German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   how I spent my summer (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/485257-how-i-spent-my-summer.html)

carmspack 09-03-2014 09:44 AM

how I spent my summer

since it's Sept and back to school kids start off with the classic essay "how I spent my summer" .

feel free to join in .

As told to me -- one lazy Aug day , a kids' day camp was treated to a visit from a local zoo. The handlers and the animals are experienced in doing school visitations -- enjoyed by all . Routine . Except this time !
One of the animals escaped and went on the run .
Two and a half hours after frantic attempts to find and corral this beast , help was called in.
That help was a dog named Badger .
Badger had been used a while back to track and locate a pet dog that had gone missing. The track included miles along a spring-sloppy busy road way, across fields and farm yards, standing water , paved road , stone road - you name it - plus the dog was a moving target that went around in circles and doubled back -- but a good 10 miles later the dog was found and returned to his owner.

So Badger arrives at the day camp . The handlers let him sniff the carrying crate with bedding . He sniffs, he sneezes a few times , then spins on his heels and instantly goes into a strong focused track .

After 28 minutes -- the escapee is located and the handler is happily reunited , the animal popped into the crate .

All happy.

By coincidence I happened to visit Badger's owner within the hour of his returning to his home. Much excitement. The cell phone and texts were constant , retelling the tale . Word spreads fast .

Badger's brother -- Blast -- also a super tracker - ( Blast has just earned his Tracking Champion title after passing his UTDX Oct.21/12 at just 3 years of age! Blast earned his UTD, TDX and UTDX all in 2012, quite a feat! ) so a family trait .

So what beast was Badger tracking ?
A Fennec Fox . A tiny dessert fox with huge ears .
LA Zoo Delivers Your Fennec Fox Fix - ZooBorns

I had no idea that they were popular pets , lots of breeders of Fennec foxes in the United Kingdom .
Seems like the best of the dog and the best of the cat rolled into one . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzHXZaAuafI

So Badger finds the Fox . http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/germ...rmspack-badger

carmspack 09-03-2014 10:50 AM

story number two

When I am outside , which is a large part of the day , there is always a dog , or two, running free- hanging out . They dive into the pines and bush and have their chase games , popping out into the open field and then back again. This area connects both sides of the property .
So this one time burly Avery , a sandokan Duke Schaferliesel daughter, and equally burly Sumo are running , tongues hanging , body bumping , enter the pine woods to the south and disappear for a while . No worries. Each one can be recalled off a thawing box of chicken frames , so I know I can bring them to me no problems.
Then they exit from the opposite side , the north of the property. Sumo , called in , comes to me immediately. Avery stops by the 'utility area' backing onto pine and golden rod and ...
There is a large unused wooden dog house which pretty much serves as a lean-to for large sheets of multi ply marine plywood .
She is squatting on her hocks , her front legs furiously throwing out bushels of soil .
I go to see what she has found. Maybe a rabbit that they had been chasing that dove into its bolt hole ? A fox ? What?
I am now to her side peering in to see what is so fascinating to her . I feel a tickle . I know there is some stinging nettle so think nothing of brushing the nettle aside without looking . Still that burning stinging . This time I look around , no nettle - that area successfully cleared .
Look down at my loose black cotton work pants which are crudely cut to knee length.
Ho -- oh, wow , take a run , must do something immediate , not waste any time. Get out of there .
The front of my pants were covered in wasps --- so many it looked like I had collected burrs.
Ran to the nearest shelter , jumped out of those pants, dropped them and then ran to the house.
All the while hoping that Avery wasn't followed by angry subterranean wasps .

What does Sumo do?

Why he has to pick up the pants that I dropped and bring them to me !!!!

popped both dogs into crates and went into house -- to recover .
Six stings on one leg . Stings on belly. One on groin.

cold bath with Epsom salts and baking soda made things bearable .

I let those pants hang from the fence for a few days before washing them. Wanted to make sure nothing was alive to get me again.

