German Shepherds Forum banner

'Rescued' family GSD, dog door advise?

749 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Springbrz 
#1 ·
New to board (I've seen great things here!). My dad recently had to relocate our family GS of 11 years because she did not get along with the new GS puppy (who is now 10 months). Anyways, my fiance and I adopted her and are looking for dog door advice.

'Sarah' has always stayed outside while my dad is at work. Well, today I stayed home and 'pretended' to leave so that I could see how she would do alone in her small yard. We live coastal, so the weather is generally nice. She has plenty of shade, dog house, etc. However, a few times today she wined and clawed at our back screen door. I suspect this is because she is alone in her new territory. We are considering getting her a dog door, but will need to swap out our current exterior door, since we are renting and do not have a slider. Although Sarah has never been allowed inside during the day, I think this would probably be the best option for her to come and go inside/out. Exterior doors are pretty expensive. Has anyone found an affordable exterior door for short term? Again, we are renters, but the land lady is fine with our plan to swap out the current door for a cheap one that we cut into to. Home Depot is ridiculous. We will probably check out the local thrift stores (e.g., habitat for humanity) this week, but would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to where to find a simple exterior door! Nothing on craigslist currently....

See less See more
#2 ·
Thank you so, so, so much for saving this girl. Getting year of an 11-year old dog because she's been replaced with a puppy makes my blood boil. It's a wonderful thing you're doing.

The Habitat ReStore and Craigslist were going to be my two recommendations. Or get to know some contractors? I think a dog door is a good idea. I have one and Kopper loves it. He actually chooses to spend a lot of time outside but likes to go in when it's hot or rainy.

Do you have any low windows? I once used a low exterior window as a dog "door"-- I created a panel out of plexiglass that the window sash could go on top of and then had room in the plexiglass for the dog door. Lots cheaper than buying a new door.

#3 ·
Thanks for the kind words Emoore...The whole territorial thing turned out to be a nightmare. But, the ultimate outcome turned out the best it could. I spent many years with Sarah, so she has already taken to her new home well.

No low windows here. I think we will just have to keep checking out the Habitat ReStore and CL. Until we find a door, she will just have to stay outside during the day (~7 hours). Hopefully barking/whining are not an issue (they haven't been before).

#5 · (Edited)
Exterior doors are indeed pricey.

I have an odd thought, though. This may or may not work, though, depending on your comfort level with it & the design/location of the doorway.

Rather than replacing the good exterior, keep it. And install one of those cheaper wooden doors that are normally for indoors. The thing is, you would have to install it so one swings inside, and the other swings outside. Both doors won't be able to be closed at the same time. Use the cheapy wooden door to add the doggy door for when you're away & Sarah is on the premises. Use the proper exterior door when she is inside with you at bedtime and when you're away and she's coming for the car ride.

The thought of it working is...well, you'll have a gsd on the premises. If someone is so determined to break into your home despite a gsd being there...the door you have doesn't really matter at that point. They'll be breaking in regardless of the toughness of the door. If they're committed to getting pass the gsd, they aren't going to go, "oh the heavy door is locked? Guess I'll just go somewhere else." They're going to either break through it one way or another, find a window to break through, or whatever other way.
Plus, the door from a far is going to be tough to determine if it is a heavy door or just a wooden one. Possibly paint it & stick some glass on it to make it look more like a sturdier door.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.