German Shepherds Forum banner

? For those with Healthy Paws insurance.

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  DutchKarin 
#1 ·
I am thinking of changing insurance companies due to regular large increases in my premium. If you have Healthy Paws insurance, have your rate increases been reasonable? Thanks in advance for any help.

#4 · (Edited)
I have 2 of 3 on HP, and the other is on Petsplan and will be moved to HP this month.

HP seems like it does what they say, the rates aren't "teasers" that will be jacked up upon renewal, and the people on the phone are helpful. However, it's really only helpful for huge bills.

The weird thing with them is how they calculate your reimbursement. Be sure you understand that, as it's different from other companies -- and it's not intuitive. For example, I have a 250 deductible & 90% coverage. Let me illustrate with a recent example:

My dog just had 400 in bills for a carpal ligament injury requiring a splint, xrays, sedation, and a follow up visit to remove the splint. With 90% reimbursement, you might think it would be:
400 (total bill) -250 (deductible) = 150 * 90% = 135 reimbursement. NOPE!

First, they deduct the office visit costs (there were two here). Those aren't covered by HP, ever. That knocked over 100 off the top of my bills. THEN they do apply your percentage of coverage, before taking out your deductible -- so it results in significantly reduced reimbursement by doing it in this order. In my case with 400 in bills, the calculation was roughly:
300 (amount left after taking out 2 office visits) *90% = 270-250 (deductible) = 20...so I got a $20 check.

OTOH, the really good thing with them is the deductible is annual not per incident, so if we have anything else come up during the rest of this calendar year, I've already met my deductible for the year. I hate the per incident deductibles at other companies.

#8 ·
That is what we have. And pretty much, you won't have to worry about a big bill. They still don't cover the vet's exam fee, or anything that is considered routine or preventative. But illnesses and accidents (as long as they are not pre-existing) will not cost you an arm and a leg. But seriously, the rate increases are insane. My senior, who we signed up at 3 when we adopted her, started out at $36/month. It now costs us $108/month, just for her. My 21 month old GSD is now $76/month. They both have health problems that make it worth it, but I can't imagine spending this much per month for a healthy dog.

#12 ·
We have trupanion and the rate depends on what kind of deductible you choose. We chose a higher deductible as we had a few pets gsd, chihuahua and 1 cat. It's for those extremely high emergency vet bills and feel so much better having it. We put one claim and we got a check from them a few days later with no issues what so ever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.