Pup got attacked. Was I wrong? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2014, 04:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

I had a similar situation with a big male ridgeback. The owner was unable to contain the dog, I had no issue kicking it multiple times in the face to protect my pup.
Would I act the same if the event would happen again? Yes only I'd kick the stupid owner when I'm done also
d4mmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2014, 04:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You would think after the intial encounter the woman would not come back again, but as DJ said, sometimes you need to be blunt from the get go. Hopefully not, but if something like this happens again, try to wheel-barrow the aggressor, in your scenario it probably would have worked.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

martemchik, you got me there.. It was an on-leash park as far as I know... I just totally thought it was understood like "you stay there, i'll stay here, no problem". Really no clue why she decided to walk over. From what I've seen with my limited experience.. There are some owners that just HAVE to meet other dogs if there is one.. Like they're getting all antsy to have their dog play with another dog. (Hahah, kind of funny because its actually always the GSD owners that i see at the park that sort of mind their own business)

Will keep wheel barrel in the arsenal! And kick to the face only in an extreme case! hahaha
GRANBYsyztem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

Sorry but I don't think that was over the top. I wish more people would discipline their darn KIDS like that. I swear, America the Land of the ButtHurt, and where everyone thinks they're the final authority on how to live your life. Not one of my finer moments, but I've had to hit a pit over the head with a tire iron before to get them off my Aussie, and I'd do it again in a heart beat. I think there is wayyyy too much sensitivity when it comes to certain things. Too much coddling and feelings nowadays. Just like a child, if you cannot control your animal there are repercussions. Either live with it or change it
Girl_Loves_Hydraulics is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 05:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl_Loves_Hydraulics View Post
Sorry but I don't think that was over the top. I wish more people would discipline their darn KIDS like that. I swear, America the Land of the ButtHurt, and where everyone thinks they're the final authority on how to live your life. Not one of my finer moments, but I've had to hit a pit over the head with a tire iron before to get them off my Aussie, and I'd do it again in a heart beat. I think there is wayyyy too much sensitivity when it comes to certain things. Too much coddling and feelings nowadays. Just like a child, if you cannot control your animal there are repercussions. Either live with it or change it
I don't think OP was over the top. I think that some decisions could have been made differently, let the woman know they can't meet, leave the park if the dog was acting that way.. but in the end what was done was what was capable by the OP at the time.

While I never want to be in the position to hurt another animal like that, I have to agree with you here. Not that we need to be beating our children or animals, which I believe is how some will take that.. but that somehow in this society, discipline, of any kind, has slipped past everyone. This is the "softer, gentler" world, which isn't reality at all and we are turning the new generations into these sensitive people who can't handle themselves when life really happens. Actions=consequences and sometimes those consequences just plain suck..

I digress. OP didn't hurt the dog, I'm assuming, as the owner was able to walk away with it and say anything about that. Her dog was the attacker and I have gotten in between a rushing dog a time or two when Titan was growing up.. never excalated but I was fully prepared to defend him in whatever way needed.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Just keep in mind your dog may be the aggressor one day (general statement) Not intentionally but someone may say he's attacking their dog whether in play or not. Having a 20 month shepherd is a lot different that having a 6 month old shepherd. and what goes around comes around. With that said. I can live with someone pushing my dog away from hurting his/ her dog, but discipline my child like that and it would be another story. No child should be disciplined by being thrown 3 feet or pushed. Period
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 05:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
AHAHAAHAHA! Grab another person’s child…put your hands on them, and see what happens to you.

The golden wasn’t murdering the OP’s dog. This wasn’t an all-out fight. One dog was probably just trying to dominate the other and the younger dog wasn’t comfortable with it. I don’t see anywhere that it said the dog even got a grip in on the OP’s dog. If you think you have to cause physical pain to another dog in this type of situation…I worry about how you treat your own animals. At the end of the day…this was an 8 month old GSD, not a tiny little puppy.

The call to violence is truly disturbing from some of the members.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well I'm gonna go ahead and assume that Girl_Loves_Hydraulics was talking discipline of children by parents has ceased to exist causing bad behavior and aids in creating this taboo subject.. disciplining... gonna again, assume she nor most normal people would throw a kid 3 feet or touch another's child in such a manner. The reference was meant to state as an expample of how our society has turned into this "OMG you grabbed their dog!!! You bad bad person!!" Versus, good for you defending your puppy... the OP never said they hurt the other dog. I know I have definitely physically removed a dog from my vacinity, with it yelping because I scared it. Didn't hurt it, just relocated it away from us because it was charging at Titan..

Unless I'm entirely off the mark and she meant to physically harm children and seek out dogs to man handle, but I'm guessing that's not the case here and it's being taken too far.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
AHAHAAHAHA! Grab another person’s child…put your hands on them, and see what happens to you.

The golden wasn’t murdering the OP’s dog. This wasn’t an all-out fight. One dog was probably just trying to dominate the other and the younger dog wasn’t comfortable with it. I don’t see anywhere that it said the dog even got a grip in on the OP’s dog. If you think you have to cause physical pain to another dog in this type of situation…I worry about how you treat your own animals. At the end of the day…this was an 8 month old GSD, not a tiny little puppy.

The call to violence is truly disturbing from some of the members.
The thought that you'll let anything happen to your dog as long as there is no grip on it is disturbing to me, personally.

Doesn't matter if it's 8 mos or 8 wks. No dog should be left in a situation that it isn't comfortable in just because it isn't dying. It only takes a second to escalate from scuffle/scared to fight/death.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
The thought that you'll let anything happen to your dog as long as there is no grip on it is disturbing to me, personally.

Doesn't matter if it's 8 mos or 8 wks. No dog should be left in a situation that it isn't comfortable in just because it isn't dying. It only takes a second to escalate from scuffle/scared to fight/death.
The part where you can't read that there are other ways to solve these issues other than physically hurting a dog isn't really disturbing to me.

You also missed where I basically don't allow strange dogs to greet my dog...which solves all these issues before they even come up.

For people to basically gloat about how they've kicked dogs in the face, and have hit dogs with tire irons is quite disturbing. That's the kind of stuff that just tells me they put their dogs in situations they shouldn't have been in the first place. If a tire iron is your only solution...something went wrong way before that and could've easily been fixed prior to that being a necessity.

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 09-05-2014 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Snarky comment..
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.