German Shepherds Forum banner

I am feeling like the worst pet owner ever right about now...

3K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Ripley2016 
#1 · (Edited)
So I decided to leave Brennan and Batman out this morning when I went to work. I thought I Brennan and Batman proofed the house, but I made one mistake. I left peaches on the counter in a bag. I moved the bag back and didn't think anything of it. I came home at lunch and found part of a plastic bag and my heart sunk. All the peaches--pits and all gone, about 20-22 of them. Immediately called the vet. Only four dogs were out so my son took Brennan and Batman in right away because I knew they were the biggest culprits. Xrays showed Batman ate quite a few and Brennan ate several. They induced vomiting and between them 12 came out. Since I know there are more I left work early and I'm taking the other 2 dogs in right now. I can not believe I was so careless. I just hope that all of them will be ok. This has turned into a nightmare kinda day.

#7 ·
I never even thought about the pits in peaches. I have a couple peach trees in my yard and Rosko has been stealing peaches for the past couple months. I have yet to notice anything in his poo and he has regular movements. Obviously if I see him doing it I tell him to leave them but if he's out by himself he has been known to help himself to a fruit. Maybe I should rethink him having access.

#9 ·
I think they'll be okay if they vomited that many up. I can't keep track of your cult's members names, but those two are pretty large dogs, right? I don't think this one time incident will be enough to be a lethal poisoning, considering your doggies are in good health & on a good raw diet on top of being good sized. They may have some tummy aches, but I'm thinking they'll be over it soon.

Sending good vibes your way.

#10 · (Edited)
Here is the update.....

The vet did not want to do an xray on Misty and Tannor because the pits are dense and it's hard to even see them, so he went right for the inducing vomit. Neither one threw any up. The vet thinks Batman ate the bulk of them. when they induced vomiting with him, the pits came flying out. There are two worries with the pits, they can get stuck in the intestine if they eat them whole and if the bite them or chew them it releases a toxin. In my case it seems they ate them whole. The good thing is that they were smaller peaches(I'll explain in a minute). The next 48 hours they have to be watched, to make sure they are pooping and no vomiting. There is a small time frame to induce vomiting before it moves down the line in the stomach.

Now here is the story with the peach tree. Once I realized I had a peach tree I had to move the fence line because I didn't want any part of the tree in the yard because of those darn pits and Robyn loves peaches. The first year I moved in I had peaches and boy they were good. The second year I seen the peaches on there and then a week later nothing. I told my neighbor and he thought I was crazy, I thought an animal ate them. So fast forward to this year. Peaches galore, they are good to go at the end of July, beginning of August. 2 weeks ago my neighbor called and said that someone was out there picking the peaches at Midnight. They had flashlights and all. My other neighbor came out and told them to leave and get off the property, it turned out to be the people that used to live here. They knew when to come get the peaches and cleared the tree last year too. I wasn't to happy and I told my neighbor I wasn't crazy last year either. They ended up clearing half the tree this time. So we went out and picked about 40, gave my neighbor some to make peach moonshine and I was going to try my hand at canning the rest. I went a couple days ago and got all the stuff to can and now I have no peaches. All of this and I haven't had a darn peach for 2 yrs.

Here is a picture of Misty, she isn't to happy and is just now not looking so green. I'm sure if she could talk she would give Brennan and Batman an earful for putting her through this.

#11 ·
Poor Misty does look wronged. Maybe an extra treat when she is able. I was wondering about the quantity, thought man, she must really like peaches. I can't believe the former owners did that! I mean why not just ask you? That's crazy stuff! One guy the other night (according to the news) breaks into a place and steals 5 million in jewels - then you have yours in the middle of the night stealing peaches. What a world...:surprise:

#14 ·
I don't think Misty ate any, it was just a precaution. Misty does not like anything that might be good for her, she is a junk food dog. Open up a bag of Cheetos and she is there. The shot they give makes them throw up and there is some morphine in it. Misty is almost 12 and recovering from that shot has been a struggle, she is still a little wobbly and the rest are bouncing off the walls.

