German Shepherds Forum banner

Rich/Poor GSD owners - Show/Activity vs Pet

15K views 126 replies 53 participants last post by  selzer 
#1 ·
Thought this might be a good discussion since I've come up against this wall so much lately.....it gets a little frustrating. The mods say this site is for everyone - but sometimes there is a great wall separation by what is best and what is affordable by the new pet owners..... the advise given can be unattainable by the person asking for help.

The have's

1. Buy from the best breeders, recommended lines, imported or transported from across state, lengthy waiting for litters, network of who's who in the GSD world, knowledgeable with GSD's, bloodlines & breeders.

2. Able to afford the best food/diet. Professional trainers are used. Grooming toward target Show/Sport/Ring planned and finances are available.

3. Best vet care, exercise and training regimen established and prepared.

4. Titling and certification planned and knowledge of requirements are known.

Then you have the pet world; sometimes the have not's....

1. Average/low income - want a great pup but the prices are sky high. People that pay that much are only doing it for status or serious competitive show/work to get titles. We don't want/need that! We just want a pet.

2. Has seen GSD's on TV - the best of the best - but knows it's a different world for him and looks to what's available locally at a price that he can afford.

3. Has little to no knowledge about health, bloodlines or best food, but he knows in his life he has experienced some great GSD's locally raised as have his friends in his community and they did great with "regular food" and litters from local folks. At local reasonable prices.

4. Vet bills? No way a dog vet bill would be $2-$3 thousand dollars for tests??? Maybe even then no diagnosis?? Pet Insurance? No one I ever knew had that! We'll use the old remedies that have worked for generations on dogs, cats, farm animals.

Want a GSD - look for "responsible breeders" with "health checks". "Beware of BYB's!!!" "If you pay less than $1,500 for your GSD - it's from a BYB!" If you can't afford the vet bills - GSD's are expensive dogs to upkeep - Don't get one!" "If you don't title your dog and know about bloodlines - don't breed it".

And they compare their reality with yours - and there are no matches. They know their friends and family decades back had a pet GSD from a local litter that was awesome, ate "regular store food" and the pup was not expensive to buy from a local family.

Just pointing out the disparity - the help asked, the advise offered and the judgment given when excited JQP comes here to announce proudly he has a new GSD puppy and has a couple of questions......

See less See more
#2 ·
I think most people are open to learning and getting educated. One doesn't have to be stuck in only one way of thinking. I think it is extremely limiting to say that that having a good GSD is out of reach for most people, and the way you present the "elite" is offensive.

Most of us started off as pet dog owners, and as we learned more, set specific personal goals for our dogs. Seriously Stone, I saved up for two years to buy a dog from a good breeder, and I drive a 2004 van, just to show you how I set my priorities; I find your reasoning and thought process offensive that I'm a rich snob for having an expensive dog and doing IPO. (Because rich people take two years to save up a couple of thousand dollars, right?)

What you feel is unatainable, some of us worked our buts off to attain. How about giving people some credit for being open to learning about the GSD lines, breeding, BYB vs. good breeder. How about giving people some credit for finding a new passion and pursuing it, be it IPO, SAR, or other working or performance venue. If you choose a different path for dog ownership, fine - we all wish you health and happiness, but don't dump on those that chose a different path for their dogs and their level of dog involvement.

How about some credit for wanting to help others make knowledgeable, informed decisions about getting a dog? Lumping people into a have and have-not category is ridiculous.

There was a time when I thought that anyone who paid money for a pure-bred papered dog was a snob, LOL! Guess what? I knew beans!! I understand so much more about the dog world now, and can respect different views and values. We are all on a journey, and seeing our journey though only the filter of money is very self-limiting.

If people come on this board, I'm assuming they are not average dog owners, they are above average because they want to read and learn about GSDs, so bring on the breeding, training, historical, ethical discussions!

#3 ·
I think most people are open to learning and getting educated. One doesn't have to be stuck in only one way of thinking. I think it is extremely limiting to say that that having a good GSD is out of reach for most people, and the way you present the "elite" is offensive.

Most of us started off as pet dog owners, and as we learned more, set specific personal goals for our dogs. Seriously Stone, I saved up for two years to buy a dog from a good breeder, and drive a 2004 van; I find your reasoning and thought process offensive that I'm a rich snob for having an expensive dog and doing IPO. (Because rich people take two years to save up a couple of thousand dollars, right?)

