German Shepherds Forum banner

Cesar Milan or widespread technique

3K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  WateryTart 
#1 ·
So we have been in blue Ridge Georgia for the past week. Downtown is a pretty touristy place. They are also very dog friendly. I have taken Rosko with us downtown the 4-5 times we have went. Athena stays crated at the cabin since she doesn't have her full vaccines yet. Anyway Rosko has gotten really good at walking on heel or loose leash ignoring other dogs and people. However, I would say I have noticed 85% possibly more dogs wanting to lunge or pull in Rosko's direction. Of that 85% 85% of those owners will take their leg behind the dog and kick it while Making a sssh noise. 50% of the dogs at least stop pulling but none of them ignore rosko completely. Is this a Cesar TV thing or do trainers teach this as a deterrent also.
That being said their have also been some really well behaved dogs and very knowledgeable owners. Those are the ones I find myself stopping to have conversations with.

#2 ·
There are a lot of Cesar fans, and people who try to emulate him, teaching his methods. I've seen some people Tssss at dogs around here, but haven't seen the kicking part.

Don't know.

#4 ·
No matter what you do you have to have a firm correction and timing has to be there. Good timing means much practice. If you are correcting as its happening you are way to late and that is with any animal a slight reminder for them to behave can save you much grief. Many people get and take what they want from any lesson , tv show, Internet advise, YouTube video- if they are truly serious in correcting a behavior or moving ahead that is within them to follow through not just perceive what they want.

#6 ·
The phssst sound and kick = Eh! and a leash correction.It's their timing that sucks.I've only seen one person making the phssst sound as she was running after her loose dog!?? Weird.

#8 ·
Haha love it, I'm sure that worked out really well for her! Makes me think of a couple I saw with a smaller dog, they had it loose on a pathway, it was running all over the place and barking at people, the woman kept repeating the dog's name in a whiny high pitched voice, but didn't give a command. :confused:

#7 ·
Yes I think human nature is fascinating not that I am an expert or anything and have faults but I think people pick and choose what they like and what's easiest I'm sure we are all guilty of it sometimes. The psst sounds is all they want to see - regardless where they saw it and think they know how to do it. Some people just like to scratch the surface or just need help digging deeper- there are those don't even acknowledge they need help. It is an interesting observation though for sure.

#9 ·
I have a strong dislike of the cesar milan groupies. When Otto was young, random people would come up to me 'do you watch cesar, let me tell you how cesar would' Lady you poke my dog, he's going to bite you.

#10 ·
I do not disagree with everything that CM says but the problem is that it is a TV show and everything that happens on TV, and I mean everything, is an illusion. The stuff you see on the Dog Whisperer is no more real than Daenerys's dragons on GoT. The problem with CM is you now suddenly have millions of armchair warriors who have become "dog training experts" because they watch his show. Serious professional dog trainers (like Tyler Muto or Michael Ellis) would not look good on TV because it is much too technical and subtle to be spectacular and entertaining for the masses.

#22 ·
Experts like Tyler Muto or Michael Ellis would not look good on TV because it is much too technical and subtle to be spectacular and entertaining for the masses.
I think these trainers could be good on TV. Why not?

I reckon CM does deal with real life situations a lot. Like when he puts a dog into a pack. He does put the trust into his reading of the dogs energy and lets the dogs do there own thing. You can't choreograph that kind of thing imo. I think that takes courage and it is risky sometimes.

I'd rather see more indept shows/documentaries on dogs by anybody including CM.

