German Shepherds Forum banner

Progress for Summer

783 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Stonevintage 
#1 · (Edited)
:grin2: Progress report only - not looking for criticism or suggestions on change of methods or negative opinions.:wink2: We are doing this on our own - not really on our own - after taking in the great tips from this site for the last year. - thank you.

Today, the nemesis dog walked down the alley. Since that owner and myself got a really good jump on the DA a couple of days ago - and since I gave her a hard correction at the outdoor cafe - The harsh corrections at the right time seems to have done wonders. Things are WAY toned down.

Summer barked but did not "charge the fence" just normal dog barks. Then 100' down my fence line she did not put on the final charge - no back legs spread and full battle cry or try to clear the 6/ fence... just a couple of more barks - and this while I was in the house and not correcting her. I was not out there on purpose because I was only looking at DA simple - not the possibility of DA/guarding me (which I will deal with separately, but I needed to see the difference).

I'm very happy - the other dog was toned way down too and I see what was meant about my dog sending the other into a total freak out too. Summer got big good girls, pets and a cheese treat for the huge improvement.

Another dog walked by with his owner 1/2 hour later when I was out in the shop and she gave one or two "woofs" and I said "Hey" and she walked away and found a bone to lay down in the shade and chew. She's on day 4 of her heat, but that doesn't affect her much - so - Good Progress! Doing a combination of the ways I've learned here.

I'm not working on anything but obedience on my dog on leash and yardI I will be so much more confident she can pass JQP's dog on an 8' wide sidewalk in the future if I can get her to stop with the fence stuff.

See less See more
#6 ·
Stonevintage continue on your own path and it will all come together for you , I admire the work and effort you are putting into this , I have read a lot of your post and find you an interesting and compelling member of this forum .

If a couple of people ( not mentioning any names , they know who they are ) want to berate you about the slightest thing then they are more to be pitted .

Please keeps us updated

#10 ·
I had a sit down with both owners of the place I went to last month when that woman walking the JRT by caused the problem at the outdoor seating outside their restaurant. They, in the last 3 weeks have all sides of the story and want me to bring her back down.... The reports they got from others verify my warning this non-customer 3 times before I said harsh words to her.

The owners have known Summer since she was 12 weeks old and say I have control over her and they've seen it and it's all good.... I told them not tourist season, maybe in the fall when it settles down.:smile2::smile2:

Anyway, I feel a lot better they got what really happened from several customers and did not have to take my word for it.:smile2: Summer's all good in their book....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.