German Shepherds Forum banner

Rescued a GSD yesterday - Please advise

5K views 45 replies 19 participants last post by  puffswami 
#1 ·

Basically, a new mother had to get let go of her 1.5 year old GSD because she recently had a baby. He was much bigger than expected and is around 90lbs. He is very headstrong compared to my other GSD.

He also just started a round of Remicin ointment for his ears which seem to be infected. I gave him a bath and had my hands all over his face and he didn't seem bothered yesterday. He doesn't mind when I grab his ears either. But whenever he sees the Ear Medication bottle coming he snaps at me and shows his teeth. I am not scared of him but am wary to upset a rehomed dog.

? - His ears sometimes stand tall but then sometimes lean over. My other GSD always had ears pointed up. Is this a sign of the infection of how his ears regularly are?

? - How can I administer this medication or should I just give him a round of Cephalaxin orally?

? - My other GSD wasn't fixed but was very gentle, will fixing this rescue GSD cause him to be more docile?

Thanks for all your advice! :smile2:

See less See more
#2 ·
Thank you for rescuing this beautiful boy!

I can't be much help with the ear medication as my boy runs for the hills when I show up with the ear drops. One point that was made on a similar post is to warm the drops to body temp. That helped a little.

I don't think neutering has any effect on temperament.

Lynn & Traveler

#3 ·
if he has an infection he is going to need medication but everything is very new, so that can be tricky. As far as neutering, I've seen a good change in temperament every time. The most recent the most noticeable with great results.

#6 · (Edited)

Well because until very recently I had the greatest GSD this world has ever known. Although I raised him from 8wks to 11.5yrs, "docile" doesn't being to describe the ease of his behaviour...

- could feed him a single cookie, put the plate of cookies on the floor, leave the room, come back and...cookies would be untouched!

- never had any separation-anxiety ever; never ever whined

- never bit me even superficially

- barely whispered for him to obey my commands

- strong maybe that he even had FIVE accidents in the house in 11.5 years (including urinating)

- toddlers could hug him and he would just look at me with his kind eyes saying why are you letting this rugrat squeeze me so hard?

- no problem ever giving medication, just use two of your fingers to open his mouth, ears, etc. and done!

Sorry, but that was more for me than anyone else. So...as you can imagine I figured every GSD would be like my recently-deceased GSD (well at least with me!). I've put myself in quite the predicament. One one hand the new GSD listens to me but it ain't like the old dog. And I don't want to experience getting bit so I'm inhibited (a new experience with me & dogs). :wink2:

? - What about giving him something to help him calm down? A youtube video suggested sedation at the vet but is there any homespun method of getting his ear-medication in.

btw: My first instinct (an unreasonable one) was to replace exactly what I had lost & to add insult to injury, my breeder told me that they have had around 20 litters in 15 years and my deceased GSD was the only one that had ever been pure golden-hair coated.

Reactions: dogsandbooks
#5 ·
My boy hates ear drops too.Try warming them and using a swab or cotton ball to apply them.Maybe while he's lying down and relaxed for grooming or petting.

#7 ·
Not sure if this would help any, but my dog doesn't like having his ears cleaned either or his nails cut, but to get him to stand nice I get my husband to hold a dog treat (something is really likes) if front of him and keep his attention well I do what needs to be done.

As for the neuter thing, my boys attitude didn't change at all. He was done at 18mths

#8 ·
Coming from MANY years' experience, you will never 'replace' the wonderful boy you lost. BUT... You can learn to bond with this boy and love him for his own personality, believe me, it will come.

As for the ears... Most dogs love to have their ears massaged gently, even on the inside, and down into the ear, ever so gently, making sure you don't scratch with a fingernail. I would work with him that way, a little bit at a time, several times a day, until he leans into it, he may even groan a bit--it feels good! Then I would smear some of the ear meds on my finger (unbeknownst to him, lol) and gently rub it into the insides of his ears. I have a rescue boy who was very ear shy, and this worked for him over a few days' time. You just have to take things gradually.

