German Shepherds Forum banner

Dutch shepherd

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Julian G 
#1 ·
Hello, so im thinking about another dog. This will be awhile off, a year minimum. Probably more like 2 years. But ive been thinking about a Dutch shepherd. Kind of.

The "kind of" part comes from reading so much conflicting data that it almost scares me to take the plundge and buy one.

Ive read alot that say these dogs make great family dogs, have alot of energy but also a distinct off switch, they can do well with cats, and shouldn't be afraid of strangers.

But then I've read alot from people saying that they tend to be skittish and lose there s**t at the drop of a hat, and have extremely high prey drive, and should not be owned by a casual dog owner, only those wanting to do IPO, etc with them.

So whats the truth? Anyone have first hand experice with them? Is this something that a breeder would breed for? Kind of like a show gsd vs a working line?

Any input would be great. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

See less See more
#4 ·
They are not a beginner dog. They are not as easy going or forgiving generally speaking as a GSD. They are bred more consistently to work, bite work primarily. You need to learn to work with this so the investment in training can demand a lot of time and money. They love to bite so you need to learn how to work with this. Why do you want a working dog?

#6 ·
I'm not 100% interested in a working dog. This is where reading has led me astray. I was reading something on, i believe it was the Dutch shepherd association of America and they said the tendency to bite is a major fault in this breed. But other say it's what they were bred for

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Yes, they're also.. How do I say this, like "bi-polar." There honestly not good dogs for any beginner, you must know what you're doing and be absolutely DEDICATED. You'll be dealing with loads of issues, since you're not looking for a working dog.. It'll just be a mess, lots of stress for you too, a big headache.

#10 ·
My bestfriend has a dutchy. She is a great dog. She is extremely loyal and affectionate. However only to people in her circle. She absolutely hates anyone and anything else other dogs, kids, people etc. He got her at 8 months and has the same energy and drive as a Mal but only when it's triggered or encouraged.

#13 ·
A "Dutchie" from what I've gleaned on here ... would be jumping into the deep end of the pool?? A "regular" WL GSD is challenge enough for most people ie ... "the people thing." If the expectations of the "OP" are to have a dog that go off to family gatherings without a second thought about taking the dog?? That may prove "problematic" with a "Dutchie??"

But ... things I've learned train "Place" Crate Train the Dog and enforce a NO Free roaming in the house policy. I'd also do "Who Pets my Puppy or Dog" in here.:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/5296377-post8.html and "Place':

And "Place":
Fearful, Anxious or Flat Crazy "The Place CommanD - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

Those "should" keep them out of trouble or ... just get a SL GSD or a Shilo and call it a day ... I'd still do those things in any case ... kinda anal about them these days ... hard lessons learned. :eek:

#14 ·
I think there are good observations here. These are not the kind of dogs you can do a community obedience class and then think you are done and have a good family dog. They take a higher level of handler skill because they are smart, super fast and much more reactive and like to bite things. All of this can be good and fun but you need to understand that you will up your game substantially in training skills and you need to have the time to train, exercise and the willingness to manage this type of dog. Some individuals might not be so, but generally speaking the dutch and mal are not at all good dog park dogs. They are dominant and confident, possessive and pushy and are fine devising ways to get their way. I also say the line between tolerance and good nature and then pretty intense aggression is pretty thin compared to say the GSD. That means you have to commit to a higher level of situational awareness, obedience and management. It can be exhausting especially if all you wanted was a family pet.

On the flip side if you are into dog sports and spend a lot of time on the weekends working dogs, they are super fun to work once you figure it all out. For me I went through 4 trainers until I struck gold. The trainer I came to rely on has malinois as his own dogs and only does one on one training. While expensive, he helped me work my dutch. And yes, they excel at a job and that means a commitment to IPO, SAR, dock diving, etc. Something you do most weekends because you love it.

#15 ·
About a month ago, I met the sweetest 8 month old Dutch girl. I work in a restaurant and a long time customer who had lost their dog to lymphoma a year ago finally bought another dog. This customer came in near end of day and sat on the patio with her (not allowed, but boss had left early)...I brought her water, chatted with the owner, she just layed down nicely, alert, happy to get lovin's...everytime I came back out on the patio to check on them, she never lunged, barked or jumped up. It was as though she instantly knew (water), that I was a friend.
However, when another person passed by the patio, she would let out a little woof.
She rolled over for bellies and gave me kisses.
I fell in love.
She is from a backyard breeder. Absolutely the sweetest temperament...But I think she is going to have health problems

#16 ·
I will be getting a KNPV Dutch Shepherd in about 8 months or so. It is my first time having a dutch, but I have owned GSDs and fostered many other breeds such as pit bulls and mutts. They say the KNPV is the most aggressive line as they are bred specifically for police work and such. I have spoke with people who breed these dogs and emailed with people from Holland who have actually bred these dogs for 20 years. They tell me that training is absolutely key for them and many of these dogs are family dogs. One guy says that the problem with these dogs are is that if you do something wrong in the training process you can mess them up forever. They are less forgiving. You have to pretty much get everything right from the day you bring them home. He also told me that his dogs can do heavy protection training and then go back home with his family and relax in the living room without any problems. I got in touch with a local IPO club and they said theyd help me with the training. We'll see how it goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.