What you feel is unatainable, some of us worked our buts off to attain. How about giving people some credit for being open to learning about the GSD lines, breeding, BYB vs. good breeder. How about giving people some credit for finding a new passion and pursuing it, be it IPO, SAR, or other working or performance venue. If you choose a different path for dog ownership, fine - we all wish you health and happiness, but don't dump on those that chose a different path for their dogs and their level of dog involvement.

How about some credit for wanting to help others make knowledgeable, informed decisions about getting a dog? Lumping people into a have and have-not category is ridiculous.

There was a time when I thought that anyone who paid money for a pure-bred papered dog was a snob, LOL! Guess what? I knew beans!! I understand so much more about the dog world now, and can respect different views and values. We are all on a journey, and seeing our journey though only the filter of money is very self-limiting.

If people come on this board, I'm assuming they are not average dog owners, they are above average because they want to read and learn about GSDs, so bring on the breeding, training, historical, ethical discussions!
Where did the word snob come in? lol You saved up for two years and drive a 2004 car. What that is explaining to me is that you are outside of the norm I am talking about. You are the exception and that word means no guesses as to it's intent.

I'm actually glad I got your ire up because that will help me explain a little further....

I am a pet owner. I purchased from what I was told was a BYB when I first asked for an explanation of the AKC paperwork. Although I have owned 5 GSD's. I have always raised them in the old ways and just has my family and neighbors have always done.

There is a best way and a way that still works. If you can afford the best way - outstanding - I would do nothing but if I could.

What I am trying to address, and I don't have the answer for; is when newbies come to this site and post for the first time and need help.

Recommendations are given and very good ones for the most part But, there is a line that the person that cannot afford the recommended trainers, diet or vet care, tests, titling, etc and everything suggested to him just cannot do. It has never been my experience that people that are financially challenged will immediately volunteer and say "Woaah!" I only have 40 dollars a month to spend on my dog..... They just don't. They're either gone or they try another way to get answers and that gets frustrating for the people who posted to help because they think the newbie is discounting their recommendations.

THIS is the end I'm hitting at - not everyone can do best recommendations for their pup/dog or is able to make it a #1 priority in their life as much as they would personally want to. Do you ever see someone asking for help here just sort of fading out of the conversation - I think many of them are not able to afford what should be done and so they're gone.....

How people can and will deal with their dogs has a financial basis... that is my point - and those that gave all just to get the best are the exception and not the norm. The "masses" in need are different and come from all SES.

This site has a wealth of information - but it can be better. Pet people with GSD's that may not be feeding anything but what they can afford at the grocery store or not a lot of vet tests or not a trainer won't be forthcoming with that information.... but it's there and there are hundreds of thousands of them.....

#5 ·
I've been on both sides of the coin.

I'm no where near rich, but I have a healthy "dog budget" thanks to sacrifices elsewhere in life. I currently spend several hundred dollars a month for dog food. I am training in both agility and IPO.

My current GSD is an oops. Half BYB have WL. He cost less then dinner and drinks at outback. I'm planning to get another GSD in the next 2 years and will be getting one from a 'good' breeder. Probably will have it shipped.

8 years ago I was homeless and lived in my car with the dogs for a while. Then I had to struggle to get back on my feet. They didn't go to the vet. They ate cheap. I'm sure I would have been told to Rehome them. But whatev. Those poor neglected dogs? One passed away last year at the age of 14 and the other just celebrated his 17th birthday and is asleep at my feet.

You do what you can. *shrug*

#6 ·
My Judith is from a BYB but I don't care, I love her. I give her the same chance as your 2000 dollar German shepherd, paying good money for Schutzhund training, and she will do trials as a mix. She gets the best food I can find with research I've done, and she will be taken to the vet if anything is wrong with her, as well as for yearly checkup. Knowing what I do, would I rather have got one from a reputable breeder? Of course, but my Judith will have the best life of a GSD from a BYB she possibly can, and be able to learn protection, and live as long and as healthy of a life as any GSD with a pedigree.

