German Shepherds Forum banner

Small dog coming under fence into yard?

4K views 42 replies 21 participants last post by  MineAreWorkingline 
#1 ·
So a couple weeks ago I had Robyn outside(on leash) talking to my neighbor when a yorkie decided that he was going to eat her. It was bark, growl, lunge and run away then repeat 50 times. Owners couldn't catch him, he ran around and under the car. They were still chasing him when I went in.

Let's fast forward to today...

I come home and find said dog by himself at my house. I called him, he barked and we repeated this down the block. My concern? He is so small he can fit under the gate area and I don't have a good feeling about this. I have 3 locked gates around the property, none of which I can see from the back door. When I got him to his house I asked them if he lived their or was just visiting--sadly he lives there and I foresee an issue. Once they picked him up he stopped barking and kissed my hand. I got his name for future adventures because I'm positive it will happen again. They didn't even know he was missing and it's pretty dangerous with cars and coyotes for the little booger. I told them that I have GSDs and I do t want to see him hurt or worse. I kindly asked them to keep him on their property. They seemed to understand my emphasis on having GSDs. I'm pretty sure that at least a couple of mine would not be happy about him in the yard. I don't even think they would like him if I slowly introduced them to avoid an issue, he is to small and to yappy(but he is cute)

Would I be responsible if he snuck into my yard? This is slightly aggravating becausevi don't want to see him hurt period.

Here is Sneakers

See less See more
#2 ·
The one thing that keeps coming to mind in your situation is all the cases I've seen lately on the judge shows. Dog comes under fence into yard. Resident dog(s) harm it. Judge finds in favor of the small/loose dog owner or splits the cost 50/50 because the homeowner "knew" the fence wasn't "secure".

It's not pretty but I've seen someone that used 2x4s to block off the bottom gap. They put a bracket on each side of the gate and laid the 2x4 in them. Like and old time castle gate barricade except on the ground. When they needed to roll equipment like a lawnmower into the back yard they could pick up the 2x4 but otherwise and animal couldn't push it in from the outside.

#4 ·
This stinks. It's a vinyl fence that I paid a lot of money for to destroy with brackets and I would have to use the brackets because my guys would think the wood was to play with. Although I don't think he could move the wood on the other side. He is no more then 5-6 pounds. I have concrete things as borders, maybe those can be used. It's going to look awful, my neighbors will be thrilled.

#3 ·
If I were you, I would try to block off the bottom of the gate. Even if your dogs like the little dog, the size disparity could result in serious harm by accident.

There once was a kitten being used for bait in a yard up the street from me. I wasn't sure what was going on until I saw the kitten tumble out under the gate and onto the sidewalk. The gang followed with their Pit and sicced the Pit on the kitten again. That is when I risked all and ran up to save it. When the authorities were contacted they initially did not want to act on it saying they could not as the law prohibited them from doing so when it occurred on private property. It wasn't until I convinced them that the attack continued out onto public property that they decided to act. So check your local laws, you might not be liable for anything that occurs if the dog gets into your yard.

#5 ·
I definitely do not want this dog to get hurt in any way. He is so tiny. I don't understand how anyone would let a dog of this size run the streets, that gets me mad. A cat could probably beat him up. I'm hoping that now that I know his name he will come to me if I see him.

#8 ·
You could by a solar powered electric fence -- about $120. A bag of insulators -- about 12-20$, and a real of wire. On the outside of the fence, every so many feet put up the insulator, thread the wire and connect it to the element. Turn it on. Forget about it.

These are safe for cattle, sheep and dogs. Dogs respect them. The Yorkie will get hit one time, and then it won't matter if the fence is on or not, she will just avoid the wire.

#9 ·
I like Selzer's idea!I saw someone using painted cinder blocks as planters for annuals along a fence line.Of course more work for you to keep them watered,but pretty:)

#11 ·
Laws are different in different areas. Even if you were not held liable it sounds like the makings of a really bad day. I do think you are liable, though. One time many years ago I found a dead rabbit in my back yard, no apparent injury, possible my dog caused the rabbit to have a heart attack. I called AC to come out thinking it was still alive, they came right away, they said I should ask my neighbors if it was their rabbit, if I found the owner I should offer to compensate because I was liable for it.

