Unfairness Of Pet Ownership.. (Vent/Rant) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2014, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Unfairness Of Pet Ownership.. (Vent/Rant)

I didn't know how else to word it..
But this is basically what im talking about.. Lady I know has GSD, 3 dachshunds, and had a mix dog that she got rid of. Had one kitten and got rid of it, recently got a new one.
1.) She cant afford flea/tick medicine, dewormer, any vet care. Let alone anything else! At one point.. the GSD got ticks all over him, and she didnt let him in the house. So someone i know gave her flea/tick medicine to give him! And before that when he was a puppy the person i know bought and gave him dewormer since he had worms and she wasnt going to..
2.) She got a kitten and the GSD chases/ try to put in mouth, so the dog is allowed only in a small fenced in area (Since they moved) and when inside into a box crate... Apparently he is now getting into things the small amount of time he does get out of the crate or in the yard, etc.
3.) They use to live on a farm and the dogs would have free range, everywhere. The GSD followed and went in front of moving cars, after being bumped by cars multiple times, she didn't care. And also the dogs were use to free range on a huge farm pretty much all day. And now the GSD is confined to crate indoors or in a small fenced in yard..
4.) In the winter, they left the dogs out in the cold, no obvious water, no one home.. the short hair dachshunds shivering under the vent to the laundry. (if i saw this they would have been in my car..)
5.) One of the dachshunds has a really bad back.. Its incredibly painful and they do nothing..
6.) They use to go on long trips together, and would leave the dogs behind, they either woulnd't have set up someone to let them out of their box crates (this would be weekend things) and someone would have to do it without being asked.. OR they didnt ask anyone because it was a day trip..

So this is how its not fair.. if your not catching my drift.. This lady gets whatever she wants, when she wants. And this is at the expense of these poor animals.. She wants a GSD puppy? Well she goes out and gets one..
She wants to breed dachshunds, well she gets a male and female and breeds them.
She doesn't think this dog is "working out" well she gets rid of it and replaces it with a puppy..

Its just so unfair!! And i'm mostly talking about for the animals. They are just things with names to this type of person, she is NOT alone. Priority level on anything for these animals are little to none.
And as for us good pet owners, who care, it clearly is unfair. I mean what one of us know we cant get another dog.. or puppy for that matter. Because we A. not financially stable at this time B. don't have the space/living situation C. Wouldn't work with our current dog/pack, etc.
Or we worry about dogs when they have a slightest limp, or when we leave them alone? Or we could NEVER imagine leaving our dogs in a box crate for 12 hours! Or outside in the cold if they dont have the coat for it, the list goes on.

I use to work at a shelter, if you removed these dogs, they would just get more..

Just my rant..

IF you cant take care of your current dog and its basic necessities for a happy, safe, long life. Don't get more!!! (same goes for cats or other animals)

Last edited by VTGirlT; 11-20-2014 at 09:06 PM.
VTGirlT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2014, 09:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It seems in my experience that people like this get more and shouldn't have one and people that would do well with more are content with one. Balance would be nice, I can't take all of them in
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2014, 09:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Well Llombardo, you would only take the amount that you can take care of. That is for no one but you to decide, whether thats 1 or 12 dogs. Thats your decision and it seems to me that is based from a really good pet owner. The fact alone that you care about them as beings and not as objects/things, makes a world of a difference here!
Your pack is healthy, happy, and you would do anything for your dogs. So you are not even close to what i am talking about!
VTGirlT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2014, 09:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin

Can you contact animal control? Maybe if they have enough offenses they'll be legally prevented from having animals. Sounds like it would be easy for them to start racking up offenses
Old 11-20-2014, 11:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I would love to have more dogs, but I can only legally own three. I volunteer at a rescue. There are so many I would love to bring home.

IMO, if you chose to get an animal you are responsible for it. That means food, water, training, vaccines and yes even the expensive vet bills.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't understand why people get animals and treat them like objects with no feelings. They should stick with stuffed animals who don't mind being ignored. When I get an animal it has a home for life with me. I have never given up on any animal I had (notice I don't say owned) as they became family the minute I adopted them. I wish I were a millionaire so I could make a giant place with lots of room to run and kennels for dogs that have no one to love them - maybe one day I'll win the lottery. Every time I see an urgent notice about a beautiful GSD somewhere that needs a home I want to help that animal but I know I don't have the space or money. I can only wish.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGirlT View Post
IF you cant take care of your current dog and its basic necessities for a happy, safe, long life. Don't get more!!! (same goes for cats or other animals)
I agree with everything you said but I especially agree with the comment I quoted.

If you cannot afford food, vet care, etc. for the animals you currently have, DO NOT get more!!!!!

It's unbelieveable when someone says that they couldn't afford to take their animal to the vet or that they can't afford to buy a higher quality food and then they go out and buy a new puppy! Ridiculous!

I can't afford a new puppy right now, I would absolutely love to but I have to pay off my credit card, I have to pay for an invasive neuter that will be 2 or 3 times more money than a regular neuter in the upcoming months, I have to buy Christmas presents and I want to pay more a month on my car so I can pay it off quicker. I am also saving money towards a puppy from a really great breeder next year.

So ya, I get upset when I see people with new puppies that shouldn't have gotten them because I would like another puppy now.

But I am being responsible, I'm waiting, the animals I have now are much more important, I want them to continue eating high quality dog food, getting the vet care they require and being spoiled with toys.

And I have rehomed animals in the past, it isn't a secret, but I rehomed them so that they could have better lives. While they were with me, they received vet care, love, attention, toys and high quality kibble. They got trained, they got to go places with me like the beach, my mom's salon, etc. They were never treated poorly, neglected, ignored or banished. They were safe in my care at all times. People that mistreat animals disgust me and I hate people that don't have their dog's personal interest in mind. If the dog isn't happy in your home, rehome it to a home that will make that dog happy.

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13

Last edited by LaRen616; 11-21-2014 at 01:09 PM.
LaRen616 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.