German Shepherds Forum banner

Question about types of german shepherds

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Mary Beth 
#1 ·
May sound dumb but my german shepherd is the very first dog I have and I got him from a shelter but... Not sure what kind he is when i go to the dog park and there's other german shepherds they look smaller than him and they have other kind kind of coat... they look like the picture of the black german shepherd with tanned legs...those ones are working breeds right? But what kind is mine?! Is the one with the red collar...i mean he doesn't have the famous german shepherd mask at all...but the body and even his tail is totally different of the other german shepherds we see every day...his tail is...puffier/long hair compared to the example pic....just really curious even he's eye colour is...rare on german shepherds? He maybe a mix of something else? What you guys think? :D

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
There's quite a bit of variety in the breed, the two bottom dogs look american lines to me, not working lines. Mine are working line dogs, she's 23" tall and he's 25 (or so, he doesn't stand still much)

Reactions: karladupler
#3 ·
Could be a patterned Sable. Google that and see what you think. Im no expert but someone here can tell you for sure. I think eyecolor is supposed to match coat so you may be good there but you prolly read that German Shepherds have dark eyes. I think its just for the standard the darker the better. Again, i dont know but you will soon be informed, i bet.

#5 ·
A lot of GSDs don't fall into any specific type - it's what we usually refer to as a BYB generic pet dog - and your dog would fall into that category (not that it doesn't make your dog any less awesome than he is).

I would think, like Carmen, that there is some American show-line and some German showline in the background or your dog. The standard calls for rich pigment and dark eyes - a dog with faded coat, white paws and light eyes can still be a pure-bred GSD, but is probably from mom-and-pop breeding their family dog with not understanding or concern to the standard.

The first picture you posted didn't show up, the second picture does look like a typical working-line dog. GSDs can vary hugely in size from a small female of 55 lbs to a large male of 85 lbs - that range is still within standard.

#6 ·
Oh wow! Thank you everyone! I didn't knew about the american and german lines i had no idea of all of that! I did some research too and I love the different coats they can have :D I never thought about lack of pigmentation like carmspack said! All german shepherds are beautiful :) at some point i thought my doggie was a mix but who cares haha thanks everyone! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.