German Shepherds Forum banner

Any Beagle Owners Out There?

6K views 48 replies 15 participants last post by  llombardo 
#1 · (Edited)
So this little guy was picked up and brought to the Chicago Police Department, where they fell in love with him and played with him all night. Right now the city shelter is full and every time a stray comes in another dog gets put to sleep to make room, then who knows what happens once the stray hold is up. So I drove an hour to pick him up. I know nothing about beagles except they can be jumpers and they bark. What I know about this guy is that he is about a year old, not neutered, likes to hump the other dogs(but stops when you say no) and loves kids. Within 10 minutes he settled in, peed and pooped outside. He won't be allowed around the GSDs, because if they don't like how Batman moves they won't like how he moves, but him and Batman play great together. He is in his crate now sleeping--really a cute little guy. I know someone that will take him if he isn't claimed. I bought him some dog food because I don't know how he would do on raw. Are they known for any sensitivities to food? They can jump, but how high? Six foot fence good? He has done this reverse sneeze a couple times--is that a beagle thing?

Here he is..

See less See more
#2 ·
I know people with beagles.Real sweethearts!They bay loudly,dig holes,love to run off and hunt things.Six foot fence is fine unless he digs under.

#3 ·
I had a beagle forever. With a GSD and a medium sized mutt. They all got along with no problem. They are very sweet and easy dogs to take anywhere or do anything. Mine didn't dig and I taught her not to howl/bay when my kids were little. Compared to a GSD, a,beagle is a piece of cake. Really more like an entire cake. You just have to be careful that they don't wander off if they catch a scent. The reverse sneeze freaked me out and I spent a lot of money on tests to be sure of what it was.

#4 ·
The biggest beagle problem that I forgot to mention.. They will eat and eat and eat. They have no shut off when it comes to food. Once, my beagle found a giant bag of dog food at a friends house and she ate so much that she literally looked like she was going to split apart. No amount of food feels like enough for them and they will always act like they are starving. It's very easy for them to get too heavy.

#5 ·
They need lots and lots of exercise. And then some. They are good dogs with families who have active children, but if they don't get as much exercise as they need, they get into trouble. They are very good at getting into things. My friend's beagle climbed onto a bathroom counter, ate dental floss and had to have major surgery. Her dog also bit a child, so they need to be socialized and handled a lot.

#6 · (Edited)
My aunt & her boyfriend have five beagles. Tails are always wagging & very happy personalities. I just start to think I could maybe someday consider owning one until THEY BAY! Oh my! Thanks, but no thanks! Unfortunately, my aunt feeds hers crap food & WAYYYYYY too much people food. They (hers) are fat, stinky & always look dirty. But 100% lovable 100% of the time. Oh, and escape artists. They dig out of the fence and run, run, run. Naughty. But strangers can catch 'em no problem & return them (name & phone number on every collar).

#7 ·
So I let Robyn meet him, she is pretty laid back plus she just had surgery, so I know I can move faster then her. He has been officially corrected for humping behaviors by both girls, the boys on the hand just stand there.

Here is meeting Robyn

Here he is being corrected by Misty for humping

Here is staying away from Robyn because he can't control his naughty self

#9 ·
Had a beagle growing up. He lived for 17 years. Have a beagle mix, right now. He just turned 4. Unlike some of y'all, I LOVE the beagle bay. It bothers me not in the least. Sadly, my current hound appears to be mixed with JRT and he has a high pitched JRT yap. He can't bay or howl worth a darn.

Beagles are a lot smarter than people give them credit for. They have excellent problem solving skills. They can learn anything. The difference between a GSD and a beagle? The GSD wants to please. The beagle wants to know, "What's in it for me?"

Most, but not all, beagles are very food motivated. Obesity is the number 1 beagle health issue. Food needs to be measured out. No overfeeding and limited treats. Beagles are great climbers. In his younger days, it was not uncommon to find 'Natty Boh' sitting at the kitchen counter eating someone's cereal out of the bowl. Do NOT turn your back on the little devils.

