German Shepherds Forum banner

What are you training today?

4K views 46 replies 26 participants last post by  Nigel 
#1 ·
I'm off to do my evaluations for our County SAR. If I pass today I'll be a "ground pounder" until Tygo is certified and then I'll be on the K9 team. I got some new "cadaver" tissue and I'll work with Tygo on that this evening. Tomorrow, taking the day off but on our walk I will work on directionals a little, including a "tree" command, to look up.

What are you training today?.... assuming we should do a bit every day.:)

#2 ·
Nothing today. Well maybe a little in between simple fun of running around with a rope along with the neighbor's Tervuren while we stand in the shade watching these two young dogs chase each other and jump in the creek once in a while.
There is always some training going on in daily life with her.

#3 ·
Nothing today, but tomorrow we're (we = Gryffon and I), driving 2 and half hours to meet up with a training group in another town. In addition to working on the standard IPO exercises, we'll be doing more realistic-type protection scenarios like car-jackings and hidden sleeve work.

For driving, Gryffon still has some traffic skills to figure out, but it will be mostly highway driving so should be easy enough for him as long as he doesn't get too distracted by deer or moose on the side of the road.

#4 ·
Associating the click sound with the treat. I think he's getting the hang of it :) when his head is turned away and I click he swings right back to the treat and instead of biting my hand holding the chicken he is now biting the clicker itself.

Puppy says: I WILL make it click! *CHOMP*

#6 ·
Scent detection training. Still new to this and not sure we will continue so far its as exciting as watching paint dry. Rommel does well, actually exceptional when it is his turn but all that time waiting in the crate is neither of our favorites. Right now I am off to go hide "items" in boxes all over the garage.

#8 ·
Pets man pets... The most interesting one is this dog that needs a force fetch on him for hunting retrieves. That dog does not want to retrieve period so the entire process has to be compulsion based just about. Force fetches on malinois are really easy by comparison cause they love having things in their mouths.

#9 ·
Awesome everyone!

I made the team. As of tonight I am mission ready as a ground pounder. Next I will teach Tygo to drive like Gryffon. How cool would that be if he could drive to and return from searches. Ha.

#12 · (Edited)
Training the hubs to train Titan in conjunction with play time :p we just got off skype and he is going to go do that :) He is just in charge of keeping Titan regular with his Basic OB while I am away! I am looking at getting into an agility class when I get back thought!

Have fun training today everyone!

And congrats DutchKarin!!!

#14 ·
congrats on making the team!! LOL Lucia, dodging moose must he a great skill. No doubt Gryff will rise to the occasion!
I took today off, usually we train on Saturday(IPO), but my ride was in the shop. I ended up taking Gambit to a car show, so he did get some training time in....socializing with city life and not being around his mentor Karlo.
I planned on tracking this evening, but we had two major storm systems roll through and over 2 inches of rain dumped today. It is still raining.

#18 ·
Congrats on making the team!

Currently we are training on making record nap times. :D

#22 ·
Curious how Tygo is doing? You were thinking of testing in the fall for cooler weather scent purposes... I've been busy busy with two trailing dogs... Whew! I'm getting in phenomenal shape, lol... They are both imprinted on cadaver scent but not on their alert, so need more work there...

#23 ·
First trailing in a snow storm for the pups (1.5yrs now so not really pups). They have been in snow of course but started their SAR work in March and we had sooo little snow last year they never got to work in it... They loved it of course and did an awesome job.

#24 ·
Hi. I'm working to arrange testing now. Have one date almost set. Not going fast enough for me. My impatience is raging. But we have done several mock tests including the 110 AC mission ready test and all is good. Just got back from a 10 day vacation and Tygo did not train for two weeks. Last night at training he was hot, just about killed me with his yo-yo alerts! Sometimes taking time off really helps. Thanks for asking.

We too have snow on the ground. Tygo loves it too. He is a snow dog big time. Have fun out there. I love working in cool and winter weather.

#27 ·
It is definitely neat to see the progress. Areli has only been doing this for 8mos and Akivah about 4mos (he had been put on hold until Areli had certified, now he is back in training).. Reading their past logs is so cool.. Seeing how far they've come and how much I have learned (and continue to)... Amazingly rewarding..

#28 ·
I figured I would refresh this thread. Enjoy reading what everyone was doing for training..

We have been doing lots of training lately (well always, but we've had quite a few missions thrown in so it seems like more, lol). Work HR 3-5x a week and trails 4-6x a week - as long as I have subjects.. Both dogs go stir crazy if too many days are skipped. So what is everyone else up to?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.