Great ideas your getting on that gate.

#12 ·
See, I don't understand that. Ok, if a 18 month old kid can wander up to your dog and get eaten, yeah, you are liable. But DOGS ARE PREDATORES!!! A rabbit can be killed by a dog or a coyote or a cat or a fox or a hawk or an owl! Why would a pet owner be liable for a rabbit coming into YOUR yard and dying from fright or flight of mauling???

Why would a small dog owner, whose dog is out and about not be liable when it goes into another dog's yard? I mean, your yard should be secure enough to keep out 2 year old kids, and keep your dog in. But it should not have to be secure enough to keep the neighbor's pet hamster out. Where do you draw the line??? People have pet rats, pet snakes, pet birds, pet spiders -- ew! And your dog kills their tarantula and you should buy them a new one??? Maybe, after they pay for my heart attack!!!

Please, someone, turn the lights on this dream has gotten really bad all the sudden!

ETA: I suggested the electric fence wire because, yes, it would be a bad day if the neighbor's little dog got mauled in your yard. But NOT because I think you would be liable in any way.

#13 ·
Put a sign up that reads 'woof woof,' right under your 'dogs on premise' sign. That way, any wandering dogs can read the warning, too, and you shouldn't be held liable.

If you add a picture of the fence from inside your and one from outside, we could see exactly what you're dealing with to suggest more actuate 'fixes.' Some suggestions make the yorkie-sized hole seem much bigger than I would think it is.

#14 ·
Where do you draw the line??? People have pet rats, pet snakes, pet birds, pet spiders -- ew! And your dog kills their tarantula and you should buy them a new one??? Maybe, after they pay for my heart attack!!!
T/j - sorry :p

I have had the same pet chilean rose hair tarantula for 19 years now. The old gal is too stubborn to die.

She once escaped her cage. I found her. 3 YEARS later. AFTER I had moved into a different house. She must have been inside some piece of furniture or something.

Let me tell you. Finding her under my laundry that day practically did give me a heart attack!

#17 ·
Lombardo, you received plenty of good suggestions for how to prevent the little dog from getting in your yard, so the only thing I am going to say is "don't hesitate." You remember that Newlie came close to killing the little dog next store, they were each in their own yard, but the fight took place underneath the fence.

#18 ·
That's just what I don't get. Why should I blow more money out of my pocket to further blockade my fence when it's their dog that's causing the problem on MY property? Sorry to be so upfront but if it were me, that dog's got whatever's coming to it and shame on it's owners for not even attempting to correct this issue. if this is happening frequently, you'd think they'd take preventative measures, which I hope they do.

#19 ·
It is not a huge opening at all, but this dog is so small--he is about the same size as a rabbit. The gate is about 4-5 ft wide and there is a few inches opening because it's kinda on a angle because of the ground. I wonder if the fence people can lower the gate part? I will look at that when it's light out tomorrow. He wouldn't come in because of the dogs, but he might try it in his wanderings. He seems to be exploring everywhere. His first reaction is to bark and run then bark. He stopped this once we got to his house, then he stood still and quiet about two feet from me.

The rest of my yard has stone around the bottom so no creatures can dig there way in--I had a skunk that tried real hard but stopped once I added the stone.

These are the same people that had a beautiful lab that was always running away. I think they got rid of him(they had to pay fines all the time for him when AC got him). Last summer the police came to my house because that dog was registered to my address(they used to live in my house) because they found the lab in bad shape from the heat and rushed him to the vet. The city covered the bill and wanted the owners to pay them back. I think they got rid of him and got this one. Not good owners. I suppose I could call AC when the dog is out and about--it might be the only thing that can protect him. I'm not fond of that idea but it might save this poor pups life. I'm not the only one with bigger dogs in the area and there are coyotes everywhere.

#20 ·
I'm thinking if I measure it I can get a piece of wood--paint it white and cut it to size and put it in that gap. It would be under the gate and not on one side or the other. I think that could work and it would be easy enough for me to move when needed. The gate in question is the wider then the other one along the street because of the riding mower, it is the gate most used.

#21 ·
Call AC. May keep the dog safe. And go ahead with your painted 2 x 4 - and don't forget to move it when you use the gate! Because if you are like me, you will trip over it otherwise...

