German Shepherds Forum banner

I'm done with Puppys

8K views 49 replies 26 participants last post by  Chip18 
#1 ·
READ ALL. Ok so first off to say That I have officially put my 8 month old pure breed German Shepherd on Craigslist. With That being said let me say why I have doNE this. FIRST: The biting,whenever I grab his collar to get his mouth off stuff I don't want him biting he jumps up bites my arm like the wild animal he is and Thinks my arm is a chew toy. SECOND:pulling in front of the leash and always trying to be in the front.

THIRD:BITING S H IT That isn't his because he has no manners for anything even though we gave him plenty of toys.

FOURTH:Jumping on guests like the wild animal he is and trying to play bite them. All these wild behaviors he has is why I don't like to take care of puppys. He's in the kennel most of the day because when we let him out and take our eye off him for one second he's caught biting something thats not his or pee somewhere so I'm kinda fed up with Puppys. I tried teaching him some things but my sister keeps spoiling him and loving him which leads to him being out of control. If we were all strict he would be a good boy but of course he thinKS he can bite whoever I hope one day he bites the wrong animal and it will teach him a lesson.

Yes I know he's the happiest puppy out there but I don't think wild animals and me could get along I only like human trained animals that know what their doing. I also hate babys because they don't know what their doing their just like puppys. No I don't hate my puppy I love him but he's too wild for me and I can't take care of such a high drive/active puppy

The reasons I have just listed is why I put him up for rehome who can control him. Because hes out of control in the house whenever he's biting me I try squeeze his ear then he starts whimpering then I feel bad for doing so. I need some way to teach this wild animal some god d a m manners does anyone know what I should do. Im thinking about getting a shock collar and a prong collar to control him.

See less See more
#2 ·
I barely qualify to give advice, being a new GSD owner, but right off the bat I can infer that your pup is a reflection of you - not his fault, but yours.

You cannot expect a puppy to be a "human-trained" if you DO NOT TRAIN HIM. If you have lack of experience with the breed, find help. There are plenty of trainers willing to help, and not being able to afford one is not an excuse - there are several resources available to you including, but not limited to, books, videos, and this very forum.

"Physical" training will not help your puppy if you do not have experience. It sounds like the equipment you want to use will definitely do more harm then good on your pup, so seek professional help! And of course he will whimper if you hurt his ear - they feel pain just like we do.

I hope someone manages to take the puppy off your hands, for his sake.

#6 ·
I agree with LuvShepherds. Try to get your pup to a GSD rescue group. If you want to work on his issues (and they seem like relatively normal puppy behavior to me), you could take him to an obedience class with an experienced instructor, preferably one who has worked a lot with shepherds. His other caregivers could come with you to the classes and learn how to be consistent in training him. If price is an issue, group classes are pretty affordable. (Obviously, if your pup is dog aggressive, group classes would not be a good idea.) Also, how much exercise is he getting? Shepherds are working dogs and need mental and physical stimulation....a tired puppy is a good puppy!

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm sorry your puppy didn't work out for you but Craig's List is not the place to find a new GOOD Home for him. Where did you get him? A good breeder would want to know you are rehoming him and would want first right of refusal. That said a good breeder would be there to help you find your pup it's new home. If you didn't get him from a good breeder then it would be in the best interest of the pup to surrender him to a GSD rescue. If you give your general location we might be able to help you find him a new home.

How old is this puppy? I prong collar and definitely not an e collar on a young pup. You don't what you are doing and will cause more harm than good.

Yes... (removed by ADMIN) poor pup rehome him. But do it the right way. Contact your breeder or a GSD rescue.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
( Removed by ADMIN )

If you put your dog on Craig's list, it could be picked up by dog fighters, have its muzzle duck-taped and then given as bait to some fighting dogs to tear apart. The fighter will continue to goad the dogs to maul and maul the puppy so to teach them to keep going. Is this what you want?

Where did you get your puppy? Can you take it back?

Have you taken your puppy to classes?

It is too late, and I'm too tired for this post today. Sorry, hope you get some real advice, because this is a puppy, not a coffee table. We don't just put them out there to be picked up by the next person who has a passing fancy to have a puppy.

