German Shepherds Forum banner

Food Dehydrator Recommendations?

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Saito 
#1 ·
I'm finding it increasingly hard to find dog treats that are not filled with other "stuff" and/or impossible to feel secure that the ingredients are from Canada or the US. I'm thinking I might like to get a food dehydrator and start making my own dog treats. Anyone have any experience with this? Recommendations on what to look for in a food dehydrator? Cost/size?​

#4 · (Edited)
I have this 10 tray model.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016...236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=pkfd+nutrichef

It holds a LOT of food. Can also be used as a hanger.

For the dogs it has handled beef tendons, chicken feet, beef jerky, chicken breast, chicken hearts and gizzards, liver, duck wrapped sweet potato chews, and my own grain free dog cookie recipes like a champ.

I have even used it to dehydrate my guy's regular raw dinner (on the lowest temp setting) for when we were traveling.

#7 ·
A bag of organic baby carrots costs $1.69 at Trader Joe's. Cut a few into thirds and you have a pocket full of treats that you both can enjoy! :D

Fruits & veggies are an easy way to do healthy treats while you find the right dehydrator (or even after you get one, but may need some quick treats & don't have any made up).

I've been considering a dehydrator, too. Defintely going to track this thread for the future. :)

#8 ·
Thanks for the advice and tips everyone.

Moms, my stove is old, the oven won't go lower than 17O degrees, I think that may be too hot?

In looking at what's available here, I can get a Salton for $54.96 at Walmart, but the reviews are not great. Many complaints about the trays cracking. I can get a Nesco Gardenmaster with 4 trays at London Drugs for $129 on sale or a Nesco American Harvester with 8 trays at Costco for $179. Both models are expandable. I can also get Excalibur brand, various models, but the price range is more than I'm willing/able to spend at this time. The reviews on the Nesco brand are quite favorable so I'll likely go with one of these, haven't decided on which model yet.

#10 ·
Thanks, WIBackpacker. I'm leaning towards the American Harvester. I think if I were to go with the Gardenmaster, I would quickly be up to the cost of the American Harvester when adding additional trays. Hubby is not on board with this purchase yet, he thinks it will end up in the cupboards with other appliances that do not get much use, such as the breadmaker. I disagree, I think it will quickly become as indispensable as our Foodsaver, which he loves.

#11 ·
Hubby is not on board with this purchase yet, he thinks it will end up in the cupboards with other appliances that do not get much use, such as the breadmaker.
Just buy one so large that it can't fit in the cupboards. Then, he technically can never be right about it.

Who needs a dining room table, when you can make yourself a week's worth of jerky for the new all jerky diet?! Sell your old table, plates, and silverware because you won't be needing them. It'll pay for itself before you even use it!
The secret behind the jerky diet is that it is also a solid exercise program. After about 3 months, your jaw muscles will be so strong that any intruder will be more worried about a bite from you than your dogs.

...I should really get some sleep...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.