BTW my neighbor has a tiny yorkie. Which is not in a fenced yard BUT she does not come under the fence. Heck, she could probably come through the 4 x 4 livestock fencing.

#22 ·
Just thought I would share this story. One of my coworkers has a smaller dog (poodle/shih tzu mix maybe) that got under the fence of some big dogs. He lets his young son take him over to the school yard off leash. Recipe for disaster right? Kid, dog, off leash.. Well small dog runs up to a fence line and finds a malamute type dog on the other side. He goes under the fence and gets attacked and bit badly. I guess the owner of the property/large dog was around and called his dog off or broke it up before the malamute killed it. Dog is seriously injured with bite that goes over his back end. Kid runs home to get dad, they show up at the house and get the dog back and take to emergency vet. They had to go back to emergency vet again over the weekend. He said the bill was $1800. I don't know the in depth details of injuries. Owner of the small dog does not think he, his son or dog are in the wrong and ask the other owner to pay the bill. I think out of quilt the other guy ended up paying half and the sad part of this story is the malamute was PTS on the owners decision I guess. I don't know why the owner of the malamute would do this, I only got one side of the story. Sad ending. I guess I shared this just to point out that even if your dogs, gates, property are secured and that little tiny dogs does get in. The owners might not take responsibility, might try and put blame or law suit on you etc. They might seem like nice people right now but that can change when something like this happens.

If it were me I would try and figure something out with the fence gaps just for the peace of mind.

#23 ·
Just thought I would share this story. One of my coworkers has a smaller dog (poodle/shih tzu mix maybe) that got under the fence of some big dogs. He lets his young son take him over to the school yard off leash. Recipe for disaster right? Kid, dog, off leash.. Well small dog runs up to a fence line and finds a malamute type dog on the other side. He goes under the fence and gets attacked and bit badly. I guess the owner of the property/large dog was around and called his dog off or broke it up before the malamute killed it. Dog is seriously injured with bite that goes over his back end. Kid runs home to get dad, they show up at the house and get the dog back and take to emergency vet. They had to go back to emergency vet again over the weekend. He said the bill was $1800. I don't know the in depth details of injuries. Owner of the small dog does not think he, his son or dog are in the wrong and ask the other owner to pay the bill. I think out of quilt the other guy ended up paying half and the sad part of this story is the malamute was PTS on the owners decision I guess. I don't know why the owner of the malamute would do this, I only got one side of the story. Sad ending. I guess I shared this just to point out that even if your dogs, gates, property are secured and that little tiny dogs does get in. The owners might not take responsibility, might try and put blame or law suit on you etc. They might seem like nice people right now but that can change when something like this happens.

If it were me I would try and figure something out with the fence gaps just for the peace of mind.

That is sad. The one thing I can guarantee is that I would never have my dog put to sleep, pretty much in any situation.

#24 ·
While building my kennel, because the two girls, my Arwen and my brother's Jasmine, would kill each other, I had Jazzy temporarily on a chain in the front yard. The neighbor's kitten came over and was attacked. I was there and got the kitten away from the dog. I carried it back to its owner. The next day I asked about it, and it did not make it. I felt awful. But they said, "it's an outside cat, stuff happens." I live in the country and outside cats are there for rodent control and we like them, but people do not keep cats in their yards.

I did not offer to pay anything, and they did not expect it. The dog I was responsible for was contained on my property and did what dogs do.

The dog was taken home by my brother two years later and lived to be 13 with him. He had 3 indoor cats that lived with this dog, and never an issue.

Too many pet owners do not understand that aggression toward a small animal, trespassing on the dog's owner's property does not translate into general aggression to pets and humans. It is flat out tragic that the Malamute owner killed his dog for something like that. For that, I would let them sue me, I would try for a jury trial if at all possible. No way would I part with a nickel over that. People need to take back their lives and expect common sense to prevail in law.

