Training: one on one or in-kennel? Looking for OB trainer in the Raleigh area. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2015, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mog

Default Training: one on one or in-kennel? Looking for OB trainer in the Raleigh area.

Hi all,

This is a two part post, which is why I posted here.

For those of you who have taken your pups in for training, whether they were one on one sessions or in-kennel training, what are your thoughts? Guess I'm looking for more advice from those who have done in-kennel training.

Our pup Maximus is 7 and a half months old and I would like to take him in for formal training. He knows most of the basic commands and listens "most" of the time But he started getting aggressive towards others recently when he's lose in the yard and someone passes the yard, whether they are jogging, walking another dog, etc. And gets overly excited when someone comes into the house (could be me, my daughter, neighbor for the afternoon potty break, etc) and forgets all his manners and could care less about listening It seems like basic OB issues that I'm dealing with and haven't been able to control.

I contacted the breeder but they don't have any recommendations for a trainer in the area and I have to find someone myself. I've searched here, but most of the inquiries/advice are years old.

I've read a lot of positive aspects of in-kennel training, but a lot of horror stories as well... also the price is of concern. I've seen pricing anywhere from $500 to $3000... I'm not looking for protection training, just good obedience training.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mog

Maximus - Male Sable - Born 7/14/2014
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2015, 02:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send him to me. I'm in Durham.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2015, 03:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I can't help with the find a trainer part but I think can help with the train your dog part if you're willing to put in the one on one time with your dog.

Start here "Place Command":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIGq_5r0DeE

And add this:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...10-post19.html
Looks like this:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...29-post39.html

Those are things you can do right now and if/when you find a good trainer are mostly things they are going to do!

Now it's going to get a bit tougher! If the dog/puppy can't walk on a loose leash?? Then that training is step one!

The first video clip is how you get there. Lots of info in that post. The dog park warning...don't know if you do Dog Parks?? But the other "problem" with them is if your dog routinely runs around out of control with a bunch of dogs, it reinforces the fact that "you don't matter!" If you don't do dog parks.... then disregard it!

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/5296377-post8.html

Then it gets a bit harder still because this dog has the opportunity to practice "bark,bark get out of my space behaviour!

Leerburg | Who Pets Your Puppy or Dog

Dog has to be able to walk on a loose leash, you manage his space keep people out of his face! He will learn how you expect him to behave around people!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2015, 03:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
Well...there is that!
Old 03-02-2015, 05:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mog

Quote:
*laughing* If only it were that easy.

Thanks Chip for the info. I have most, if not all of those posts favorite-ed already. There's a wealth of information here on the how to's of it... For me, it's coming down to a lack of time to dedicate towards training (and a little frustration) where I'm wondering if it might be better to get help.

The breeder did mention one trainer where someone who bought a pup currently has their pup for training. They focus on Lab's for hunting, but offer a 5 week in-kennel Obedience training. I spoke with the owner and I'm going to meet with him this Saturday. He has 2 openings as of tomorrow and could take our pup in. The price is fair, just don't know anyone with firsthand experience with them.

The last 48 hours it seems like Max is really getting out of hand and the frustration is setting in. Nothing bad, but not listening to commands he knows well, jumping on everyone, etc...

Maximus - Male Sable - Born 7/14/2014
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2015, 06:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
For me, it's coming down to a lack of time to dedicate towards training (and a little frustration) where I'm wondering if it might be better to get help.
Can't train a dog if you're frustrated but you know that and yes you have to have time! And your the best judge of that of course.
Quote:
The breeder did mention one trainer where someone who bought a pup currently has their pup for training. They focus on Lab's for hunting, but offer a 5 week in-kennel Obedience training. I spoke with the owner and I'm going to meet with him this Saturday. He has 2 openings as of tomorrow and could take our pup in. The price is fair, just don't know anyone with firsthand experience with them..
If you could see a couple of customer dogs that he has trained, I think that would be useful!

Quote:
The last 48 hours it seems like Max is really getting out of hand and the frustration is setting in. Nothing bad, but not listening to commands he knows well, jumping on everyone, etc...
I don't know your schedule, your life or this dog! So take all that as a given!

The dog is still going to be with you between now and Saturday! So I'm still going to recommend the first two options!

"Sit on Dog"...where is the dog now? I could put a 6 foot leash on Rocky at this moment and go back to typing...it would make zero difference to him. Just because something seems simple doesn't mean it won't work!

And the "Place Command" that will require more time but that alone could solve a lot of other issues, again more time but the dog is still there between now and Saturday!

The jumping thing?? I got schooled for posting this, it works for me, But if you don't know what it means to 'Pull a punch" and you can't balance on one leg for a couple of seconds then it won't work for you.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...78-post56.html

Just my 2 cents
Old 03-02-2015, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
*laughing* If only it were that easy.

Thanks Chip for the info. I have most, if not all of those posts favorite-ed already. There's a wealth of information here on the how to's of it... For me, it's coming down to a lack of time to dedicate towards training (and a little frustration) where I'm wondering if it might be better to get help.

The breeder did mention one trainer where someone who bought a pup currently has their pup for training. They focus on Lab's for hunting, but offer a 5 week in-kennel Obedience training. I spoke with the owner and I'm going to meet with him this Saturday. He has 2 openings as of tomorrow and could take our pup in. The price is fair, just don't know anyone with firsthand experience with them.

You do know I'm a professional trainer at a board and train kennel right? I wasn't kidding with you. The next class starts the 14th as soon as I get back from training mondioring dogs in MN.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2015, 10:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
You do know I'm a professional trainer at a board and train kennel right? I wasn't kidding with you. The next class starts the 14th as soon as I get back from training mondioring dogs in MN.
I do, I "assumed" he did as well??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.