#9 ·
If you put your dog on Craig's list, it could be picked up by dog fighters, have its muzzle duck-taped and then given as bait to some fighting dogs to tear apart. The fighter will continue to goad the dogs to maul and maul the puppy so to teach them to keep going. Is this what you want?

Where did you get your puppy? Can you take it back?

Have you taken your puppy to classes?

It is too late, and I'm too tired for this post today. Sorry, hope you get some real advice, because this is a puppy, not a coffee table. We don't just put them out there to be picked up by the next person who has a passing fancy to have a puppy.
sounds awful but I was gonna make sure he goes to a happy family people who do that are just cruel.

#8 ·
(Quoted text removed by Admin - original post had been deleted).

Well he used to be in the house all the Time but then he got destructive so we had to start leaving him in the kemnel. He has play times but I don't mean all day maybe 5 hours of the day hes in there when we can't watch him

#12 ·
Unless you are willing to invest a lot of time and money getting a good trainer to help you turn this around, rehome him. You owe this dog a good home. The last thing should be you worrying about your money. I wish the very best for him.

Reactions: Augustine
#14 ·
It sounds like OP has found a decent place for the dogs new home and it doesnt seem like the pup is crated all day. 5 hours is not that bad. My pup is in his crate while I'm at work at least 4 hours a day or sometimes up to 8 with a break in between. This guy realizes he bit off more than he can chew and wants to do right by his pup by finding someone experienced to take him in. If i had not had this forum or had gotten a gsd as a kid like i wanted my family would have done the same due simply to lack of knowledge. What OP needs to do if he wants to keep the dog is find a working dog trainer and sign up for lessons as long as its not a board and train all this can be fixed

#15 ·
Enough with the attacks and shaming!!! Please act grownup, and help the OP place the puppy responsibly.

I deleted a bunch of posts that were childish and petty - hate to do it, but warnings may follow to remind people to be more adult.

OP sounds like he is a young person, just like dogs, people don't come out of the box knowing everything. :(

#16 ·
To the Op, people who look for bait dogs through CL are very convincing. They sometimes stage a family set up.

About two years ago there was a horrific outcome for a pup placed on cl. Worst case many had ever seen. It happened in my neck of the woods.

I tried to link but I'm not good at that yet. "Puppy Doe, craigslist" will bring up the stories.

In a world full of horrors, please don't fall prey or allow your pup to fall prey to it.

Sometimes hard choices have to be made. Sometimes a person can work through it. You know yourself best, you know your pup best.

Which ever you decide, you do have many here that can help the odds of success for either decision.

Just please help your pup with the best available options for the decision you make.

#20 ·
To the Op, people who look for bait dogs through CL are very convincing. They sometimes stage a family set up.

From the second link I provided in prior post

People who score pets for dogfighting rings have been known to show up to pick up free pets or pets advertised on Craigslist with women and children in tow to make it look like the pet is headed to a family or good home. That is why reference and home checks are so important.

#17 ·
At least contact the breeder! Most good breeders will take back the pup to rehome him and perhaps rehab him a bit before this behavior causes a cycle of rehoming.....

Lee

#19 ·
A few good reasons NOT to put your dog up on Craigslist

....is charged with turning the basement of his house into a makeshift animal torture chamber and abattoir. If the allegations are true, many innocent pets died gruesome deaths at the hands of an evil man.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/man-charged-with-torturing-and-killing-pets-he-adopted-from-craigslist.html#ixzz47bACmb6U

The dangers of rehoming pets on Craigslist and free to good home
^^^^
They may be used as bait animals for dog fighting.
People who torture and kill animals like to search the listings for new victims.
Other people that source animals for research facilities all use these ads to find pets.
A newer phenomena is pet flipping – searching free adds for pets to sell for a profit elsewhere (they often end up in one of the above categories).