#26 ·
I agree that because a dog might hurt or kill a small animal on the property they live on does not translate to aggression elsewhere. I know my dogs, they aren't aggressive but I don't know how they would act if one got in and it would depend on the critter, how they act and how they move. 4 out of 7 of my dogs would not hurt this small dog. Robyn is iffy, but she favors small dogs. Midnite would hurt the dog trying to play. I think Apollo would be the issue and the one that does damage. If all three were out, it would be a nightmare. Both Apollo and Midnite have found baby birds and alerted me, did not hurt them. Squirrels? That is up in the air--the squirrels are always talking to Midnite and drive him nuts. A rabbit, raccoon or skunk would be bad. In any of these situations I would not even consider putting my dog to sleep. I'm confident that if a small kid wandered into the yard, the kid would get kissed to death.

#27 ·
Llombardo, besides closing the gap, I would start a paper trail, if you decide not to call a/c at least journal every time you see the dog loose (date time all details etc) along with what you are doing to prevent him going under the gap ( attach any receipts of supplies).

Sounds like a lot of nitty gritty shouldn't be necessary but if the worst were to happen, your documents may save you more grief from officials.

Just my opinion, I would call a/c at least once so they have documentation also and it wouldn't come back at you as a "if you knew he was always loose ,why didn't you ever call".

I'm a firm believer in .. Protect your butt...

#28 ·
I have that option and since they don't care one way or the other I can always approach them on rehoming the dog--I already have a good home for him if they opt to go that route instead of paying fines every week:wink2:

#29 ·
I wouldn't call animal control on a loose dog if I knew who the dog belonged to. If the dog was tearing up my garden, or chasing livestock that I owned (I don't own livestock), or had attacked one of my dogs, then I would call the authorities, if I already called the owner, and there was no satisfaction there. Ok, if your dog is injured or killed by another dog, money beyond paying the vet isn't going to give satisfaction, but if they apologize and tell me that they will keep the animal home by building a fence or taking it out on a lead, or something, I am not going to call AC.

Calling AC, if the owners of the dog already paid for the damages, does nothing but put the neighbors in a bad place. AC will go over and harass them. They will give them a fine or tell them that they will give them a fine if the dog is loose again. How does that help me? If I can get that same assurance without involving AC? The difference would be a public record of incidents against the dog that might be used in the future if the owner screws up again, and a really bad feeling for a neighbor to have towards me.

What does that record do? I have no stake in retaliating against a dog. Yes, the owners should be more responsible. I shouldn't drive 85mph on my way to work. Is it every person on the road's job to call in the Gestapo after me every time I stick a toe out of line?

If I witnessed a murder or a theft or some other violent criminal behavior, then I would call the police and report it. Sure. If I smell my neighbors burning garbage, I am not calling in the cops for that. I don't care if it is illegal or not. That is their business.

We have to live in this world, sometimes in pretty close proximity to other people, and with respect to that, we keep our animals at home and try to ensure that they are not a nuisance, we tread carefully in the wee hours of the morning so as not to disturb them, we notice suspicious activities of strangers on their property as well as our own, so if something were to happen or does happen, we can maybe give them a heads up. We don't turn the neighbors into the authorities for minor misdemeanors, for not being as responsible with their pets as we are. I find it a little unsettling how quickly everyone wants to call a cop, when they could just as easily be a friend/neighbor.

#31 · (Edited)
Dogs get out on accident, I get that. In this case these people do not care and it happens over and over again. I never called AC on the lab. I would just bring him home. It's not cool for any size dog to run the streets, but this one has all odds against him. Cars, coyotes(see one at 10:30 this morning on my block), Hawks and Eagles. The only reason I would do things different with this one is for his own safety, because I care more about that then his owners. Today he was in my neighbors yard barking at him(no fence or dogs there).

These people just don't care. The lab was picked up weekly by AC and good samaritans.

#32 ·
Well guess who I just brought home again? I tried explaining again how dangerous this is. They laughed and said he just doesn't want to stay home.

#33 ·
Don't take him home next time. Take him to the shelter. You are stressing over the welfare of an animal that is not your responsibility. Make it theirs. Don't let him get injured, so get him and take him somewhere safe.

Heck. You can even tell them the address of the owner, to ensure they get contacted. So it enough, have them get fined enough, and they will either straighten up or let them rehome him.

Sorry. But I think the days of being the polite concerned neighbor are gone. These people are not going to fix anything with you being kind.

