Do Aussie Shepherd Dogs require more physical/mental stimulation than GSDs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2014, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do Aussie Shepherd Dogs require more physical/mental stimulation than GSDs?

I was just curious if Aussie Shepherd Dogs are as high energy and active as I've read online?

How do they compare to GSDs in terms of exercise requirements, need to work, ease of getting of bored, suitability for novice owners, etc.?

Saw some really nice ones today.
arctic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2014, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

I grew up with an Aussie named Katie who passed a few years back. Though every breed description is a generalization and every dog is unique, Katie was typical Aussie. High energy, high drive, very smart. We used to take her out in the fields and let her run her butt off. I am telling you, I think she could've given some greyhounds a run for their money because she would book. She was also very protective. When my brother was born, she would not allow strangers anywhere near the house unless my mom was present. Maybe others do not agree, but I sometimes feel the Aussie is similar in temperament to a GSD. Except Katie was not a biter really, she would love nip us kids sometimes on the butts if we were causing trouble lol.
Girl_Loves_Hydraulics is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2014, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes Aussies are very similar in lots of ways. Like the member posted before me said they are very energetic and super fast runners my 6 month old GSD simply can't keep up with my 9 year old Aussie. Also they are not as much of biters that is true as well. My Aussie was never a tug rope dog or had many issues chewing and biting things. In fact she only prefers plush toys and fetch. They are extremely loyal to the bone like a GSD except they don't quite have the favorite owner that GSD's tend to lean toward. An aussie is a herding dog by breed and placed in a family without farm animals they will treat you all as such especially children. They pick up on things extremely well their intelligence is remarkable and an Aussie will require a good bit of exercise it's best to have wide open spaces they can run and lots of free time to devote to playing especially if getting a young Aussie. Please post pictures and feel free to ask any questions Aussies were always my breed of choice for where I live. In fact the GSD I have now is my first ever so I'm a bit more educated to the Aussie breed. Here are my girls from the time my GSD was a pup till now, and might I add I've never seen such love between two dogs as I have with these!
Attached Thumbnails
Do Aussie Shepherd Dogs require more physical/mental stimulation than GSDs?-20140428_194922.jpg   Do Aussie Shepherd Dogs require more physical/mental stimulation than GSDs?-20140429_011642.jpg   Do Aussie Shepherd Dogs require more physical/mental stimulation than GSDs?-20140507_040518.jpg   Do Aussie Shepherd Dogs require more physical/mental stimulation than GSDs?-1399420192223.jpg   Do Aussie Shepherd Dogs require more physical/mental stimulation than GSDs?-20140910_180119.jpg  

Old 09-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oh and to answer your other question. I feel they're a good dog for a novice owner. As long as you read and know what to expect as with any animal you don't want to get in over your head. Aussies were the first breed I owned personally outside of family dogs. Their intelligence and keen ability to watch their master and catch on easily makes them a great dog for beginners. My Aussie learned lots of things all on her own and now hangs onto my every word commands or not.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The Aussies I have know were more intense than any German Shepherd I know. But again, there are mellower Aussies and higher drive GSDs than the ones I know. So it is hard to answer this one (for me). I love that GSDs have an off button.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2014, 05:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have had aussies for the last 15 years as well as my german shepherds I've had all my life.

I love my aussies, just lost my two senior aussies, one in Jan, the other in May My rescue was out of working lines, very serious when it came to 'play', more border collie-ish but was very easy to live with, he'd lay around all day with no problems, but be ready to go for a loooong hike/play if you asked him.

My female was out of Hall of Famer lines, mostly show, very very sweet, not a serious bone in her body, high prey drive, always on the move..She, however, would chase a bird to China and not look back, even at 14 years of age,,where my male was more into what I asked and more obedient

I have found with those two, correction based training did not work, more positive training, or they would just shut down and tune you out..They worked for 'what was in it for them" more food based.

My gsd's hands down, were easier for ME to train, more biddable, more "what can I do for you?" vs "what's in it for me?" And I have had some hard gsd's over the years..

Anyhoo, right now I have a 6mth old mini aussie, and must say she is a joy to train, she'shighly motivated whether it's food/toys, is very obedient , doesn't seem to be a "whats in it for me" type Does things because she LIKES doing them..

Certainly depends on the individual dog , there are high drive aussies, low drive, they really are all over the place type aussies.

I highly recommend Aussie Rescue, they have some really great dogs. There is Aussie and Me rescue in Florida, always FULL of great dogs..

know what you want and don't want, if you go with a breeder, find one who 'puzzles' (temp tests" their puppies) and you can't go wrong

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2014, 06:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

JakodaCD OA has gave you some great advice there. Just research and be sure of what you want. I love the breed and wasn't sure it could get much better but just like [COLOR="rgb(72, 209, 204)"]Jakoda[/COLOR] I got my first mini aussie nine years ago and was impressed all over again. Both the GSD and other Aussies that I have had were all very easily trained, energetic, and all around lovable. The big difference I noticed personally in my dogs was the GSD was fine to have no job she'll go with whatever I want, or just play all day without a care. My Aussies always had to have some priority whether it was herding of animals and or family, to hunting, and now the mini Aussie must place dirty laundry in the room it belongs in. Which she picked up on her own and I'm so grateful for lol. Just know your Aussies are just as energetic if not more and they must have duties or they will create them themselves from my experience.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

This is my 'mini" Kizzy,,we call her "Dizzy Kizzy",,even tho she's only 19.5 lbs, and 14 inches tall, she can outrun and keep up with my gsd no problem

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2014, 08:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Another Aussie fan here! Have always admired them from afar. Fostered a couple along the way and now we have our very own, Autumn. See pics in my profile photo album. She's a black tri and BFF of my female GSD.

She's active, loves frisbee, decent prey drive, LOVES food and praise. By far one of the easiest dogs to train I've ever had in my life. Agree with Diane about positive training too, that has been my experience with Aussies.

Autumn is a clown at heart, not as serious as my GSDs, she's almost always got that happy open mouth panting going on. She's more sensitive, her drives don't seem to ever get to a level where she will tune her owners out.

The only slight downside is I've found her to be a bit more vocal in a yappy sort of way. My GSDs bark for a reason, Autumn likes get everyone riled up in a good bark fest!

They can require a bit more grooming. I find that the under coat can get matted when they shed out. So you've gotta use an under coat rake on them every few months or take them to a groomer.

After being around and then fostering some Aussies and now having one I have to say they run a very close second to GSDs as my favorite breed.

Last edited by Gwenhwyfair; 09-30-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Gwenhwyfair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2014, 08:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yup, major Aussie cuteness factor right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post

This is my 'mini" Kizzy,,we call her "Dizzy Kizzy",,even tho she's only 19.5 lbs, and 14 inches tall, she can outrun and keep up with my gsd no problem
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.