Help! Ugrent! Chase has diarrhea Need help asap! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2015, 08:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Help! Ugrent! Chase has diarrhea Need help asap!

He hasn't been out of my sight so he didn't eat anything he should have and he had his regular dinner last night (a can of wet mixed with dry) he hasn't had breakfast yet. I don't know how he got diarrhea please help me figure out how and how to help him!
Chasegsdlove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2015, 08:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

rosko used to get diarrhea frequently. Sometimes I could trace it back to something he ate. Other times it just seemed random. Usually I would hold off on his food and cook him rice with shredded chicken. Followed by some pumpkin. ( He won't eat the pumpkin unless he sees me eat a spoonful first). Usually cleared it up fairly quickly.
Does he act normal. Or does he act like his stomach is upset.
cdwoodcox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2015, 08:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

He is acting normal but panting heavily
Old 12-20-2015, 08:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Do you have a thermometer where you can check his temperature. Is he drinking fluids
Old 12-20-2015, 08:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwoodcox View Post
Do you have a thermometer where you can check his temperature. Is he drinking fluids
No I don't but I've read on how to check their temp without one and he feels fine. And he has had plenty of water
Old 12-20-2015, 08:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
He seems to be cooling off now he isn't panting anymore
Old 12-20-2015, 08:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hope he gets to feeling better. Stress or maybe just an upset stomach can cause him to breathe heavy, as long as my dog was acting normal and drinking with no temperature I would give it some time today and if he was acting the same tomorrow I'd call my vet.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Withhold food for 12 to 24 hours (12 hours if pup) making sure to offer water so dehydration won't occur. You can use Children's unflavored Pedialyte (a liquid) to replenish electrolytes if diarrhea or vomiting is bad or you think he's getting dehydrated.

Then feed several small meals per day:
Boneless, skinless chicken or turkey breast (you can get ground turkey breast at the store) boiled, rinsed and drained. Over cook the rice with more water than the recipe calls for. Shred chicken, add over cooked rice and a couple of table spoons of PLAIN canned pumpkin (per meal), mix and feed. Chicken/Turkey and rice should be a 50/50 mix.

When you feel this has passed, slowly begin to add his regular food.

Did you get a new bag of food in the last day or so? Sometimes they just go bad!

Also consider seeing a vet if the heavy panting does not subside.

Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2015, 08:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Hope he gets to feeling better. Stress or maybe just an upset stomach can cause him to breathe heavy, as long as my dog was acting normal and drinking with no temperature I would give it some time today and if he was acting the same tomorrow I'd call my vet.
Ok thanks for your help I'll keep you posted idk where you live but it is 7am where I am so I'll post back on this thread tonight for an update
Old 12-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Cdwoodcox, Chase is definitely acting his normal self. He was a "bad dog" cause he pooped on my bed (that's when I realized he had diarrhea) something we do when after he has been the "time out zone" (get no attention or treats for a while) is I'll ask him "You know what you did was wrong" he'll give me a paw like saying yes I'm sorry mom then I'll say promise you won't do it again and he'll give me his paw again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.