Thank you for taking him, he's lovely, don't give up on him!

Susan

#9 ·
and gently rub it into the insides of his ears.
Thanks. I was worried that since the ear canal is L-shaped I had to be very aggressive trying to get it into the ear canal. Supposedly a flush is also helpful with Remicin but he isn't allowing me to do that.

I will definitely try what you mentioned.

#10 ·
Nikki had her first ear infection earlier this year and she doesn't like any drops in her ears. I asked the vet if we could use the "BNT otic treatment" for her and it worked great.

It's really thick and sticky and stayed in her ear for about 2 weeks (can't remember exactly how long). They just fill the ears with it and you don't have to do anything else until the re-check.

Thank you for rescuing this handsome boy :smile2:

#11 ·
I took him to an area where a lot of people walk by to gauge his behavior. He barked like crazy at other dogs; loud as well. Does this mean he is dog aggressive? He pulls very hard and i had to hold on to his collar very tightly.

Would this subside if he gets neutered? I get mixed advice but wanted to know with others who may experience the same with GSDs.

Any advice would be appreciated.

#12 ·
I'm really kinda freaked out to be honest. My other GSD raised from puppyhood was the best and I've never adopted an older dog because I always suspected whatever imprinting dogs have in their formative weeks would be difficult/impossible to break.

#15 ·
I'm really kinda freaked out to be honest. My other GSD raised from puppyhood was the best and I've never adopted an older dog because I always suspected whatever imprinting dogs have in their formative weeks would be difficult/impossible to break.
Your statement above is untrue. Right now I have a rescued male GSD of Czech working line descent who was terribly neglected, starved and abused before I got him when he was 2 years old. He has completely bonded with me and is fine. I also have a rescued female GSD of DDR lineage whose temperament is not the greatest, we manage her dog aggression, but she will live her life in my household. In the past I have successfully had a male wolf/GSD, a male show line GSD, a very large male working line GSD from Texas, all rescues who suffered abuse in different degrees. They all bonded with me and I reached the point with each one of them where I trusted them completely. They all lived out their lives with me. Please don't dismiss rescues, there are wonderful dogs out there who deserve good homes. I suspect your current boy is one of them.

Susan

#13 ·
Has he had any training yet?

My first GSD was dog-reactive. I worked with a trainer once a week for about 6 weeks. We upped our obedience so that he would focus on me and not on other dogs when out in public. I also used a prong collar for control and corrections, which some people don't like, but it worked well for us in our situation.

#14 · (Edited)
Has he had any training yet?
No training. I got him from a stay-at-home mom who accidentally got pregnant and couldn't deal with an active 1.5yr GSD and mothering duties. The thing I am skeptical about with training is that it may still lead to unpredictable results. I am looking into getting him fixed very soon but apparently it isn't as effective in decreasing aggression as it is for roaming/urination issues.

What I am really worried about is him attacking someone or a another animal. My other GSD never ever showed signs of aggression (although he did bark & whine at passing dogs it didn't seem mean). With this dog I am just very unsure about how to proceed. I mean I was thinking going to a dog park but who knows how that will end up. On the plus side he seems to get along with/my other dog tolerates him.

I should mention I'm not scared of him because I know what I've gotten myself into but its other people I'm concerned about. A pet store employee put her face at his eye level and I was like WTF?

#17 · (Edited)
right now I am trying to apply his ear medication which is KetoFlush & Remicin but he simply will not let me. He is too quick to snap at my hand. Although it is not an aggressive snap it is very reactive. I have tried massaging his ears which he is OK with but as soon as I bring a bottle or cotton-ball he snaps. He basically raises his front legs and tries to mildly leap on me and also snaps his jaws. Is this a sign that he wants to harm me or just that he is irritated.