They can be escape artists. They can climb, dig, and squeeze - just when you think you have everything secure. I would never leave a beagle outside unattended, but then I wouldn't leave any dog outside unattended. Natty Boh has not been a problem. My previous beagle used to get out of the yard a lot - but that was back in the bad old 60s and 70s. He was a mostly outside dog. The good thing, though, is that beagles always follow their noses. In our case, it meant the beagle never got too far. He was always found in a very short period of time.

Younger beagles may be very active - some more than others. I have not found beagles to be so active, or require a ton of exercise. Natty Boh has a very nice off switch. Always has. (He just turned 4.) In true hound fashion, he sleeps 90% of the time. Sunny spots are best. He will hunt them down. Currently, he is sleeping on the couch. It is tiring work to be a hound.

Beagles are the class clowns. They will never cease to entertain you. Generally, they get along with all dogs. They are lovers, not fighters. Same sex, siblings, doesn't matter. Beagles are a true pack breed. The more the merrier.

They are often the choice of first time dog owners. They have a reputation for being an easy dog. (If there is such a thing.) I know many people who live in apartments and own beagles.

For a really good time, you want to work a beagles' nose. I believe the beagle sense of smell is in the top three of all breeds. It's amazing to watch. The nose misses nothing. We like to call them 'noses with legs.'

Does your little guy have a name? He's a cutie.

#10 ·
He isnt chipped, so we don't know his name. I've tried all the more common ones--snoopy, buddy, etc-nothing. I think I'll call him Charlie, hd reminds me of a Charlie. It's hard to correct or call a dog without a name. So far it's been Hey You and he responds. He is very friendly and settled nicely. My dogs do t event care anymore what I bring in(Midnite and Apollo will definitely not meet him). I'm not sure how long I'll have him before he is reclaimed or finds a new home, but he is safe now.

I also learned that he can't swim--he sunk like a brick then continued to go roll in the dirt and mulch, I guess that will teach me not to put him in the pool.

#11 ·
He isnt chipped, so we don't know his name. I've tried all the more common ones--snoopy, buddy, etc-nothing. I think I'll call him Charlie, hd reminds me of a Charlie. It's hard to correct or call a dog without a name. So far it's been Hey You and he responds. He is very friendly and settled nicely. My dogs do t event care anymore what I bring in(Midnite and Apollo will definitely not meet him). I'm not sure how long I'll have him before he is reclaimed or finds a new home, but he is safe now.

I also learned that he can't swim--he sunk like a brick then continued to go roll in the dirt and mulch, I guess that will teach me not to put him in the pool.
He just needs some swimming lessons. Natty Boh has a Golden Retriever friend, named Jake. Jake taught him how to swim.

#15 ·
Ohhhhh nooooo. I'm still not at that little dog in my life stage. I like my bigger dogs, so it's safe for me to take in the little guys to help out. 4th of July will bring a lot of lost dogs, it will be a nightmare. When I was younger I used to bring all the lost dogs to the police department I got this little guy from. I very easily supplied the whole police force with new pets. I was happy to help them out because they helped me many times. Not to mention it was kinda cute to see a bunch of grown male police officers playing catch with a little beagle. I haven't been in that police department in many many years, I felt like I was just there, it looked the same too. I'm just happy to help out and the little guy is safe, off the street.

#16 ·
A cute story..

I'm on vacation and so is my son, but he went to visit his fiancé at school. I didn't say a word about the dog but someone posted something and I responded. He calls and says is there something you want to tell me, I say not really. Finally he says you need to stay off social media, I tell him he shouldn't leave me alone for extended periods of time :grin2:

Reactions: Stevenzachsmom
#17 ·
Well he made it all night with no accidents and stayed fairly quiet. He has a duck he sleeps with that the policemen gave him. He is very active and inquisitive. He has learned not to hump the girls:grin2:

He loves Robyn

And Misty

Reactions: Themusicmanswife
#18 ·
He is awfully cute. We have a beagle in nose works class he have a great nose. The owner recently added a gsd pup to their family and that day the owner said the beagle was wiped out because of the pup. By the end of class the beagle was in a very deep sleep- really cute. I know they are great family dogs. I can't imagine someone not looking for him.