#21 ·
Money aside, do what's best for the dog and that means finding him the right home. Either contact the breeder you got him from or contact a rescue, both will have the resources to assess and rehabilitate if needed and find him the proper home. It's not the dog's fault it wasn't a match, so do it for his sake

#22 ·
Guys, people who get bait dogs and dogs to torture off Craigslist are getting them for free or very cheap. Sounds like the OP is trying to recoup as much of their $1500 as possible so I doubt the pup is listed for free or cheap.

#26 ·
Sounds like the OP is trying to recoup some money. How much was not noted.
Anyone who replies to the ad will likely barter the price down.
Is the dog neutered?
Another risk as unscrupulous people will buy, use for breeding and/or flip the dog for more money. This dog could end up back on craigslist as new owner may also be in over their head and give up on said dog too.

OP, you said you love him. Show him you care by doing what is suggested. Rescue will have the skills to find an appropriate home.
This dog is biting. He changes homes after spending his short life with you could result in a dangerous bite to the "family" looking for a "family" dog.

Now please advise the area you are in, so the many helpful people here can point you in the RIGHT direction.

#24 ·
I'm horrified someone would sell a dog on CL. Some rescues will allow people to give up their dogs as separate individuals and you might be able to get some money back. Please don't sell the dog to a stranger. If you insist on selling, contact a local GSD training club, explain the situation and see if someone there wants to buy an untrained out of control older puppy.

Your dog is no longer worth $1500. It will cost over $1500 with a professional trainer to undo the bad habits the dog has learned or $1500 in time by an experienced dog owner. You did that by not training.

I'm trying very hard to be descriptive without sounding rude.

#25 ·
I'm also going to say please don't sell your pup on Craigslist. There are so many nightmare stories as had been mentioned. Many people who say they have a loving home to offer are just mere words. If you need to rehome this pup please do responsibly as you do owe him this. It sounds like this pup has gotten away with many bad behaviors which only escalated. a recommended trainer can fix with time and patience. If you do find a home please make sure it's not someone from Craigslist and his new home is qualified to handle and train a pup who has these issues.

#28 ·
We have to tell about what happens when the dog goes to Craig's list. This man is NOT going to find someone who will give him 1500$ for his puppy. He will NOT find anyone who will give him half that. After fruitless attempts to get a good portion of his money back, if this guy is really wanting to get rid of the dog, he will accept little to nothing for him.

And the pretty lady with the story of her kids who just lost their father, and their dog of 14 years just may be the ticket. She will assure him a loving home for the dog. She may even bring children with her. And he will be so ready to let the dog go, that it will seem the perfect thing. And this could be a dog fighter having his girl friend procure a cheap/free dog for him.

I repeat, no one is going to give $1500 dollars or even $700 for an 8 month old, unruly, untrained puppy.

Do the right thing for your dog, and call the breeder. Take him back to the breeder. His faults were caused by your failure to train him and work with him daily, to take him to classes and work with him at home. The dog is fixable. Will take more time, but YOU will learn how to provide proper leadership to a dog. And then you will be able to have what you envisioned when you purchased your dog.

So, you have choices:

1. Spend more money, time, and a lot of energy, to find an experienced trainer and work through his adolescent stage. In the end you gain a great dog, and experience in raising and training dogs.

2. Lose the $1500, and take the dog back to the breeder or try to find a reputable rescue who will take an owner-surrender. Dog is gone and so are your issues. You go away having learned that you aren't cut out for raising and training an intelligent working breed puppy. If you get a dog again, try an adult with a known temperament, and then take the animal to classes and learn how to communicate with him and make him a member of your family, before issues arise.

3. Stay your course. Advertise your puppy, and then try and judge the people who would like to come and take him away.

Again, the problems your puppy has are due to your leadership/lack of training. You owe it to this guy to either work through it, or get him to someone good. This puppy should not suffer a terrible fate because he landed with you. Yes, yes, we all started somewhere, and many of us made a mess of our first GSD. So, up to this point, what has happened is water under the bridge, can't change it. But what you do from this point, is up to you. Make good choices for your dog.

I am not going to give any advice about dealing with your dog's problems other than finding a good trainer who can work hands-on with you and the dog. If you post your general location, some people here can probably give good recommendations.

Good luck.