#7 · (Edited)
I don't know where any of mine are from. Every time I talked to the breeder and made plans to go that route, a GSD popped up that needed help. This happened with both Midnite and Apollo. The breeder understood and we laughed about how I wasn't meant to get a dog from a breeder yet. I wouldn't change that and I have no problem rescuing in the future. I have a dog(another breed-non GSD) that came from a breeder with all the titles and health stuff--that dog costed me $15,000.00 for his hips. Health can't be guaranteed by anyone. I'm not the type of person that will save for a dog. I get what I get and work with that. It has worked well for me.

I am certainly not rich, but my dogs are taken care of. I'm very thankful that I had experience working at a vet as a vet tech because that experience helps me all the time as far as illnesses, what to look for or if a vet visit is even needed. I've also found that you can save on vet visits by doing other stuff better. For example, a better diet might cost more, but it cuts down on vet visits. Grooming is done at home. I purchased the dryer and the initial investment paid for itself after one bath for all the dogs. I bought all the agility equipment, which again was a huge investment but I have 6 dogs that enjoy that. I took classes with one dog and I was able to learn how to teach the rest. That agility equipment will last forever. If you figure $150 for each class and I do a min of 6 classes with each dog, my equipment paid for itself. Swimming--dogs love it. You can't trust lakes and ponds with algae and stuff, taking them swimming is $60 for one dog and 1/2 hour. I bought a pool, paid for itself the first year. I have 7 dogs that love to swim.

I think training should be a cost that people set aside. I'm a big believer that the first year should be filled with obedience and I make it a point that each dog goes to at least 3-4 classes. It is something I feel is necessary and always suggest it to new owners.

Limit vaccines--research and give what is necessary, do not over vaccinate. That can cause problems down the line and it's not cost effective. My dogs now get rabies only every 3 yrs-$70 every three yrs for vaccines.

There are definitley things that can be done to save money. Some stuff might be an initial investment but you have to look at the big picture.

#8 ·
Lumping people into a have and have-not category is ridiculous.
I agree with Castlemaid's statement.

This site is its own example. Membership is free. Thousands of pages of information and history is free. A discerning careful reader can find lots of valuable information here without spending a single cent. There are threads that frequently discuss best value per pound for food quality, online vet med ordering options to save money, resources with good prices, where to shop, and how to build-your-own equipment. All... Free.

There's nothing wrong with expensive wants and desires. If you want something specific and wonderful, you can save, you can choose to prioritize. Or you can choose a less expensive option. There is nothing wrong with either choice, but it is certainly not a black and white divide.

If you're truly interested in bridging a "gap", it would be far more helpful to start a thread, name it "Tips and Tricks for Saving Money, Raising a Healthy Sound GSD". Now there's an idea! Perhaps consider doing this, instead of drawing a line in the sand between haves and have-nots.

#11 ·
Lumping people into a have and have-not category is ridiculous.
I agree with Castlemaid's statement.

This site is its own example. Membership is free. Thousands of pages of information and history is free. A discerning careful reader can find lots of valuable information here without spending a single cent. There are threads that frequently discuss best value per pound for food quality, online vet med ordering options to save money, resources with good prices, where to shop, and how to build-your-own equipment. All... Free.

There's nothing wrong with expensive wants and desires. If you want something specific and wonderful, you can save, you can choose to prioritize. Or you can choose a less expensive option. There is nothing wrong with either choice, but it is certainly not a black and white divide.

If you're truly interested in bridging a "gap", it would be far more helpful to start a thread, name it "Tips and Tricks for Saving Money, Raising a Healthy Sound GSD". Now there's an idea! Perhaps consider doing this, instead of drawing a line in the sand between haves and have-nots.
All of this.

And what Castlemaid said, too. While I'm not personally offended, your post was really offensive, Stone. Laughably so, really.

You'd have done way better to do something positive (and phrase it positively), as WI suggests, as opposed to just complaining.

#9 · (Edited)
Gosh, I can't believe none of us has ever noticed "economic disparity" before Stonevintage had the courage and astute thinking to reveal it! The unfairness of what the Haves have and what the Have-nots haven't is . . . unfair! Not until now did any of us understand that the Haves are just callously flaunting their hav-i-ness, what with all their expensive advice and recommendations. Why, its criminal really! Oh, its not criminal? Well it should be! Certainly its immoral. Decent people don't hoard wealth while other people are in need. Wealthy people don't need ALL that wealth! And if they're going to selfishly and thoughtlessly flaunt it . . . well!