#11 · (Edited)
Well I'm a big Cesar Milan fan and don't go running around chasing my dogs saying psst. This is funny though. I go to a superb trainer. I watch Cesar because of what he can do with these dogs not because I think I can do it- not even close or not I want to deal with the dogs he deals with. I also never seen Cesar just psst the dog and not explain what he is doing. This is interesting though as you can see how every ones perception is so different. I have seen some people take lessons with great trainers and take what they want and what is perceived and do the opposite of what the trainer is actually teaching them- just because. I don't watch superman and think I can fly- this is funny or the karate kid and think I was a black belt - well as a kid maybe for a half hour after the movie but hey that did not last long - lol!!!! Or Martha Stewart, Julia child's or the artist that can draw they made it all look easy but I did think I could become any one of those people just because I watched them in tv. I may try but if I really was interested in the above I would go and learn for take a class in anyone of the interest cooking, art , crafts martial arts etc

#16 ·
Everything dog-related in shows is fake, actually everything is. I watched The Bachelorette (yep, I do for my mindless relaxation). They were in Uruguay in a so called city of strays. She petted a "stray" dog on the beach who looked well groomed and healthy and willing lied on his back to be petted by her. I bet it was a well trained dog to make her look sweet and dog savvy.

#18 ·
I wonder if they have long discussions on cat forums about Jackson Galaxy the *Cat from Hades* host?:)
I like Cesar even though I don't agree with his dominance theory.He's charming and funny.I used to tape the shows and watch them twice.Second time with no sound just to watch his body language.

Who was that "Walkies!" lady?I used to like her too.

#23 ·
I used to like her to, way back in the day.

And when I found a book by her at second hand books, I was thrilled.

Then I read it.

If you are a fan of the kohler method of dog training, you might like the book.

#32 ·
I wrote a big reply then my puppy decided to dominate me by laying on my chest and he deleted it while he was making out with me.

Dogma I think it is totally possible...but if already clueless people hadnt then been told more bad and dangerous information....if it had been someone more like ellis...maybe less damage overall

I find Ellis entertaining and funny, I think he could possibly make it on tv but I don't imagine him going for that. I think he is too committed to the step by step process he has worked so hard on to dumb it down for tv magic, though I could be wrong.

Tyler Muto is a bit like watching paint dry for me. I do admire his work but....find him a bit dull. Since I don't watch for entertainment but to learn, it is ok. But I don't see him on tv

#24 ·
I have watched CM plenty. I watch it for the entertainment aspect. Not to be a dog trainer. I agree that the responsibility of training a dog falls on the owner to find a competent trainer. My observation lies in the failure of the dog owners not CM. However, I can see how lazy people wanting a quick cheap fix would watch his show and try and apply his techniques. Walk like your the boss, a little back kick, and a ssshh sound to bring your dog out of whatever mindset you don't like. I suppose if not for watching CM these people would either watch some hack on YouTube or do nothing.

Reactions: dogma13
#28 ·
That would be this guy:
Learn | Jackson Galaxy

He works differently in regards Cat V Dogs, then I do or recommend ,,, to much screwing around, escape routes, feeding with separation between the Cat and Dog etc, for my taste ... but he gets results. :)

I say train "Place" incorporate "No Free Roaming (the Dog)" and the "Dog Never Chases the Cat ... and call it day. But hey that would most likely make for a "Boring Show??" :p

#29 ·
I have used the Tssht sound when my cats or dog tries to get into mischief and I catch him/her in the "I know she/he's thinking about it" those moments you can see the wheels turning. It works. Words are a dime a dozen but when I use that noise they stop or go the other way. I have used it to keep Joey from going places he shouldn't or stalking a ground hog--we have a super fat one that eats our apples. Now, will this noise work when they are already in the thick of it? Nope. Because it's already gotten that far haha. But preemptively it does have it's merits. I like the Cesar basic rules and what to do when you meet an unfamiliar dog, those things I'm okay with. I have found that in every trainer, there are some things you will agree with and some you won't.

Reactions: Chip18
#36 ·
White fang and Call of the Wild -- loved them when I was a kid. Yeah, there is dog fighting in one or the other, beating the dog with a club, and yeah, dog behavior wasn't really accurate. It was fiction. At the same time, I do not doubt that the cruelty occured and the belief that that was what was happening and why existed.

Reactions: dogma13
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.