Opinions on the Cane Corso Breed? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Opinions on the Cane Corso Breed?

Does anyone have any experience with this breed? What are your opinions?

Hi, I'm Charlie. And, you are?
Charlie-GSD 5/30/2011-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tiny-Toy Poodle 9/25/2009-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 05:03 PM
Elite Member

Great dogs. Needs strong owner who trains consistently. A lot of socialization. I love mastiffs! But they are not a great choice for many people.

-Cassie
Shenzi the GSD
Scruffy the woofing terror

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zira “To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” -J.K Rowling
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Elite Member

Never seen a Cane Corso up close. Nice looking dogs though.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 05:56 PM

In general great dogs and the breed is becoming more popular. However they are a mastiff breed and somehow different from shepherds.
Also, as with GSD, there are different bloodlines within the breed. In my opinion meeting the breeders and their dogs in person is a must.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Once I finish school and situate myself with a stable job and a home, I'd like to own 3 dogs, if circumstances permit. Dog 1 has to be a German Shepherd. It's absolutely mandatory. I was pretty set on the second dog being a Rottweiler, that is until I started reading about the Cane Corso. From what I'm understanding, they're very similar breeds, except the Corso is taller, which I like A LOT. I'm not quite sure about the third dog. I love giant dogs, but their size can't be a hindrance. Originally I though the Rottie was the best combo of these traits, but it seems like the Corso would fit that bill just right. 120 pounds of Mastiff muscle, without looking clumsy, all while having a decent lifespan. I might still see if a Rottie would fit in, but I like to diversify my dog packs. I also like the history behind the Mastiff breeds.

Hi, I'm Charlie. And, you are?
Charlie-GSD 5/30/2011-

Tiny-Toy Poodle 9/25/2009-
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 06:47 PM
Elite Member

Ever consider a presa?

Presa Canarios of Cabeza Grande Kennel

I have met the breeder, she is very good. I med several of her dogs when she was starting out many years ago, they were great. I can't speak for the current dogs she has.

But, 3 large dogs that have strong personalities will be a challenge. You will have two of the same sex, and with these dogs no telling what could happen.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 06:55 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieB.Barkin View Post

Does anyone have any experience with this breed? What are your opinions?
I know there are good Cane Corsos, talk to David Winners on this board, he has one. But these dogs require an exceptional owner. The thread "Cane Corsos kill jogger in Michigan" is about an incident not far from where I live. The dogs have been pts, and the owners have been charged with second degree murder. They, obviously, were not good dog owners, probably even if they had yorkies. Anyway, research them well before you make any decision.

Susan
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 08:01 PM
Crowned Member

An acquaintance of mine had one. The dog had no house training, no obedience training, and was locked in the crate all the time. He was a beautiful dog that took a liking to me. After a little convincing I got the owners to give him up and I found a suitable home that he thrived in. Beautiful dogs.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 10:09 PM
Crowned Member

a good friend of mine owned one, she was very protective and aloof. after she got to know you, she was a very nice and affectionate dog.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan_GSD_mom View Post
I know there are good Cane Corsos, talk to David Winners on this board, he has one. But these dogs require an exceptional owner. The thread "Cane Corsos kill jogger in Michigan" is about an incident not far from where I live. The dogs have been pts, and the owners have been charged with second degree murder. They, obviously, were not good dog owners, probably even if they had yorkies. Anyway, research them well before you make any decision.

Susan
Yeah, I read the same thing when people inquired about GSDs on other boards. The bottom line is that in certain situations a dog can be dangerous. Especially a larger powerful breed.
I read about many incidents involving Pitbulls, Rottweilers, Mastiffs, you name it. If we judge by the media, one shouldn't own any dog larger than Chihuahua.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page