#29 ·
Castlemaid, since you have smacked us for saying something about the language in the guy's post, can you please go through it and remove the offensive language so we can be family-friendly?

#31 ·
I think this guy is just posting to stir up our emotions. His first post is 11:04am EST last night. Second and third just after midnight today after he received some attention. At selzer's request, I'll keep this family friendly and not write what I'm really thinking about this guy.

Likely some sickie that couldn't sleep and wanted to make trouble. I don't know that and can only pray I'm right but for the fact he hasn't been back.

Lynn & Traveler

#33 ·
I think he's a kid. Usually, kids are the ones that need to swear to prove they can. I agree that he may be doing this just to get us going, but on the chance that he really has a pup that he is overwhelmed with, possible, we are giving him advice.

#34 ·
Whoever this is this is an article about about what happens to dogs sold on Craigslist I found another article that was so disgusting it would be deleted from the thread but they found that monster I could not read all of it.
This article if a kid it is disturbing- if it is a sickie they deserve to be disturbed.
https://our-compass.org/2012/04/11/...gslist-dog-killer-sentenced-in-west-virginia/
There are so mAny more stories like this so do not doubt it only happened once.

#35 ·
Well I say ... he gets a pass! It's a OMG, what have I gotten myself into moment.

I had one myself, Pack Fights and my Dog is Growling at Company, what do I do????? I never saw any of that coming, but I got it done without a Trainer I might add and force free.

Yeah he (apparently) got taken by surprise ... crap happens, it is what one does afterwards that matters. :)

There are answers available, if he wants to continue onward with this "puppy" and of course, for the puppy biting thing ... I got it covered. And no years of experience needed. If he gets the biting crap uncontrol ... things may seem different to him??

But if he's gone??? Not much point in me going on ... pretty sure that this is not the only out of control "puppy" out there. :)

#37 ·
Well I say ... he gets a pass! It's a OMG, what have I gotten myself into moment.

I had one myself, Pack Fights and my Dog is Growling at Company, what do I do????? I never saw any of that coming, but I got it done without a Trainer I might add and force free.

Yeah he (apparently) got taken by surprise ... crap happens, it is what one does afterwards that matters. :)

There are answers available, if he wants to continue onward with this "puppy" and of course, for the puppy biting thing ... I got it covered. And no years of experience needed. If he gets the biting crap uncontrol ... things may seem different to him??

But if he's gone??? Not much point in me going on ... pretty sure that this is not the only out of control "puppy" out there. :)
Kudos to you! Pat yourself on the back! You got it done without a trainer, awesome! Well, you had a pack of dogs, so, obviously, this was not your first experience with dogs. But whatever.

The number of people that can read a book and train their first dog that they have allowed to have a lot of nuisance behaviors until it is 8 months old, without anyone helping him figure the dog and his own interaction with the dog out, are not that many.

Any trainer can teach people to teach their dog to sit, down, stay, heel. No problemo! Put a prong collar on the dog, and it will be doing it in one session. With another four or five sessions to back that up, he will be able to increase distance and time and have a good start on the basics.

A good trainer assesses the dog AND the handler, watches the interaction, the timing and tone of praise and correction, offers different methods of training the same thing with respect to the parties involved, notes the body language of the handler and of the dog. You can't get that from a book.

So while YOU might be able to do it without help, did you get as far as you might have done if you had help?

Someone new to dogs, or new to the breed, or new to this particular type of dog, or who is facing a problem they haven't dealt with before would be wise to find an experienced trainer to work with.

Reactions: misfits
#36 ·
I was always told "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". Which is why I don't typically respond to this type of post, but I do commend those of you who have invested time and thought in your responses. However, I really think this is a troll. I've read and reread the op's email and it does not read to me as though the op is sincerely looking for advice or help. He/she has made their decision. If so, why tell us? Is it to get a rise out of us? There are also comments in the op's email that I think are meant to get a rise out of everyone, ie ".. I also hate babies ..." and " ... I try to squeeze his ear ..." Interesting that the op has not responded to anyone's post as yet. I think the op is sitting back, watching and enjoying the ruckus they've created.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.