German Shepherds Forum banner

High 4 (paws) up to the gsd!

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Casto 
#1 ·
:grin2:

So many threads about problems. Sometimes it's just great to say everything's going fantastic and I love my GSD!

There's not one hour of any day that goes by without my GSD bringing happiness, laughter and joy! They're just the best:grin2:

Maybe here, we can share just the happiness of having one of these dogs in our lives. They're unbelievable smile2: Man, I just look over at mine after play and treat and she's just as happy as can be - what else can we do in this world that gives such immediate returns?... they are such awesome companions.

Share your happiness and stories - we love to hear the good stuff!! Hey you viewers that don't post much - please come out and share your happy with us!! Thanks:grin2::grin2:

#3 ·
Even though I post too much....I'm chiming in. This breed is fricking amazing...like many breeds I suppose. But any of the "problems" I have dealt with in this breed as they go through their stages.....the efforts and temporary hurdles I have dealt with are nothing compared to what this breed develops into. This breed can be a project of sorts...they are not "plug and play" dogs but what I have found...the effort I put in...is repaid so many times more than what I imagined. Incredibly smart, so full of life......and loyal.

SuperG

#4 ·
When I look back at other breeds of dogs I've had... My GSD's were no extra effort and no extra expense than any other large breed dog. all they need is a little more TIME - a little more velcro- BUT - that extra investment will return a dog with a bond and trust that you won't believe. Just my personal experience. But, the payback is huge compared to other breeds.

GSD's are #1.

#5 ·
They are the most loving and loyal dogs ever.Samson is my shadow,always aware of where I am and what I'm doing.Some may laugh or think it's creepy even,but he's become almost like an extension of myself.

Today my FIL and SIL were here visiting all afternoon and he was a perfect gentleman ,accepting affection from SIL loving on him,neutral to FIL (not a dog lover).But he very subtlety kept an eye on these non pack members and kept himself between them and me,(just in case!)He hung back and looked neutral during hello and goodbye hugs,but as soon as their car drove out of sight he got a big doggy grin on his face,rolled on his back,gave me a satisfied look."How'd I do Mom?"Ya made me proud Samster!

Good thread Stone.More stories folks!

Reactions: Casto
#7 · (Edited)
German shepherds are of course my favorite breed and sweet little Chuahuas to. They are extremely loyal and do not have to prove anything to anyone only care about their own family. They are incredibly smart almost human like smart and beautiful to look at. Really anyone would have to be a fool to want to hurt any family member or break in a persons house with a German shepherd around. They are much fun also I love the fact they love to go for long walks and swim. You can do so many things with them even just for fun- did I say such awesome dogs!!!!

I love the fact that max is so sweet I wouldn't say gentle but incredibly sweet and loving with all of us. I trust this dog completely with my kids nothing is more important then that to me. At the same time max is a great watch dog always keeping us safe- more then ready for anything that goes bump in the night. As max always sleeps in our room - he had woke us up one night and going crazy at the front door. It was the kind of bark you knew something may have been out there.

It is kind of easy training Max he gets things right away- we do have our challenges but it's pretty amazing how fast they learn. It's incredible how tuned to max is with me and how much he trusts me. We were at the vet and the vet tech were holding him for vaccines he struggled a bit but I moved where he can see me and told him to stay. That instant he stopped moving and just watched me the entire time. I was happy I could help him work through it. The other night we had a barbecue going my husband cooking. Max started whining near the sliding glass doors looking at the barbecue from inside. This made me look there was seriously burning not sure what happened as the food was not cooking that long. This new barbecue - don't like it cooks super fast -but some black smoke was coming out of the barbecue and food was petrified. Made think max would make a good smoke detector.

Picture of max drinking the water from my sons head as it was pouring over him as they were doing a ice bucket challenge video. My son was screaming like loon and max figured he would help spare him by drinking some of the water.
The second photo the look of complete devotion!!!

#8 ·
Since we are telling stories about moments with our GSDs....there is one which will always put a smile on my face and warm my heart. My mom's earliest memory in life was being bitten in the head by a large dog when she was but a wee child.....needless to say...she's scared of dogs...especially big "scary" dogs like the GSDs I have had most of my life...okay that's not the part of the story that makes me smile.... Whenever I am around my mom I keep my dog on lead and looped to my belt loop...to make my mom feel safe I guess...my dog does great and just follows me wherever and whenever I move about....no words are said..and no tight leash..she just sticks with me. One day I was at my parent's house helping my father lift some furniture...I detached the lead from my belt loop to help my dad lift a desk while my mom was sitting on the edge of the bed in the same room....my dog went over by my mom...sat next to her on the floor ....and then jumped up on the bed and sat right next to her....my dog's head at her level or higher. My mom was no doubt uptight and asked me if she would be okay.....before I could answer....my dog gave her a lick on the face...answering her question and calmed my mom just that quick....it was magical. What happened in those few seconds...erased 82 years of my mom's fear of dogs...or at least my dog. For the next hour or so...as I helped my dad lift and move furniture around...my mom was insistent that she got to hold the leash and walk the dog around the house as we worked. I know it might not seem like much...but what my dog accomplished with her gentleness at the exact proper time really impressed me because she's a live wire at many times....I trusted my dog and it almost seemed like she knew how important my mom is to me...my dog couldn't have done better.

