If you plan on having kids, don't get a dog. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2015, 11:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default If you plan on having kids, don't get a dog.

A friend of mine on Facebook shared a link to this article, and I thought I would see what you guys think about it. Although I don't have kids so I can't judge, I can't imagine feeling that way about my dogs if/when I do become apparent. What are your opinions?

Kids and dogs: If you?re having a baby, do not get a puppy.
Didi: black lab/guide dog drop out
annap24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2015, 11:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Pretty heartless person. Life in general is busy. If I met this person in person I'm pretty sure that we would have words.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Good thing my mother didn't think that way! Our GSD went everywhere with me when I roamed around the military installations that I grew up on.

Not growing up with a dog? Waiting until the children are grown before getting one? Seriously, LOL? We had my little elderly yorkie when my son was born, and got our first Dobe when he was 4, and then he picked out his own dog when he was 9 (Italian Greyhound). We just lost that little Italian Greyhound this past October at almost 15 yrs old.

What a silly article!

CARLY ........ Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
RUSSELL .... Lauremi's Paix

and absent friends... SAGE ~ 2010-2015
dogfaeries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2015, 11:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Personally I don't have children, but as a child I grew up with dogs. My parents believed it gave us responsibility, each of us had a dog-job..young and old. My parents only bought the dog food, we did the rest.

Enjoy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Debanneball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2015, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I had two little ones, and got a GSD. We all doted on that puppy, and as he grew, we loved him even more. I got pregnant again when the dog was a year and a half. I took care of him myself, until he bolted after a squirrel, dragging me on my belly down the back deck stairs. I was 4 months pregnant, and luckily didnt get hurt. My kids took over taking care of him, and they loved to do it. He and the new baby became best friends. We never lost interest in him or stopped caring. Sure, his walks lessened because of the new baby, but as the baby grew up, Chief got his " Mom time" back. We miss that dog like crazy, and still talk about him often.
Wolfiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2015, 12:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

yeah, she s... me off - sounds a lot like my step-father.

Some of my best memories of childhood was with my kelpie on the farm - I want my daughter to have those memories As well.

Last edited by BeefedUpGSDs; 01-31-2015 at 12:44 PM.
BeefedUpGSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2015, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

For a laugh read the writers Twitter page on that article
BeefedUpGSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2015, 01:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Maybe she shouldn't have had either. Family life with kids and dogs can be chaos at times, but it's also very rewarding. We have 5 kids, 22, 20, 18, 12, and 10, we also had a Labrador and a malamute, both have passed on, and we now have 4 Gsds. With sports and other after school activities, it can become a bit of a juggling act, but I never felt overwhelmed by any of it, certainly never thought of our dogs as she does hers.

Oh yeah, a 4 year should be capable of wiping it's own butt.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2015, 01:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

I don't have children...so I can't say for sure...interesting article. I think what I would say is, probably don't have a newborn baby and get a puppy at the same time. That seems like a lot to handle haha. Also, if you have an adult dog that is high energy, and have one kid, and you are barely hanging on by the skin of your teeth. Why not use birth control? If you are already having a hard time managing the home and kid and dog... Don't throw ANOTHER (planned) kid into the mix. Just wait it out. It is too bad her dog stopped getting their attention and got swept under the rug so to speak. I especially feel bad because now he is 13, getting up there in age and this is the time their attention is needed most.

P.S.
When I was a baby I had a chow chow named lulu. She was black. One day my parents just opened the door and let her out on purpose so she would go away. They said she was eating our ducks. I wonder if she was really just too much to handle. I never forgave my parents for getting rid of LuLu!!
BARBIElovesSAILOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2015, 01:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Kids and dogs: If you?re having a baby, do not get a puppy.[/QUOTE]

The only thing I got out of this writer is that she is not built to take it and had just lost the desire to deal with it. How many of us have raised kids and dogs [or pups] at the same time? Sure you could have screamed out loud but you kept agoin' for the love of what you want out of life.... There was a dog there when I arrived. There were dogs there when our kids arrived and there are more dogs around now that our kids are having families.

Last edited by HOBY; 01-31-2015 at 01:20 PM.
HOBY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.