Any other suggestions? I want him to get better as maybe his ear infection is causing him to act-out his aggression. I've had an ear infection and it definitely hurts.

#20 ·
You only got him 3 days ago,he's got to be extremely scared and doesn't trust you yet. Trust will come in time and I think you should leave his ears alone for a little while, he doesn't know who you are and all the sudden you are pestering him and trying to put things in his ears, it must be freaking in out. When you have more of a bond and he trusts you more, and has settled into routine with you then start to clean his ears, you will find that the snapping will most likely stop if you just leave him alone and let him figure out he can trust you, he is not trying to hurt you obviously but just warning you that he doesn't know who you are and to leave his ears alone. For a few weeks until he settles in and can trust you, when he is relaxing and you are giving him a rub, rub around his ears, it relaxes them and he will trust you around his ears and when he is ready start bringing out the bottle and just leave it out and give him a rub, start playing with it and even rubbing the bottle on him so he doesn't react or consider it a bad thing. Then out some of the ointment on a paper towel and out it around your finger and just go do the parts of his ear that is closer to the outside, don't try and stick your finger down his ear canal at first, just around. He will start to trust you more and more and eventually trust you to do the full cleaning.
Also with the walking and other dogs, bring him to a trainer, not a petsmart trainer to anything like that but a true experienced working dog trainer, since you aren't sure if he is aggressive to other dogs or just dominant or territorial, or simply wanting to say hello to the other dog, you NEED to get him evaluated by a true (preferably GSD/working dog) trainer, they will tell you exactly what he needs and will help you train him out of whatever it is. Best of luck to you too!

#19 ·
3 days now. The previous owner gave me the ear medication as she had just gotten the prescription last week. I have tried the treat method. In fact, he will lay on his back and let me massage his ears or give him a treat however once the cotton ball or bottle comes he squirms and snaps...and leaps. My other GSD would never have done such a thing so it is a bit unnerving with a strange 90lbs dog.

#26 ·
I think you need to sit back and ask yourself if you're honestly up for the challenge that this boy is going to present. words like scared, scary, freaked out etc is not a good start. I'm also not getting the feeling that you understand the seriousness of hiring a trainer for him, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I know the ear meds complicates things but I would do absolutely nothing with this guy aside from a 2 week shut down period with him until you have located a trainer. ideas of muzzles and dog parks are also pretty far off target.

#29 · (Edited)
I think you need to sit back and ask yourself if you're honestly up for the challenge that this boy is going to present. words like scared, scary, freaked out etc is not a good start. I'm also not getting the feeling that you understand the seriousness of hiring a trainer for him, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Well, you are partially correct. The problem is that since he is adopted I am anxious about his behaviour. I am growing attached to him but not at the expense of injury or lawsuit. I should mention that I am not scared of him but rather scared of his reactions; I don't want someone to unintentionally provoke him.

My other GSD was never ever vicious so I don't like the feeling of walking around with a unpredictable dog. I also knew every nuance of him as well. My other GSD was never formally trained but just a quick wink of your eye was all it took to control him. He could sit without a leash for an indefinite period.

I actually talked to a trainer yesterday and my skepticism was confirmed. He basically was very hesitant in taking-on a GSD that is 90lbs that he did not have a backstory on. As I suspected, since dog-training is so subjective and trainers will obvs mention successes of dogs that would have been easy/trainable by anyone anyway, I think I am better off by myself.

An analogy is school-teachers who work in private schools where 95% would have went on to college even if their teachers were asleep...they will still take credit for being a good teacher...but let's be serious, no real feat v.s. working in a bad public-school. But hey...people like easy money, so I don't blame the dog-trainers or private-school teachers.

On a more positive note, thanks for reminded me to give him his ear medication. It is absolutely no problem now, he may as well be a stuffed-animal in that regard. He also will sit on command as well. So I know he is trainable, but I need 100% predictability. I know this will take time on my part though.

