GSD puppy and Belgian Malinois - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

GSD puppy and Belgian Malinois

Hello everyone!! I have a quick question, hopefully it's in the right place.

We have adopted a Belgian Malinois about 5 month ago, he will be 2 yo in March (i'm cursing my bf for bringing him home as i've already planned on getting my GDS puppy), needless to say, i love him to pieces now, but the problem is, he doesn't like other dogs, he's pretty aggressive towards them, and i work every day on his behavior issues, because he came to us totally untrained and mouthy so we have quite a challenge on our hands. He is getting so much better from when we first got him, but the dog aggression issue still exists. He tolerates our cat as long as she doesn't run, and he is OK with my sister's little dogs but he will chase him if dog starts running, ugh! What a high prey drive!

Anyway, i'm not sure what to do at this point, i love to have a GDS puppy, but i'm afraid to bring a dog home and have issues, specifically, i want a male pup, and that is another thing, 2 male dogs in the house.... can they coexist? Anyone owns a mal here along with gsd?

Thanks in advance!

PS: Here is our Mako the Maligator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12341216_1103089746369800_2387783108029790568_n.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	343921  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 05:05 PM
Master Member

I've found that aggression to dogs outside the home pack can be completely separate from aggression to dogs within the pack. That said, two males close in age, of similar breeds, you are setting yourself up for a crate-rotate scenario or a few good dog fights. If you chose to go ahead, get a female GSD. I'd advise you don't introduce a puppy while your malinois is still showing aggressive displays to strange dogs, because that GSD will soak up that behavior and mimic it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 06:28 PM
Crowned Member

I don't think it has anything to do with the breed. I have a malinut and he is fine with other dogs and excellent with puppies.

And I know lots of people with multi-dog packs including malis.

Unless you want to keep them completely separate, I honestly would not get a puppy of any sort until you get your current dog's issues under control. They learn much from one another and you don't want a puppy to pick that up.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 07:07 PM
Master Member

There are exceptions and variations along the continuum of dog-friendly to dog-aggressive in any breed. But malinois tend to fall more toward the more dog-reactive and dog-aggressive end of that continuum.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 03:34 AM
Crowned Member

Have a look here for leash reactivity:
Leash reactive, getting worse with time.

and have a look here for how to train an "off switch.":
Fearful, Anxious or Flat Crazy "The Place CommanD - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 10:27 AM

If the males are neutered it can make things run a little smoother. It is all about how they see your ALPHA and chain of command (military term sorry) but its how they see you and the other dog. If you google male vs male aggression or even can two male dogs live together theres a lot of information. Before adopting our new GSD Ellie we were looking at a Sable male. Went with Ellie not because she's female but because she fit our life style better. Every dog is different.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 11:26 AM
Knighted Member

Your Mal is 2 years old now, that is a good age difference to bring another male puppy home.

What would concern me is that you said you adopted your Mal, has he been neutered? This could be a problem for you bringing another male dog on, especially if you are planning on keeping him intact.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thank you everyone for your responses, much appreciated.

We've got him from the guy who had this Mal kept in the small apartment, sounds like he had no time to socialize him, i've never met the guy only talked to him on the phone. He works long hours so the dog was kept hidden, must have been walked at night? Who knows. Eventually dog was discovered and the owner was told to either move or get rid of the dog, so thats the story i've been told. The owner apparently adopted the dog from the shelter at 5 month old.

He is a bit fearful, he gets so anxious around cars it's crazy! Same with other dogs, so thank you for posting some videos, i'll do more search on how to break that behavior.

He has huge prey drive, he thinks with his eyes and not his head, a huge difference from my 2 GDS's, I have to literally run him for 3 hours a day to get the energy out, but I'm not complaining, it's fun for me and the dog, with short training sessions he is getting better, but need a lot of work with his anxiety around cars and dogs.

He is neutered and we took him to the vet to check his limping, did x-ray to rule out any issues (that was before i found out he was hit by a car as a pup).

So yeah, i have a challenge with him, but he's a great dog, smart, intelligent, quick to learn, and all that good stuff, except his prey drive is out of control right now and he is very mouthy, all he wants to do is chase and bite, all teeth! He likes to cuddle, and is pretty laid back around the house but gets easily excited if you start playing with him and get him going, so we try to be calm and not instigate any games with him when we don't want him to be too rambunctious.

So thank you again everyone for listening and any tips.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
Your Mal is 2 years old now, that is a good age difference to bring another male puppy home.

What would concern me is that you said you adopted your Mal, has he been neutered? This could be a problem for you bringing another male dog on, especially if you are planning on keeping him intact.
two year gap is actually recommended by some too!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 12:41 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburitica181 View Post
two year gap is actually recommended by some too!
Yep, that is what I said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page