#34 ·
And if the shelter puts the dog down -- owner didn't show up to bail him out, gave him 2-weeks for him to be claimed, 3 days to be adopted, wasn't his lucky day, euthanization list.

Once upon a time, someone gave me a shepherd mix that they said the land lord would throw them out, so they couldn't keep her. They said they found her wondering and she had a collar but no id. I thought she looked well-cared for. I took her and got her her shots, and then drove her to the shelter. I explained what the lady told me, and said she looks like somebody's dog. It was just a pup.

3 days later, I called and asked about her. They said they sent her off to NY. I said, what??? I was currently looking for my girl, and was shocked they could send a stray three states away without allowing people a chance to find the dog at the shelter. They said they send smaller dogs to a shelter in NY, so they couldn't have sent mine off. Whatever. I told them that that dog looked cared for, she was someone's pet. I can't believe they would ship her out that quick. They acted like I was lying to them. Shrudge and laugh, like "yeah, right."

I'm sorry, but I am not going to drop any dog that I know has a home off to the gargoyles at a shelter. It might protect the dog from a coyote attack, only to be gassed or stabbed to death. And they do not necessarily call the owners even if they know the name/phone number.

Take a hold of the dog, call your neighbor and tell them to come get their dog. If they say, "just let her go, she'll come home." Tell them that they can come and get their dog, or you will have Animal Control collect her.

#36 ·
Sorry. But you think it's better for the dog to hit by a car and possibly suffer, get torn up by another dog, and suffer, get picked up by an eagle or an owl or disembowled by a coyote?? Than to be taken to a shelter and possibly euthanized humanely??or the owners get fined, or the dog gets shipped up north and adopted? Really?

Lombardo if you feel so responsible for the welfare of the dog, take it home and call animal control. EVERYTIME. Make it such a pain to both AC and the neighbor that they do something.

#37 ·
No, make them come to YOUR house to collect their dog EVERY TIME, else you call AC. They avoid a fine by coming, you protect the dog from the coyotes and road hazards. The owners get tired of having to come and get their dog, so they keep their dog at home.

GSDSAR, yeah, if I knew a dog who I knew had a home was euthanized because I ran it up to the shelter to teach the owner a lesson, I would feel terrible. If the dog was eaten by a coyote because I didn't bother doing anything about the neighbors letting their dog run loose, I'd feel bad too. I guess I would just have to figure out what scenario would make me feel worse. For me, I would feel worse about having a hand in the dog's demise. But I would probably collect the dog and call the owners -- been there done that.

Poor dog. It was a border collie, afraid of storms and it come along and trotted along with me as I mowed my lawn. I found out later that it went to my neighbor's house found an open door and went upstairs and crawled in bed with my neighbor, nice dog! But when I called the guy down the road to come and get him, he did, and he then took him in to be neutered. I felt bad about that. Seemed to think it would keep him from roaming. He turned up missing a few years later. Not sure what happened to him. Farm dog afraid of storms.

#38 ·
I have had numerous issues with loose dogs on the street I live on. 4 of them being dog aggressive. I was paranoid to walk any of our dogs down our own street. I called the police the 1st time my dog was attacked. They gave us the number for Animal Control and told us to call A.C. every time we saw a loose dog. Well, the lady with 2 of those dogs moved, the guy with 1 of the dogs gave the dog to his sister, & the other one just happened to be a random time the dog got loose & isn't the norm. We still have a very old Newfoundland that is loose a lot. He comes into our front yard & pees on our nice bushes that we don't even allow our own dogs to pee on & it craps in our yard. ? He goes back home if he sees anyone coming, but I do have video footage of him loose, wondering in the street.

In your case, since you have spoken with them several times, I would take the dog to Animal Control or catch & hold the dog until A.C. Comes to pick it up & tell them where it lives, that you have had several discussions with them about it & you'd like them to talk to them & that you want to file a formal complaint & ask to get the file number for your records. I get mad at the Newfoundland's owners, not cos the dog is mean, he's a nice dog, but because they put his life in danger & mine, & others. I ride a motorcycle. What if he caused me to crash & potentially hurt myself?

From personal experience, I have found that 1 on 1 talks with them will not fix the issue. They don't see it as a big deal. If you get some sort of authorities involved, they take it a bit more serious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.