Now of course, its important to note that certain people are not Haves but they exhibit hav-i-ness but we musn't confuse them with the enemy, ahem, I mean, the Haves. The pseudo-Haves are Have-nots that have sufficiently struggled and sacrificed to obtain bits and pieces of hav-i-ness. How do we know what's sufficient? Well, its hard to quantify so best to just go on a case by case basis. Also, if its someone you feel good about, that's a plus. Really, just use your best judgement.

You know, if the Haves would start up a fund here for the Have-nots it would go a VERY long way to reducing the stark disparity we all see and feel just terrible about, wouldn't it? It should be open and transparent. Anyone who contributes should be listed and applauded for their commitment to eradicating the scourge of disparity.

Of course those who need the help of the Furry Friends Fund (let's call it that, okay?) shouldn't be named because in this sick, profit-greedy society its looked down upon to panhandle, I mean, to be in need of assistance. People who are in need of help, who just want to give their GSDs the best possible food, vet care and homes that have mortgage payments, right? No one should ever be made to feel ashamed of wanting the best for their GSD! Let's unite in our love for this amazing, wonderful breed that we all love so dearly!

Though it goes without saying, /sarc.

#10 ·
I had a Ridgie Mix, free to my family because the original family didn't know how to train her and she ran amok. They had no idea what an awesome dog they had. She was as smart as a whip, loving as can be. I was living pay check to pay check and she ate grocery store food. I got training books from the library. I used a choke chain but since she learned so quickly it almost never tightened. She won "best trick" at a kids' pet show. She lived till her mid teens and fell asleep in a sunny spot in the backyard and never woke again.

I also had times when I could not afford an vet emergency. That stunk. I didn't buy health insurance for my dog. I didn't have health insurance for myself!

Now we have two GSDS and can afford training and titling and I spend more on them than I do on myself. One of our grown sons has a sick puppy and we can afford to help with vet bills if he needs it (which he says he doesn't).

Once we both are retired this may all change again.
There are seasons in life and yes, we need to keep in mind that not everyone can afford the very best.

#12 ·
Average/low income - want a great pup but the prices are sky high. People that pay that much are only doing it for status or serious competitive show/work to get titles. We don't want/need that! We just want a pet.
I am just going to highlight this as being untrue and unfair, and this actually does offend me.

I wanted a great pup. I did want to do obedience and maybe sport competition with her, but first and foremost she has to be a good house pet. I did not buy her for status. If I had, I'd be bragging about her pedigree all over this site (which would be a way different intent from that of the posters who share a pedigree to learn more about their individual dog or pedigrees/lines in general) and to anyone who would listen offline. But I'm not. I wanted a good pet, and I'm not alone. I know so many people who chose to budget for a dog similar to mine because that dog would just be a good pet for their young families.

I've long hated that "must be nice"/"he or she only cares about status" attitude when someone decides that a particular option that happens to be more expensive is the right one for them.

#13 ·
There's a saying that comes to mind after reading your post:

If wishes were fishes, there'd be no room left in the sea

We don't live in a perfect world, if every person was a millionaire and never had to scrounge for food or shelter there would still be unease and complainers out there that it's not enough. Instead of looking at others and being frustrated why don't you look at what you have and just be thankful for it.

Yes I was one of those people too that saved for a long time to afford a well bred GSD and spent the money into training and vet care for him. Is he perfect? Nope, but he's mine to love and care for and that's all that matters to me. I don't care if you spent $50 or $5000 on your dog, a good dog is a good dog. To me it's not about the cost, it's about supporting the breeders that are trying their best to do the breed right and not just make a buck or two.

#16 ·
I am far from rich. What I have learned is, where there is a will, there is a way. If people want it bad enough they will figure out how to do it. I took a loan from my parents to get my first GSD. Actually every GSD I have bought I have made payments on. I found that majority of good breeders I have met, are will to work people as long as they are the right people for their dogs. Key words there are right people. The breeders I have dealt with are interviewing you as much as you are them.

The fact is, dogs are expensive. The $2k down payment is nothing compared to the expense of owning the dog for a life time. My wife's dad has two rescue GSD's that in the first year of having them cost him over $5k in vet bills each. On top of training to deal their behavioral issues. So which one is really less expensive?

#18 ·
I think experiences are going to be across the board. I personally have never spent any money on behavioral issues for any dog--rescue or not. My most expensive dog to date is the one that came from a breeder(hips).