SuperSoapyG

#9 ·
Since we are telling stories about moments with our GSDs....there is one which will always put a smile on my face and warm my heart. My mom's earliest memory in life was being bitten in the head by a large dog when she was but a wee child.....needless to say...she's scared of dogs...especially big "scary" dogs like the GSDs I have had most of life...okay that's not the part of the story that makes me smile.... Whenever I am around my mom I keep my dog on lead and looped to my belt loop...to make my mom feel safe I guess...my dog does great and just follows me wherever and whenever I move about....no words are said..and no tight leash..she just sticks with me. One day I was at my parent's house helping my father lift some furniture...I detached the lead from my belt loop to help my dad lift a desk while my mom was sitting on the edge of the bed in the same room....my dog went over by my mom...sat next to her on the floor ....and then jumped up on the bed and sat right next to her....my dog's head at her level or higher. My mom was no doubt uptight and asked me if she would be okay.....before I could answer....my dog gave her a lick on the face...answering her question and calmed my mom just that quick....it was magical. What happened in those few seconds...erased 82 years of my mom's fear of dogs...or at least my dog. For the next hour or so...as I helped my dad lift and move furniture around...my mom was insistent that she got to hold the leash and walk the dog around the house as we worked. I know it might not seem like much...but what my dog accomplished with her gentleness at the exact proper time really impressed me because she's a live wire at many times....I trusted my dog and it almost seemed like she knew how important my mom is to me...my dog couldn't have done better.

SuperSoapyG
m

A great story - moms are very important to us and your girl gave your mom the greatest gift to help get over ones fear. You must be proud. Reminds me of my daughters friends was terrified of dogs our King Charles and chihuahua helped her get over her fear - I think stemming from her mom not sure. My daughter's friend has now a King Charles and Yorkie. Now she had to get over fear of big dogs. This was one of Max's greatest joys helping my daughters friend getting rid of any fear.

#10 ·
Photos to come because they turned out awesome but this weekend the family and I took 2 of our dogs (we have 3) for a hike at our local mountain bike trails.

My family on hike consist of myself, wife, our 2 year old son (on 7/11/16 he will be 2) and my 8 month old daughter in her car seat fastened to her radio flyer red wagon! Kiera, our 8 year old 22 lb poodle and Jupiter, our 16 week GSD pup.

Two very important things for me is that Jupiter does not jump up on anyone including me and that he does not use his teeth on anyone. I know this is a lot to ask for a WL GSD dog pup. hah

Also, off leash control is very important for me and the dogs freedom so of course he has had on a long drag leash everyday no matter what out doors and a short 10 inch drag leash when we are just casual around the house. The purpose, for leash corrections. My 8 year old poodle is immaculately trained which makes training Jupiter much easier. I swear he watches and learns.

Back to point, Jupiter was VERY nippy and bitey and loved to jump up on everyone!!!! Geez, a true landshark. I had to educate my wife on the term and let her know this was possibly to be expected from a GSD dog through the teething stage etc. He would nip to nip, nip a hand while petting, couldn't get around his face without teeth and he would sneak in a lip bite in if he was licking you. Even if it was only a couple of licks. She was concerned. I KNEW I COULD GET HIM OUT OF THIS!

For the jumping, leash corrections. One training session with my wife and her best friend. Done, I now trust him to not jump up on adults. Next day same scenario except with my son Atom Orion (very controlled situation knowing what to expect from my pup, remember he 100% has a line on him. This was at 14 weeks old.) The session went great. Jupiter did exactly as i thought and I was able to correct him instantly when or just before he made his move. 5 times, he wont think about jumping up on him anymore (obv, have to keep this training refreshed but I trust Jupiter. I literally see his intelligence.)

The biting and nipping... immediate swift correction not hard just uncomfortable. Message for details lol He went from nipping with every interaction to not one "Nip Slip" haha at 1 day before 15 weeks old. He will be 17 weeks tomorrow.

Im proud to say Jupiter has my trust in those two areas and when i post pictures later of our hike you can see how Jupiter welds with the Castos and will be a great companion to my family and our children.

Long story short. Jupiter did just as good on our hike as Kiera the 8 year old poodle did. He just had his drag leash on. Kiera gets to be off leash everywhere and is verbal and signal trained... by me as is Jupiter to the commands he knows: Sit, Down, Stay, Come and, off :) lol The photos of Jupiter and my 2 year old running at the camera side by side will tell the story much better than i can type. Lol I hope yall can make it through the post. kinda wordy and everywhere.
I love my GSD !!!

#11 ·
I have several dogs, three are GSDs. All of mine get the same training and it's pretty heavy the first year. Lots of people say you lose patience as you get older, I find that with the dogs(especially when they were puppies) I learned how to enjoy all their antics. Instead of worrying or freaking out because they did something, I grab my camera and take a picture. They are all special to me and they bring me nothing but happiness. I have 7 shadows. They follow me wherever I go, they are well behaved and just very happy. I have no more babies, the youngest is going to be two and now I just look around at a bunch of pups that have settled nicely and I know that everything I put into them has paid off.

#12 ·
Lol Summer & I have quite the view out our dining room window today. 8 crazy roofers 30 feet away putting a new roof on the flat top commercial building. One is in a thong:surprise:

Summer barked at first, but this is a happy crew! and such colorful language!:surprise: I think if she could - she'd be right up that ladder with her ball.:laugh2:

#13 ·
Lol Summer & I have quite the view out our dining room window today. 8 crazy roofers 30 feet away putting a new roof on the flat top commercial building. One is in a thong

Summer barked at first, but this is a happy crew! and such colorful language!
I think if she could - she'd be right up that ladder with her ball.
Such colorful language - Lmao!!!!! That would of been a great picture to post!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.