#27 ·
they hate ear medication that has to be put down their ears.

Can vet give you an oral equivalent?

If not, tuck his nose under your arm and force it... but give encouragement and treat.

poor baby is stressed.

#28 · (Edited)
I'm not a trainer, but I don't think I'd put a muzzle on him and take him to the dark park. Maybe stay home and let him bond with you a few weeks and then work on his dog-aggression? If you could find a trainer, even if you could only afford a few sessions, it might really be helpful. You could get your boy neutered, but I don't think that would eliminate this habit.

#30 ·
NO no no, do NOT just put a muzzle on him and throw him in a dog park, if he is dog aggressive, he does NOT want to play with other dogs, he wants to HURT them. I strongly STRONGLY urge you to do tons and tons of research on shepherds and dog aggression before doing anything much else with him. Your previous GSD sounds like an amazing dog, but you need to remember to not compare him to your new one, he's a rescue with problems that you need to see if you are up for the challenge of, he is not and might never be like your old dog, shepherds are hard dogs, not all are going to be as amazing as your previous. Your new guy is going to need so much training, structure, time and energy to get him to a a good place to be the dog you want him to be. As for that trainer, he sounds like a dud, and if you did hire him he would do a horrible job, is there a local Schutzhund club near you? (that means protection work, like police dog type training) the trainers will be extremely experienced with german shepherds, and dogs like yours, and I'm sure can help you work with him, his aggression and obedience. you really REALLY need a trainer to help you, i agree that some trainers, like ones at petsmart training classes or something really don't know anything about training, and that with a little common sense and research the people who go to those trainers could easily train their dogs on their own, you need a REAL trainer, a dog behaviourist even, which is why I mentioned a Schutzhund club, the trainers there work on the most difficult high drive working dogs that other little joke trainers would have no idea what to do with, thats the type of trainer you need, thats the trainer that will help your dog, they can read the body language of a dog and know what they are going to do before the dogs do it. He sounds extremely smart and trainable, since he is already so good with the ear medication, he needs a strong trainer who is extremely experienced to guide him into the dog you want him to be, those trainers won't care about him being 90 pounds and having no history, they would work on him and know exactly what he needs. I have been training with a really good trainer and have been researching and working on crazy dogs like yours for quite a few years, being my dogs and other peoples dogs, if you have any questions i'm happy to answer and even help you find a GOOD trainer in your area

#32 ·
.... if you have any questions i'm happy to answer and even help you find a GOOD trainer in your area
Thanks again for your advice! Yeah his ear medication is now a non-issue. He also sleeps in my bed and I have no problem pushing his mouth away from my face in my sleep. However, as I mentioned, the problem is how he reacts to other dogs/people.

Regarding schutzhund, he does seem to have a very strong prey drive. He was watching someone throw frisbee with a very strong focus (and pulling at the leash). I hope some of this high-energy will dissipate once he gets neutered though.

I was thinking earlier today that maybe I have to lower my expectations in the near future of having the same type of recreational schedule as I did with my other GSD. Meaning not taking him around other dogs or around other people. I really want him to be "that" friendly dog to everyone though.

One thing I have to keep reminding myself of is that he never was around anyone else except the previous owner (primarily the wife who was only away during childbirth for 2 days) and that this new life is all very different. I don't think he was ever walked with any consistency just let to run in a very large yard on his own. So taking walks and all that comes with it is something he needs to get used to.

#31 ·
I hope you don't take any offence in me saying that you really need a trainer, its not that i don't think you know what you're doing, but with your last GSD being so good and not needing much training you just haven't had much experience with rescue German Shepherds that have problems like dog aggression and "unpredictability". With a good trainer who is experienced, you will see he isn't actually unpredictable, all dogs will have warning signs, some are as subtle as a skin twitch or ear twitch and others super easy to spot, but there is always a way to predict, which a trainer can help you see the signs and stop things before they even start. my dog used to be "vicious" when walking be other dogs on a walk, lunging, barking, she was a "maniac" but now we can walk by other dogs without a growl, without even looking at the dog. thats what a good trainer and knowing what your specific dog needs, thats how well it will work.

