German Shepherds Forum banner

Variocage.....anyone have one?

39K views 70 replies 26 participants last post by  JWS 
#1 · (Edited)
I am purchasing a new car and looking to have a more suitable containment system for Gus. I want him and I to both be safe and being he is on the road alot, I want something that stays in the car.
Custom made products are out of my price range but I have found this and so far looks like it might be what I'm looking for.

Anyone here have any input before I spend 1k on this?

I am looking at the Double XL model.

See less See more
#2 ·
personally think that a quality safety harness might be better.

Don't have children in 'boxes' but have safety restraints.

my opinion.

#3 · (Edited)
I appreciate your suggestion but a harness is not an option. I will not have my dog spreading mud etc throughout my new car. He is a working dog and will have full days in all kinds of weather conditions at multiple sites. It's not practical for me to use a harness. I need some sort of crating system. It's between this system and a zinger winger aluminum crate as I need a side door on the crate.
If he were a child he would most definately be in a seat belt type system.

#7 ·
If I had the right vehicle for one (basically an SUV) I would consider the variocage. But I have a truck and already spent my money on aluminum dog boxes. :). I wound up with welded Owens boxes as several discouraged me from rivets (like in the zinger, which does have its following though)

I think how it fits is very important because of how it works but this model has been tested. I also like the design which would encourage the dog to lay down.

I also prefer to crate. I am not sure there is really good data on the harnesses and what I have seen concerns me.

#9 ·
Thanks to the help of very special friend who has become a very important person to me in my life, Gus has been outfitted with a new car and cage system.
After reading reviews on multiple crates and different car systems, I went with the Variocage. I put together myself sooooo it is quite simple and easy to install.

Here is the completed system.

Hugzzzzz Sunflowers.

#11 ·
I'm soo excited about it lol. I got the double so if one day I should have 2 dogs, I can put the back seats down...the crate can telescope to a much deeper measurement comes with a divider.
In the meantime I have the perfect size for Gus without having to lose back seats.

#14 · (Edited)
It's comparable to a zinger winger aluminum crate for cost but has the added safety as its crash tested. My biggest dilemma was a side door. I wanted to leave my back seats up as I am a mother with one still at home who plays alot of sports. I also wanted easy access for Gus to jump into crate and it having a side door was the only answer.
Gus loves the car and gets very excited, he also would prefer to be sitting beside me. Once he figured out he can rip and trash the best of crates in the car, containment became a huge issue for me. I need for him and I to both be safe when travelling. We spend ALOT of time together in the car. In the end this will save me a lot of money as I expect he won't be damaging this one.
At home he has a basic wire giant crate he could easily escape, has never tried. ...loves it.

#15 ·
That looks like a great setup! Is that a Rav4 you are using it in? I got a Mazda CX5 back in March, before I knew we would be getting a GSD...I can't fit a crate that my pup will fit in in the back of the CX5. Wondering if this unit might work though - looks like the side slopes back a bit which would be helpful. I will have to check these out! :)

#19 ·
If anyone in the PNW is considering a Variocage, I just received a message on the Utah list that Summit Agility is having a sale. We purchased a set of weaves from them last year and they were really nice people. :)

Crates | Product Categories | Summit Agility Equipment

#20 ·
What is the purpose of covering the back of the crate up? I understand the mat protecting your car when loading and unloading the dog. But why would you cover up the back end when traveling? Just curious on the design. I was looking at these for the back of my truck, but wanted something that the top was solid to avoid direct sun. I'm not sure if the mat could be adjusted to the top instead of the back end.

#28 ·
Nice! I really want one of these for my service dog. Same thing, lots of time in the car and I want to make sure they're safe! These are so impressive, especially the photos of totaled vehicles where the cage is just fine. The way they "crumple" to protect the dog from a crushed crate is amazing. Just can't afford anything near it. Right now working on the fundraising for my next service dog, its just about the one year anniversary since Tessa passed away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.