Many thanks to the members of this forum! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2015, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Many thanks to the members of this forum!

Our GSD puppy Na'avah recently has been battling a bout with Giardia and its taking a few dosings of Purmacur and some anti-diarheal to control it. After reading some of your postings, we started to add bananas, yogurt with pectin, slippery elm, garlic, and other items to her diet...and we are seeing real results now. We're cautiously optomistic that the light at end of tunnel is no longer an oncoming freight train.

I joined today in hopes of continuing to learn updated information that exists today vs the data that existed 15 years ago when i got my previous GSD puppy. I also hope to be able to contribute what I learned from having a 15 year old GSD and assist those that are coming to grips of having a senior dog.
Na'avah's Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2015, 12:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Welcome ND!

The other thing you'll want to get for your "arsenal" is called "Kocci Free" for the Giardia.
Amber Technology Nutraceuticals for Pets Kocci Free 1 oz

Also, make sure that your Garlic dose is correct.
Dr. Pitcarin:
*1/8 tsp to each cup of food OR
*10 to 15 pounds half a clove
*20 to 40 pounds 1 clove
*45 to 70 pounds 2 cloves
*75 to 90 pounds 2 and a half cloves
*100 pounds and over 3 cloves

Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2015, 12:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

This company has amazing products!!!

Isn't Giardia the WORST???? We battled it for 3 months!

whoops meant to quote Mom's post for that

Last edited by wick; 07-24-2015 at 12:52 PM. Reason: EDIT: whoops meant to quote Mom's post for that :)
wick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2015, 01:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Welcome. I am glad you got through that successfully. I often times have fosters that have Giardia or Coccidia and it can be mind bending.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hundeliebhaber
Dedicated to Rescue

Pack:
Rudy. 3 YO BLK n Tan Melanistic GSD
Paige. 1.5 YO Old BLK Belgian Malinois
Lola 7 YO Jack Russell Terrier
Bella 7 YO BLK Slver GSD RIP sweet girl (Bloat)
The Wild Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2015, 01:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
Welcome ND!

The other thing you'll want to get for your "arsenal" is called "Kocci Free" for the Giardia.
Amber Technology Nutraceuticals for Pets Kocci Free 1 oz

Also, make sure that your Garlic dose is correct.
Dr. Pitcarin:
*1/8 tsp to each cup of food OR
*10 to 15 pounds half a clove
*20 to 40 pounds 1 clove
*45 to 70 pounds 2 cloves
*75 to 90 pounds 2 and a half cloves
*100 pounds and over 3 cloves

Moms
Actually I'm using 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder for two cups dried rice which in turn is creating 4 cups prepared rice. She's only 35 lbs so I'm being cautious. As she gets bigger I'll increase it...assuming we have this issue again. As for Cocci free...I see 15 drops 4 times a day for 1.5 pets daily. IN my mind that's $360 invested in homeopathic remedy if I go thru a bottle a day. Seems excessive?
Old 07-24-2015, 02:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Na'avah's Daddy View Post
Actually I'm using 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder for two cups dried rice which in turn is creating 4 cups prepared rice. She's only 35 lbs so I'm being cautious. As she gets bigger I'll increase it...assuming we have this issue again. As for Cocci free...I see 15 drops 4 times a day for 1.5 pets daily. IN my mind that's $360 invested in homeopathic remedy if I go thru a bottle a day. Seems excessive?
Kocci Free is actually an herbal!

This is how I figure it:
Active cases of Giardia/Coccidia: (this is for one dog): 60 drops per day (4 divided doses of 15) X 10 days (suggested period) is 600 drops. There is approximately 1,080 drops in a one ounce bottle of Kocci Free for $40.00

You can use less drops per day if it is not a bad case of Giardia or Coccidia.

See this page for more details: Coccidia & Giardia Natural Effective Treatment & Prevention

BTW, MSM (an organic sulphur) makes the bowel "a very unfriendly place for parasites". There are very different grades of msm. I've researched several and this one is the best! Read about it here and on Bergstrom's other pages: http://www.bergstromnutrition.com/pu...esale-partners . On that page is a company called Kala who distributes it. They are great! I get a 10# container and keep our two Fur Babies on it daily!

Hope this helps!
Moms

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 07-24-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2015, 02:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

You don't go through a bottle a day, you should only need half the bottle to one whole bottle TOPS to treat a case of giardia with these products. If you dont clean/disinfect properly you may need to re do treatment, but this stuff is amazing, worth the 40$ Wish we had found it sooner.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wick View Post
You don't go through a bottle a day, you should only need half the bottle to one whole bottle TOPS to treat a case of giardia with these products. If you dont clean/disinfect properly you may need to re do treatment, but this stuff is amazing, worth the 40$ Wish we had found it sooner.
Ok, that's a better description than website gave, or maybe I'm just losing it too.(lack of sleep from middle of night diarrhea runs). I'll look into it and MSM as maintenance in the future. Right now we gave last Panacur shot this morning and she still has two days left of anti-diarrhea meds. We'll be able to tell soon after that if we cleared the system. We've started integrating her kibble back into the rice and beef mix. We'll start reducing but not stopping bananas and yogurt. Hopefully this is all gone by next week.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I would keep her on the yogurt or some sort of probiotics forever! They are great for their health, plus it will be good to help her build up the good bacteria once the protozoa is gone, plus it keeps the immune system healthy so it will be able to fight off further infections (giardia is everywhere).

Also canned pumpkin puree (pure pumpkin not the pie mix) is a miracle worker for solidifying stools if you haven't tried it yet, in case you need back up when you go off the diarrhea medication. Wick hated to take oral medications so we actually mixed them into tiny pieces of banana with a fork.

I read that the panacur and anti diarrhea meds are actually rough on the immune system so you might want to just continue with the rest of your regimen for a while after going off those because they will all continue to support it as you transition into the normal foods again.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wick View Post
I would keep her on the yogurt or some sort of probiotics forever! They are great for their health, plus it will be good to help her build up the good bacteria once the protozoa is gone, plus it keeps the immune system healthy so it will be able to fight off further infections (giardia is everywhere).

Also canned pumpkin puree (pure pumpkin not the pie mix) is a miracle worker for solidifying stools if you haven't tried it yet, in case you need back up when you go off the diarrhea medication. Wick hated to take oral medications so we actually mixed them into tiny pieces of banana with a fork.

I read that the panacur and anti diarrhea meds are actually rough on the immune system so you might want to just continue with the rest of your regimen for a while after going off those because they will all continue to support it as you transition into the normal foods again.
I plan to as part of the "raw diet" part of her regimen. I just really laid into the bananas and pumpkin to bulk her up. She's doing good now and I don't want to constipate her. So we'll reduce the intake to more reasonable amounts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.