police & they gave the number to reach her. Apparently, all 3 of her dogs escaped at once and took off in different directions.

Got a black Maltese kind of thing yesterday, too. Well, more like trapped it. Was at a small warehouse and saw the dog going towards the main roads. Wasn't letting me get to it and was barking at me, so I skirted it back towards the housing area. Eventually he walked up a deck to a house and then his barks became insanely fierce. Figured it had to be his home to up his barks so much. Latched the gate shut. Knocked on the door to be sure...would be crazy to be the home owner and find a strange dog on the deck. But it was indeed hers. She thanked me. I'm sure it popped the latch open. Trekked back to where I was. Talked to the guy at the warehouse & he said he's seen the owner out before trying to get it-- confirming that the little dog knows how to pop that latch open.

Added a picture of the schippirkke.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.