#19 ·
I'm not offended. Understanding the available resources is a good idea when coming up with a plan of action. I don't see the post as anything more than that.
Resources in the broadest sense is "what is the owner ready, willing, and able to do".
Can be income, can be a fenced yard, or lack thereof, lack of time, ample time, emotional resources, stress levels, etc..
I lurk mostly and learn much, and enjoy/love the lively debates. I'm very much in favour of a broad range of answers to problems, especially as many of us just lurk and learn, but if you are trying to help an individual dog and owner, figuring out what the owner's resources are (financial, physical, emotional) is helpful start.
Back to lurking...

#20 ·
Stone is frustrated.Just one of those times that we all have when we hit send before thinking things through.
Baillif apparently doesn't have that problem.
Maybe this post can be turned into a thrifty dog owner's thread as WiFi suggested.

#21 ·
Stone is frustrated.Just one of those times that we all have when we hit send before thinking things through.
Baillif apparently doesn't have that problem.
Maybe this post can be turned into a thrifty dog owner's thread as WiFi suggested.
If anyone is interested in having that discussion (rather than change this topic or OP's intent for this thread), feel free to add to the idea pile here.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...s-tricks-saving-money-raising-great-dogs.html

#22 ·
I guess I fall into the category of the "Have-Not" although I don't agree with that. I don't think it should matter if you have spent a bunch of money on a dog or not. If the dog is getting the love and care he/she deserves then pedigree and all that doesn't matter to me. I don't have the money right now to do the agility and guard dog training that I want to do, but I'm saving up and when I have it, I'll be right there. He's going in obedience classes, and he's got all his vaccinations that he needs. But I don't think that just because I'm a have not that I can't ask questions when I need to. Those are the best people to ask when something comes up. I don't find all the people on here "snobby" just because they have more experience or have a "show dog" as it was said. I may not always agree with something said to me, but that doesn't mean that I think they're just trying to make themselves sound more important.
I feed my dog raw food and it costs me an arm and a leg, but I do it because I know it's what's best for him. I put myself in debt every month to make sure that he gets what he needs. I have been luckily able to afford to take him to the vet every time he needs to but that doesn't mean that I always will. German Shepherds are an expensive breed, and I think that if you want a well rounded dog then you need to be willing to spend the extra money if you can. If you can't, then there are other ways around it, just like others have said. Just because I don't have a lot of money and wasn't able to get my dog from an expensive breeder in my area (thought I would have loved to, but this puppy chose us) doesn't mean that I give a rat's behind that someone else did. Good for them! Also, I don't want to be labeled. Labels are what make the world such a hostile environment as it is. Why can't we all just be German Shepherd owners, no matter what our social or financial status? Our dogs don't care, so why should we? Just a thought.

#23 ·
Heres how I see it. like people said this whole site is a great way to learn about the breed.
I've wanted a gsd since i could remember. MY parents never bought one for me and now I'm glad because that dog would have been given away. We would not have had the resources to potty train exercise and properly stimulate a gsd. My parent would not have been able to understand the puppy biting stage and would have given it to a shelter as an aggressive dog guaranteed. They even though my current pup was going to be a mean dog and wanted me to give him away. LOL
Me wanting a dog continued all through out HS and once i was in college I wanted to buy one. Around junior year I scoured CL and pet finder for dogs but never committed. Then i started doing research here. The first thing i learned was how expensive it was going to be to own a dog regardless of purchase price. And in my naive state i did not factor in monthly vet visits or raw food but just looked up average kibble prices etc. After i realized that i knew i couldnt have a dog while in school and if the cost of ownership would be so high i realized i had to go with a good reputable breeder to minimize long term health risks. So my senior year i set out on looking for a breeder obviously i remembered how big gsds used to look to me when i met them growing up and how huge and sweet my cousins was growing up. So i looked for old fashioned big "straight back" breeders. using this site i quickly realized that was not the rout to go. I looked at what people said about what the gsd was origionally breed to be A medium size agile working dog. It was clear that i did not have the time or money to raise a working line gsd so i new i still had to wait that didnt keep me from looking at breeders. finally a few months out of college once i had the proper place to live my finances were stable, i had a regular schedule and I had saved enough to buy a dog I did. All in all i think it doesnt matter if you are wealthy or fresh out of school like me anyone can put in the effort to find a good dog and take care of them to the best of their ability. If i had though i wouldnt be able to give my dog everything he needed id go with a dog that needs less exercise or stimulation not go with a more poorly breed dog that i could then breed so my neighbors could have a dog just like mine. And my dog isnt perfect either. He eats kibble but its the best i could do. I finally found a way to get him raw fed but that took again more research and time. I think its just about what people want to devote to their dogs. Its easier for someone me (young unmarried no kids) to get all this figured out than some one with a family working 2 jobs and kids nagging about a puppy like i did with my parents.