#21 ·
Will the shelter/police station post him under 'found' dogs? Is his owner tying to be found? Beagles can roam a pretty good distance. Like Jenny720 said, "I can't imagine somebody isn't looking for him." I bet some family is pretty frantic right now. I hope his people find him.

#22 ·
Yes he has been posted in a couple different spots. I know beagles wander but he has stayed right by my side. He wouldn't be hard to catch because he will come right to you when you call him. He was found in a pretty bad area, right in the middle of dog fighting territory, so I'm glad he is safe because who knows what would happen if one of those unsavory characters got him.

#24 ·
Yes I check it a couple times a day. There are 3 other beagles lost and one other beagle that was found. It must be a beagle thing. The amount of dogs listed daily is huge. About 20% are claimed. I know I would be looking for him if he was mine. Sometimes a neighbor might even see it and know something--nothing. I just checked craigslist too, nothing. What I have learned is that the general public is not like you or I or really anyone on this site. To not look for this pup, post something about him missing, etc is pretty typical around here. Very sad too. Just last week someone dumped 3 German shepherds in an empty lot. People were scrambling to place them and they did, no owner ever claimed them.

#26 ·
That's a fine looking Beagle, and it was good of you to keep him out of the shelter. They are not GSD's but they are not your typical "small dog" either, they are very rough and tumble and make great family pets. I had a very special red-tick Beagle female who was finer boned than most are bred to be today with a beautiful hound face. This dog of yours is similar to her in build. Good luck to him.

#27 ·
He has tons of personality. He is solid. I pick him up and it's all muscle. He loves being by me. If I run in the house to grab something, he is waiting at the door for me. He won't eat unless I'm in there with him. He only barks when he wants something, like to play with the dogs. His tail doesn't stop wagging. All of these good qualities and still no one stepping up and claiming him--it is not only crazy but very heartbreaking--this is a very good dog.

He is using his nose more and more

#30 · (Edited)
Charlie Meets Thunder

Thunder is the cat that thinks he is a dog. He will be 11 tomorrow. He likes Charlie and corrects him in the video and Charlie understands.

Charlie is good with cats:grin2:

Still no one claiming him and I'm completely baffled. This is a really good dog. His only downfall is the humping, but that is even manageable by saying no.

#32 ·
Beagles are great little dogs. I am sure his owner will claim him. If they don't, you should have no problem rehoming him.

If you want to add another dog, kill shelters are full of unadoptable breeds. Maybe one of those would be a good dog for you and would save a life.

#33 · (Edited)
Yes I'm finding that he is a good little dog. I have one person in mind if his owners don't claim him, which is not looking good.

I stopped this dog from going to a kill shelter. He was found roaming the streets right in the middle of dog fighting USA and brought to the police station and from there they go to the city shelter, which presently has the canine flu going through again. So I did save a life, in fact I saved 2 because the shelter is full and any incoming dogs take the place of a dog there longer and that pup is put to sleep. None of that matters, I did what I could at the time to help, because no one else was going to and I'm glad I did.

#35 ·
You would think, but there are several still there. It seems to be lots of small dogs right now. Beagle and Yorkies are coming up lost or found daily. 2 more beagles were found today, but thankfully the owner claimed them.

Around here you don't want a dog to go to that shelter. It's filled with sick dogs and very understaffed. I watched a dog have a seizure, went and told them, they said they would check on the dog during the 1 hr they were closed. I waited that hour outside, then went in to find the pup not in good shape. I finally just opened the kennel and held the dog, because they weren't going to do anything.

No,they get lost in the system there. Most dogs don't even make it to the adoption floor. It's really sad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.