#34 · (Edited)
Everything seems to be going better, however a funny thing happened today. My other dog was asleep and I layed down next to him and started kissing him on his face and the GSD saw this happening and immediately jumped on my back and started lightly biting me on my back and arms.

Didn't hurt just tickled and made me laugh like crazy. Now I can see why the new mother may have been overwhelmed with him and put him up for adoption.

Reactions: sebrench
#35 ·
Congratulations on your new boy!

Ear infections can be very painful so that may partially explain his behavior.

My Newlie would not let me near his ears at first but I did as Susan suggested and now I can work with his ears. I still cannot approach his ears with anything that has a nozzle though, always have to use a cotton ball or my finger.

Suggestion: There is a new one dose ear medication that really helped Newlie a lot. The vet administered it for me. It is called Claro by Bayer, I believe. You might check with your vet about it. It would be nice to get his ears cleared up so that you would only have to deal with the regular maintenance.

#36 ·
That's a great picture. He is really a beautiful boy!!! Doesn't sound like he got a lot of socialization in his previous home. I bet he will go a LONG way with some structure, training, and attention! GSDs are very loyal so the bonding process takes some time. It took my first shepherd, (even as an 8 week old puppy!) about a month to bond with us. He was a bit aloof. But after we had earned his trust, he was very, very loyal! He was also somewhat dog aggressive--no lunging, but he would hackle and bark. Though he was never a dog-park sort of dog, the situation was manageable, and I could walk him around town. I was always vigilant, and I controlled when and where and if I let him encounter another dog. If I saw another dog coming, if it was possible, I just crossed to the other side of the street or turned around.

Anyway, it sounds like he is happy and settling into your household. The play-biting and excitement while you were down on his level sounds like normal puppy-ish behavior to me. How are things going? How does he get along with the other dogs in your family? I am glad you are hanging in there with him!

#38 · (Edited)
The play-biting and excitement while you were down on his level sounds like normal puppy-ish behavior to me.
It sounds like you are really relying on getting him neutered to take care of a lot of your problems.
Thank you both for your kind words....

Yeah you've pretty much nailed me regarding my expectations upon getting him neutered. He has tremendous prey drive and/or my other GSD was just more obedient so I didn't notice it as much. Eventually I will take him to get evaluated by a professional. Right now I am just content with not having my arm mauled off.

All I know about his previous owner is that she was a new mother exasperated with managing dog & child. She had all kinds of papers including vet records but couldn't find them when I went to pick him up. I don't know anything about his pedigree.

The thing that I am puzzled by is that he is 1.5 years old and will getting him neutered now inhibit his maturity or affect his growth? He stretches a lot...and that makes me think that maybe he is going through some puppy-ish growing pains still that I should let end at its own accord.

Since I am so used to looking at my other mature GSD I done forgot how to evaluate a growing puppy!! Here is a picture of his head. Does it look fully-mature? His teeth are not worn/sparkling white and I know that is indicative of age as well. Is he primed for neutering now or should I wait till he is like 2yrs old?

#37 ·
It sounds like you are really relying on getting him neutered to take care of a lot of your problems. The fact is that neutering him while not turn him into a low energy more docile or less dominant dog.

The trainer being reluctant was likely because he did not have much experience with working dogs. Seriously find a place that trains working dogs like Malinois shepherds or whatever and schedule an evaluation. Most of these places offer obedience as well. Mostly because dogs not up to par with obedience are not good candidates for protection. The trainer will be able to see his behaviors for what they really are aggression vs fear vs reactivity vs dominance. He will be able to really help you manage this dog.

