Dog parks? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2015, 03:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dog parks?

Hopefully I put this in the right spot!
I hear people complaining about bad dogparks all the time, and I am curious, am I just, lucky to live in an amazing city with a great park or is this normal?
My dog park, has a bulletin board, clearly stating the rules (and cool dog activities in the area), signs with the "Yellow Dog Project" (You much have something yellow present on your leash if your dog is injured/sick/aggressive/nervous/etc.), climbing trails, the huge Okanagan lake, a large field, benches, picnic tables, 2 closed off parking lots... people are pretty responsible. Ive been taking my dogs for a good 4 years (My blue heeler before Phoenix, walking neighbors dogs and such) and never had problems.
I've done all of Phoenix's socialization here, as well and commands (for the distraction) and shes turned out great! :P (but who doesn't say that about their dog?) The other owners are very well educated...

I'm guessing I am just lucky to live in Kelowna with a great dog park and neighborhood?
Heh, just curious about others experiences and if this is normal...
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2015, 03:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

i never seen a sign that detailed before but people don't follow signs.
scarfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2015, 03:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada.k9 View Post
Hopefully I put this in the right spot!
I hear people complaining about bad dogparks all the time, and I am curious, am I just, lucky to live in an amazing city with a great park or is this normal?
My dog park, has a bulletin board, clearly stating the rules (and cool dog activities in the area), signs with the "Yellow Dog Project" (You much have something yellow present on your leash if your dog is injured/sick/aggressive/nervous/etc.), climbing trails, the huge Okanagan lake, a large field, benches, picnic tables, 2 closed off parking lots... people are pretty responsible. Ive been taking my dogs for a good 4 years (My blue heeler before Phoenix, walking neighbors dogs and such) and never had problems.
I've done all of Phoenix's socialization here, as well and commands (for the distraction) and shes turned out great! :P (but who doesn't say that about their dog?) The other owners are very well educated...

I'm guessing I am just lucky to live in Kelowna with a great dog park and neighborhood?
Heh, just curious about others experiences and if this is normal...
You are just lucky so far. The chances you have ran across every person that uses the dog park are slim. This doesn't count newbies you also don't know. It only takes one bad apple at the right time. Just my opinion. You can do what you feel.
jafo220 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2015, 03:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I count you as fortunate.

It sounds like you live in an area of mostly dog savvy/educated type people and you haven't run across a bad apple.

What you describe is nothing like what I have seen in a 30 mile radius around me.

The fact of the matter is, around here, there are just too many chips on shoulders.

"Don't tell me what to do with my dog" sort of attitude.

It leads to a lot of people fights at one of the parks I've been around.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

I wish the dog parks here were trustworthy. An open field would be so great for her. However, it causes her too much anxiety, and she has been nipped. ALSO, an Akita almost ripped both of us apart. The owner had no control and the dog was VERY aggressive. I shielded Wolf and calmly asked the lady to get her dog away from us (she didn't because the dog didn't listen to her). We finally got away, but a few people came to check on us.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

OP, you've been lucky!

Leerburg | Dog Parks: Why They Are A Bad Idea and for the few that chose to go anywhere becasue hey "my" dog is fine!

Three Dogs Who Shouldn’t Be at the Dog Park or Daycare | Robin Bennett those are the dogs that can signal trouble..has just arrived!

All it takes is one bad encounter to turn a good dog into a nerve bag! But hey Dog Park dogs keep dog trainers and behaviourist in business!

I do consider it my "job to protect my dog!" I'm getting that dog off my dog and I'm going after the dog's owner! So now you have LE and lawyers involved. I don't need the hassle so I just say 'NO."

And in that vein Dogs aren't the only danger in a Dog Park, this happend a few years ago but the dog is still dead!

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...n-shepherd-mix
Dogs aren't the only danger in a dog park!

Dog Parks tend to be a collection point for the clueless and the uninformed! (Yes a broad sweeping catheterization, so I apologize to the 12 or so folks I've offended. )

I put to much time,heart and money into my dogs to let someones untrained cur use them as a chew toy!!

But...in the interest of full disclosure, I have taken my well trained GSD to the Dog Park for proofing. Off leash we tour the grounds he follows me around and dogs have gone up to him and met him without issue. He was taught to ignore other dogs so they check him out and seem to think...this dog is not like the others and leave.

And no if there is an incident I will not go over the top on an owner because I "knowing"
put my dog in harms way for training purposes.

Last edited by Chip18; 03-02-2015 at 04:41 PM.
Chip18 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2015, 05:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

My god, I've never heard that story about the husky getting shot. That's terrible!! I've never been to a dog park with Ollie but that story alone will probably keep me out of them. Who's gut reaction is to shoot the dog?!?!?!?! Granted, I wasn't there to see it and don't know how it happened, but still.... You could've stepped forward and just gave the other dog a good swift kick, IF in fact it was necessary.
RobBlueMaro is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2015, 05:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Are all the dogs on leash? Do the dogs read the sign so they know not to approach a dog with a yellow leash? Who brings a sick or injured dog, not to mention an aggressive or nervous one, to a dog park?
DutchKarin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2015, 06:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hmmm guess I brought the gasoline and the match...so my job is done!

As they say..."now you know!'
Old 03-02-2015, 06:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchKarin View Post
Are all the dogs on leash? Do the dogs read the sign so they know not to approach a dog with a yellow leash? Who brings a sick or injured dog, not to mention an aggressive or nervous one, to a dog park?
Cretins!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.