My neighbor says that if the worse thing happening here is peach thievery then we are doing good as a neighborhood. Next year I might tie Apollo to the tree, oh what a surprise that would be....lol. I wouldn't really do that but I want to get something that is motion activated and makes noise, like a Halloween decoration or something. I'm also thinking about a sign that clearly reads to stay off my property and that the peaches are the property of my address.

#15 ·
I asked and they said regular diet. I thought about giving them more food so it might push its way out. The only thing the vet is pretty sure of is that they were not chewed but eaten whole or at least that is what the evidence showed.

#16 ·
An older couple we know have an American bull dog and a shepherd. We were asked to check on them while they were out of town. Both dogs chowd down on the peaches and apricots they had growing in their yard, pits too. We called them up and they said not to worry, both have been doing it their whole lives, never a problem smh.

#17 ·
Stuff happens! Good thing you were able stop home and have them get to a vet. Hope your pups all are feeling better soon! Hopefully they may not want to look at another peach again. Wild crazy story about the peach thieves during the night-would of been a great to catch that on film. It sounds like those peaches are mighty good!!!

#19 ·
Would be nice but there are no more. Maybe I can see if the neighbor made the peach moonshine, I can use some of that :grin2:

Reactions: MoxyPup
#20 ·
Both dogs ate dinner without issue and played for a little bit. I explained to Batman that he is not allowed to give me any more near heart attacks.

Reactions: Stonevintage
#23 ·
They seriously scare the heck out of me sometimes. And this is why some dogs need to be crated for their own safety. Batman is one of those dogs.

#25 ·
I'm glad to hear that your dogs are doing ok. Batman must have an iron stomach! Can you post a pic of Misty in an "I'm feeling much better" pose when she is up to it.

I hope you get to relax some also. Rushing one dog to the vets wipes me out. Can't imagine four. You really are a great pet owner.

After you put a no trespassing sign on your property, maybe add another on the tree.

"Don't pick the peaches I know who you are". Or you could just call him, let him know that he was seen and offer to give him some when they ripen.

I bet that former owner hasn't had as good a peach (other than stealing yours) since he moved.

#26 ·
Only this happens to me...update today

This morning Batman pooped and it was dark but firm. I was ok with it because his poop gets darker when he eats mulberries too. I'm thinking YAY we might be out of the woods. So I come home after work and I noticed a couple pits in his crate, one chewed up. First thought is how many came up and did he re-eat them? So I clean them up and as I'm reaching in the crate I see Charlie chewing something, the little booger was in the trash. So I put my hand down his throat and grabbed what I think was all of it. I call the vet and tell them that more pits surfaced but one was chewed. She thought it was odd that they still came up a couple days later and said that he might have to vomit again. The only thing I had was salt, so I used as little as possible. Within minutes he threw up 7 more pits, so that makes 15 for him and 4 for Brennan. That also brings it closer to the 20 I thought there was, so I'm feeling a little better. I think we got all of them or pretty close. I'll be watching him for a couple more days.

#28 ·
I'm glad your dogs are ok.

I was thinking about you this morning as I went out to check for old/moldy peaches that might fall from our neighbors tree where a branch overhangs a little into our yard. It had never occurred to me that my puppy might eat the peaches until I read your thread.

Ironically, one of my kids dropped a peach slice of fresh peach I had grabbed from the tree limb (my neighbor will never eat them all - his tree is loaded) and the puppy tried to eat it and hated it. Score for me. But thank you for bringing awareness to this.

#27 ·
I was wondering about the gap in pit #'s if you took all your dogs in. Well, it's over:) So, Yippie!!! Behind you, over and gone. Thanks for the update. Next week will be a better one. Someone once said if you didn't have the bad times how would you know the good? Personally, I want to tell them, sometimes - you're full of beans... but oh, that would be another problem...:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.