German Shepherds Forum banner

Does my dog look full blooded?

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Zach938 
#1 ·
I am new to this forum. I have a year and a half old German Shepherd that I got when he was 6 weeks old. He is very large but when I bough him, I did not get any information about his background. He is not registered but I plan to start his own pedigree soon.

#2 ·
Zach. not to sound harsh but this whole thing is full of wrong. 6 weeks is too young to separate a dog from it's mother. buying a dog with no background is not the way to go. no registry is going to let you start a pedigree without lots of paperwork on the ancestors from what i know i could be wrong. also your pic didn't show up. i'm sure he's a lovely dog though. please try the pic again.

#4 ·
Lots of information out there about why not to get a puppy until at least 8 weeks. But that is neither here nor there.
You cannot just create paperwork and register a dog. If people were not just getting a dog to get a dog, maybe there'd be a lot less bybs and puppy mills. Maybe it'd make a difference, maybe not.
This is why paperwork is important. Amongst having a better idea of genetic predispositions. Knowing my dog has paperwork really assisted me on my decision. And I don't have to ask if my dog looks full blooded.
Good luck. Easy to post pictures.

#7 ·
Good looking boy!Looks full blooded to me.As far as pedigrees are concerned,you realize a pedigree is a family tree going back several generations on the sire's and dam's side?
There is a way to register him through Canine Partners,an AKC registry.Then you would be eligible to compete in various AKC events such as obedience,agility,etc.

#13 ·
As long as he's neutered, he can be listed with the AKC under the Purebred Alternative Listing (not Canine Companions), and compete in companion/performance events. Purebred Alternative Listing (PAL) - American Kennel Club

You could also apply for a UKC Performance Listing, which does not require altering, and compete in UKC companion/performance events. http://res.ukcdogs.com/pdf/fo4adm.pdf

However, neither one is an "alternative" type of registration, only a number that allows you to compete in sanctioned events and earn titles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.