The dogs were never bothered by the wasps.
Go figure .

And that is why I look forward to fall .

Daisy&Lucky's Mom 09-03-2014 10:50 AM

Great story. Love the idea of finding lost pets as it can happen so easily. Badger you and your handler rock!

wyoung2153 09-03-2014 11:08 AM

Oh goodness! What stories!!! I love the first one of the lost fennec :) Always lovely to have a happy ending.

Your second one, about the wasps, gave me the willies.. I am TERRIFIED of them.. I don't know how you handled that so well (unless you're leaving some things to the imagination :p ) Glad you were ok though! Those things are nasty!

MyHans-someBoy 09-03-2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmspack (Post 5979473)
story number two

When I am outside , which is a large part of the day , there is always a dog , or two, running free- hanging out . They dive into the pines and bush and have their chase games , popping out into the open field and then back again. This area connects both sides of the property .
So this one time burly Avery , a sandokan Duke Schaferliesel daughter, and equally burly Sumo are running , tongues hanging , body bumping , enter the pine woods to the south and disappear for a while . No worries. Each one can be recalled off a thawing box of chicken frames , so I know I can bring them to me no problems.
Then they exit from the opposite side , the north of the property. Sumo , called in , comes to me immediately. Avery stops by the 'utility area' backing onto pine and golden rod and ...
There is a large unused wooden dog house which pretty much serves as a lean-to for large sheets of multi ply marine plywood .
She is squatting on her hocks , her front legs furiously throwing out bushels of soil .
I go to see what she has found. Maybe a rabbit that they had been chasing that dove into its bolt hole ? A fox ? What?
I am now to her side peering in to see what is so fascinating to her . I feel a tickle . I know there is some stinging nettle so think nothing of brushing the nettle aside without looking . Still that burning stinging . This time I look around , no nettle - that area successfully cleared .
Look down at my loose black cotton work pants which are crudely cut to knee length.
Ho -- oh, wow , take a run , must do something immediate , not waste any time. Get out of there .
The front of my pants were covered in wasps --- so many it looked like I had collected burrs.
Ran to the nearest shelter , jumped out of those pants, dropped them and then ran to the house.
All the while hoping that Avery wasn't followed by angry subterranean wasps .

What does Sumo do?

Why he has to pick up the pants that I dropped and bring them to me !!!!

popped both dogs into crates and went into house -- to recover .
Six stings on one leg . Stings on belly. One on groin.

cold bath with Epsom salts and baking soda made things bearable .

I let those pants hang from the fence for a few days before washing them. Wanted to make sure nothing was alive to get me again.

The dogs were never bothered by the wasps.
Go figure .

And that is why I look forward to fall .

I am severely allergic to wasp and bee stings. I carry liquid Benadryl and an epi-pen with me.
So glad you are not allergic!!
This second story scared me. :(

carmspack 09-03-2014 11:26 AM

well - red fire ants were worse --
a lot of those wasps were stinging the material , got about a dozen stings altogether - thought of it as "bee therapy" for arthritis -- do what you have to do I guess

misslesleedavis1 09-03-2014 11:34 AM

I really did not have a productive summer, I worked, day tripped, boated alot and now we are renovating the washroom and kitchen.

carmspack 09-03-2014 11:42 AM

what is wrong with that misslesleedavis?
As I recall you had a few stories yourself visiting the new local dog park .

misslesleedavis1 09-03-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmspack (Post 5979729)
what is wrong with that misslesleedavis?
As I recall you had a few stories yourself visiting the new local dog park .

Lol yeah ;-) I seem to always be in the right place at the wrong time..I dont know if I should be happy or not but it makes for very interesting stories,

MichaelE 09-03-2014 12:00 PM

Lisl and I have been working on advanced obedience most of the summer up until it got too hot and humid outside. We'll start again in another month.

Did a lot of shooting and bar-b-q'ing. That's about it for my summer. I don't really like or do much during summer.

Most of my activities revolve around spring and autumn.