German Shepherds Forum banner

And it begins...

1K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  MyHans-someBoy 
#1 ·
I either didn't notice it before, or it has really just started... My German Shedder (albeit cross breed) is living up to his name.
He will be 12 weeks old on Monday and I don't know maybe he's just losing his puppy floof but oh my goodness floof everywhere! He is getting a beautiful golden coat coming through underneath however.
Might need to invest in a furminator!
Of course I'm allergic to him too, it seems (thought I was only allergic to cats but nope), but it's quite mild thank goodness! The cuddles are worth the sniffles.

See less See more
#2 ·
Adorable! Mine sheds profusely. I vacuum a ton, but it is full of hair as soon as I finish. The furminator worked great for my lab, but it doesn't work for the GSD. When I tried it on him it removed odd parts of his coat and he looked ridiculous and unhealthy. For him a slicker brush works best.

#4 ·
Get a rubber grooming brush. My boyfriend has these rubber palmed gloves at work. He gives me those to use. They grip the loose hair. They work great.

#12 ·
What a cutie!

Allerpet D is a spray, non-toxic, grooming emollients that cleanse the animal's hair of the antigens considered to be the prime cause of people's allergic reactions to cats and dogs. (Allerpet C is for cats).

You can't buy it in Australia, but if you search the internet you should find a supplier that will ship to Australia. I suggest you don't let your dog in your bedroom, and other major living areas in your home, for your allergy comfort.

#13 ·
Shedding was defiantly a drawback with this Breed. I found though once max is old enough I changed Fromm large breed puppy to Fromm grain free 4 star line. I noticed a lot less shedding. We use the pin brush- I think it's called - the oval shaped brush with a long handle. We bought the furminator and never used as as I heard it ripped out German shepherds fur and did something awful to their coat. We have had a furminator for our horse and never really was that impressed with it. Your pup is gorgeous by the way. We had a winter pup - when the whole entire winter was covered in snow and ice- it really stunk. You seemed to have planned it right enjoy your pup!

#14 ·
The furminator is kind of touted as a near miracle and it does an ok job when Hans is blowing his coat. The key to getting the best results with it is in using a very light touch. If you bear down it will cut the outer part of the coat..
It does a good job grabbing those little tufts of hair that you see sticking out of the coat.
Otherwise, I mostly use a zoom groom brush and Hans loves being brushed with that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.