Your old dog was seriously beautiful! Your new one is also very handsome. A few questions for the old owners, if you can get into contact with them, Where did they get him from, do they have a pedigree, was he crated or confined to a backyard, is he crate trained at all, history with other dogs, how much exercise and what kind did he usually get, and what kind of training has he been through?

good luck I'm confident that with some help and guidance you will do great with this guy!

#39 ·
At 18 months of age, is the perfect time to get him neutered. It's not going to be a 'magic solution' to his problems....but it will lower the testosterone levels and make him easier to manage for you , and around other dogs. He's a rescue dog, and there is no need for him to stay intact. It may make life easier for you, and for him. Training is a must...and I'm hoping that you can enroll in a positive only type of training class. You may need to have him evaluated first and have some private classes, before he will be ready for a group class. No need for going to the dog park...this breed does not need to be playing with other random dogs.

#40 ·
Where's the emoji for a can of worms? I'd say training that works for you and him not necessarily positive only. I don't like neutering if it's not necessary. If you work hard his behavior can be trained to what you want him to be. He doesn't sound "broken", just needs some direction and training.

#41 ·
There is an ear med out there that you put in the ears 1 time. Then repeat 1 week later. The dog is having trouble with this because it hurts. He isn't sure of you yet, and he is afraid you are going to hurt him. But he needs the medicine or the hurt will not go away.

I would get that medicine, put a muzzle on the dog, put it in one ear, then the other, massage the ears, take the muzzle off telling him what a good boy he was, and then go with him to the fridge for a piece of cheese.

It's no fun getting a shot, or getting poked in our cut. It is kind of like taking a kid with road rash to the ER and having them scrub the wound. It hurts. If we can get it over with quickly and with as little fuss as possible the dog will get it that we are not trying to hurt him. And he will get over it quicker.

When you have had this dog longer, the muzzle should not be necessary. But now he barely knows you. Play it safe. Quick, confident, lots of praise AFTERWARDS -- not before it is done.

Good luck.

#44 ·
In regards to your questions about this development. His does not look fully mature and most gsds finish growing around 2 and filling out around 3 in terms of muscle and head development. At 18 months his growth plates are not closed. But 18 months is generally the earliest breeders would recommend to get your dogs neutered. You can check the forums for what people said but i remember reading a thread in the protection dog section and they reported no change in drive, aggression or energy once their dogs where neutered. So just be ready for that. And to be clear I'm not saying you should never neuter him i just dont want you to expect it to fix your problems. It just takes away his testosterone the reason people think it helps is because other dogs view them differently since they cant smell the T. But since you wont really take him to play with strange dogs and since he is still reactive taking away his testosterone wont change his dog interactions.

The barking at dogs in public sounds like he is leash reactive to me. especially since he is fine with your dog. The reason i mention this is because i made the same mistake you did. I thought dogs were happy with other dogs and let my dog wrestle and play with a few friends dogs almost everyday since he was around 11 weeks old. At around 4 or 5 months when he was on a leash and there was another dog walking past us he would start to go nuts soon this turned into frustration and his barking became deep and scary. It was pretty embarrassing and hard to deal with because of how strong he was getting. So i cut him off from all other dogs. No more off leash playing. Also redirecting with something he really loves. Originally i used chicken breast then switched to a high value toy. Now at almost 10 months he is much better. It will be a long process but I'm sure you can do it.

#46 ·
In regards to your questions about this development. His does not look fully mature....
THANK YOU!

I keep getting the advice to get him neutered ASAP to calm down his boisterousness and drive (which have already significantly decreased on their own in the past two weeks anyway). I think I will put off getting him neutered for another 6 months. Plus his frequent dog-yoga moves makes me think he is relieving some tension related to his growth-plates shifting.

I liken him right now to a 17/18yo kid that is 85% fully-adult but isn't quite complete. I definitely see "puppy face" in his expressions and I think it will be more beneficial to let him settle into the household for a while and allow him to mature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.