#24 ·
To me, my dog that I got from CL is given much better care, and love than the person who has 20 GSD on their property, and does breedings with all the proper paperwork, OFA certification etc. Your dogs may be cared for well on paper, but it will never get the same love, and attention as mine.

#25 ·
If I may add my 4 Canadian cents in ( due to exchange rate, lol ) I have been a pet own for most of my life.

Going by just GSD dogs or mixed dogs.

My first GSD, wasnt pure bred, half breed. I paid $150.00.

Second one, pure bred, BYB, paid $300.00

Third one, pure bred, paid $1000.00

Fourth one ( current ) paid $2500.00 for him.

What I am trying to say, is that I bought what I could afford and fed accordingly. Now, being in my early 40's, reasonable income, I am was able to purchase my GSD from a reputable breeder, at a price I could afford without going hungry myself!

Typically, the advice given on this board is great and its a great source of information, however, ultimately the decision is yours and you privately know your budget and what you can or cannot afford. Feeding raw food, going to Cesar Millan for dog training, you and your pet having AAA steak for dinner.. is great but as long as you can financially able to afford it. If not, you have to decide if a GSD is a pet you can realistically afford to purchase and maintain, or at the very least a pure bred one.

#26 ·
I can understand where Stone is coming from, I love this site for the amazing info provided and I come here daily to read and learn but when it comes to questions I have about my free mixed GSD mutt I usually head to other sources just because I feel I won't get the same response and attention as having a pure and well bred pedigree GSD owners get which is ok since it is the GSD not mutts forum. Now when it comes to the other part Stone mentioned about having $$$ that I disagree with. I have money to buy a expensive dog but circumstances at that time gave me this pup which I love and even having money I wouldn't buy a 2.500 plus dog only because I am only interested in having a pet not a show or titled dog. Just my 2 cents

#28 ·
Thought this might be a good discussion since I've come up against this wall so much lately.....it gets a little frustrating. The mods say this site is for everyone - but sometimes there is a great wall separation by what is best and what is affordable by the new pet owners..... the advise given can be unattainable by the person asking for help.

The have's

1. Buy from the best breeders, recommended lines, imported or transported from across state, lengthy waiting for litters, network of who's who in the GSD world, knowledgeable with GSD's, bloodlines & breeders.

2. Able to afford the best food/diet. Professional trainers are used. Grooming toward target Show/Sport/Ring planned and finances are available.

3. Best vet care, exercise and training regimen established and prepared.

4. Titling and certification planned and knowledge of requirements are known.

Then you have the pet world; sometimes the have not's....

1. Average/low income - want a great pup but the prices are sky high. People that pay that much are only doing it for status or serious competitive show/work to get titles. We don't want/need that! We just want a pet.

2. Has seen GSD's on TV - the best of the best - but knows it's a different world for him and looks to what's available locally at a price that he can afford.

3. Has little to no knowledge about health, bloodlines or best food, but he knows in his life he has experienced some great GSD's locally raised as have his friends in his community and they did great with "regular food" and litters from local folks. At local reasonable prices.

4. Vet bills? No way a dog vet bill would be $2-$3 thousand dollars for tests??? Maybe even then no diagnosis?? Pet Insurance? No one I ever knew had that! We'll use the old remedies that have worked for generations on dogs, cats, farm animals.

Want a GSD - look for "responsible breeders" with "health checks". "Beware of BYB's!!!" "If you pay less than $1,500 for your GSD - it's from a BYB!" If you can't afford the vet bills - GSD's are expensive dogs to upkeep - Don't get one!" "If you don't title your dog and know about bloodlines - don't breed it".

And they compare their reality with yours - and there are no matches. They know their friends and family decades back had a pet GSD from a local litter that was awesome, ate "regular store food" and the pup was not expensive to buy from a local family.

