German Shepherds Forum banner

Long car rides

839 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  selzer 
#1 ·
This morning me, my wife, our youngest child, and his cousin (both 12) Rosko just over a year old. and Athena 12ish weeks old. headed off for vacation. I was a bit nervous taking the dogs on a 9 hour plus car ride but honestly I think they were better than the 12 yr old boys. They mostly slept, some play. We stopped every couple hours at random church parking lots so the dogs could use the bathroom. The vet said he doesn't recommend rest stops yet with such a young pup. now to relax in the mountains for a week.

Reactions: selzer
#4 ·
Have fun!Post some pictures when you get a chance!
Wow sounds like a brave trip I'm sure you guys will have tons of fun!!!!
Yeah, so far it has been a blast. Little Athena jumped right into the water and started swimming like Michael Phelps. Rosko has always loved the water also so the lake is a definite hit. I just get a little nervous. I definitely have more fears for them then they do. LOL. My biggest concern is snakes. There are copperhead, timber rattlers, and diamond back snakes just to name what I believe are the most dangerous in this area of Georgia mountains. The locals say I'm putting too much thought into it. They day that dogs won't pay the snakes no mind and the snakes won't pay the dogs no mind but I believe Rosko would want to sniff and investigate any snake he seen which would lead to have being bitten. So I keep him pretty close to me. Athena is on leash if in the woods so we can keep an eye on what she is chewing on. Anyone have experience with dogs and snakes?

#6 ·
I have been lucky. Rosko absolutely loves riding in the truck. And it looks like Athena will be the same. That being said. I have a crew cab Ford f150. My wife has a suv and my daughter has a midsized car and Rosko doesn't care for either of them. He doesn't get sick just doesn't like to ride in them. Have you tried any of that medication they have for car sickness?

#8 ·
That is a lot of pups in one vehicle. Do you crate when you transport that many pups. And I wonder if the crate would help with car sickness or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.