Just pointing out the disparity - the help asked, the advise offered and the judgment given when excited JQP comes here to announce proudly he has a new GSD puppy and has a couple of questions......

NAILED IT!! The resin I stopped coming around. First time I've been on here in a while. Ironic that I find this. Lol.

#29 ·
I have about my free mixed GSD mutt I usually head to other sources just because I feel I won't get the same response and attention as having a pure and well bred pedigree GSD owners get
I don't think this is true at all. People may ask about your dog's background to help understand the issues, but they are not asking in order to decide if their time to help is worth it.

A lot of our mods have mixes and other breeds of dogs - I joined this forum many years ago with my mixed breed rescue - didn't even have the intention back then to get a GSD. I joined the forum because I started Schutzhund with my mixed breed, and was looking for a place to talk and learn more. Nobody, not once, EVER, made me feel that I wasn't welcome here or that my dog was somehow worth less than other people's dogs that may have come from a breeder.

#30 ·
A lot of POSTERS have mixes and other breeds of dog. Look at llombardo, and I've never seen anyone be all, "Oh you shouldn't be here with your MIX and your GOLDEN RETRIEVER." So no. I reject the claim that people with mixes are all treated differently. Maybe it's the person, not the dogs.

#31 ·
I also have a mutt dog who i love just as much as my well bred shepherd. My girlfriend had her when we first met and she was only $200. She is a sweet loving dog and I dont feed my dogs based on how much they cost. My mutt actually ate better then my gsd because while i could only provide HQ kibble for him we were able to afford the expensive pre-made raw from the pet store for her since she is only 3 lb and eats so little.

#32 · (Edited)
Perceptions get skewed sometimes because they are colored by our own thoughts, feelings ... and imagination. "Pet owners" (I'm one ... aren't we all???) sometimes do things because colloquially it's how it's always been done. Sometimes, they are ignorant. Not stupid ... but ignorant, i.e., without knowledge or information, about things that might be better or easier a different or new way.

I think it's fantastic that there's a site where so many people, experiences, and information can be accessed. Maybe what you should have 'addressed' initially is what this site gives is OPTIONS that a person might not have thought of themselves. Even if they don't utilize it, voicing the option isn't wrong.

What a strange thread.

ETA: So ... maybe the thread subjects should now say PET DOG: <subject> ? That way only pet dog owners should reply?

#36 ·
This seems to me to be less about money and more about priorities. My income is very low. I buy clothes at Goodwill. I could afford new clothes but I would rather spend the money on my dogs and I find cool stuff at Goodwill.

I work as much as I can but I am limited by a medical condition. I don't use it as an excuse for anything. I busted my a** starting my second business which I tailored to be doable for me with my limitations. I busted my a** training my own service dog to make myself more independant and mobile since there was not a big program training them for this specific issue.

In nobody's fantasy world am I rich. I spent a grand on my retiring service dog this MONTH in vet bills. She has an issue going on. I will fix it if it can be fixed. She has selflessly worked her whole life for me. I am still disabled but willing to do whatever it takes for her. She is as much my family as any human, and she has done more for me than most humans.

As far as the BYB thing, that is just are you willing to look beyond your own little world. It is irresponsible. It contributes to pet overpopulation, health problems. The days of "the old ways" are over for the most part. What was human population in the 50's? How was pet overpopulation? Did all shelters euthanize at will and nobody cared? Animal welfare and husbandry has come a long way even in the past 15 yrs.

Having a dog is a choice. Why choose to do it if you can't afford it (or don't have your priorities straight enough to find the money)

It might be haves and have nots as far as having knowledge, but knowledge is free. Heck exercise and training doesn't have to be expensive. Group classes are cheap. Youtube is free. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Don't want to title your dog? Doesn't matter a hill of beans to me. My olg gal isn't titled unless you count us being team certified by a reputable service dog organization. We worked our butts off for two years training for that and getting all her health clearances. I was living in subsidized housing at the time. I bartered dog walking and sitting to my training mentor because I couldn't pay her full price. It was worth every second and penny. We performed and passed with flying colors a day long public access test in Boston where she flawlessly performed all her tasks...on the subway...city street ect.

I plan to title my boy. For fun mostly. I'll probably be wearing second-hand clothes :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.