German shepherd defeats a Jaguar to protect night watchman at zoo - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2014, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default German shepherd defeats a Jaguar to protect night watchman at zoo

This is probably 1 of the most amazing stories about German shepherds i ever heard and wanted to share. It was a situation where a night watchman in a zoo was doing a nightly walk through with his female German shepherd and he then noticed the dog alert, it then was to be discovered a jaguar escaped it's cage; "jaguars are the 3rd biggest and most powerful cat next to the lion and tiger and go 200-300lbs".. without hesitation, the German shepherd in defense of the night guard charged and went at the jaguar and a viscous brawl broke out. They battled throughout the zoo and the night guard called for back up, when all was said and done, both were injured very bad, the jaguar had to be put down as it was still showing signs of aggression, and the dog needed emergency medical care... when all was said and done, after months of rehab, the GSD survived and actually went back to being a guard dog at that same zoo.

The zoo then put a statue of the GSD; Gabi was her name as a tribute to her heart, courage, and strength to take on such a dangerous adversary in defense of the night watchman.

This story just serves as a reminder of why the German shepherd is in a class of it's own as a guardian and companion in 1. Protection is "natural" to them as they were bred to guard sheep from predators along with herding them, so they look at their human companions as their "flock" and will protect them at all cost. I think all the more that's why we as humans need to respect that and also give them all the love and care they deserve and also repay them with the same protectiveness and love they give us. On that note, i don't think the dog should have went back to being a guard dog and they should have respectfully retired her after going through something like that in my opinion.

Here is a link to that story, hope you all enjoyed
Gabi (dog) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
GSDhistorian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2014, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Interesting story, looks like Gabi was a coatie too.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 12:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

having a bit of a hard time believing a gsd can take on a jaguar and survive.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 12:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
I doubt head on one would survive. I'm picturing a scared jaguar trying to escape with the Gabi in pursuit, perhaps making a few short moments of contact with the jaguar always looking for an out, like hounds chasing cougars/bears.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
True, one bite from a jaguar can cut him to pieces
But miracles happen >.>

"Vicky" 11/4/2014 (how to live without her?)
Maxil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
She had months of recovery, so she was seriously hurt. She kept the jaguar busy, while help was called. She played the role of prey and predator. She probably knew the zoo inside and out and the cat didn't, a big advantage for her, one that might have made her the survivor. She didn't kill him, but she kept him at bay.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 03:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

when i was stationed in san diego naval hospital, i would often walk across the street and watch them feed the large cats. 2 seconds of a brawl between a gsd and a "cat', and the gsd is done for. heck, i recently saw a bear turn and swat a pit bull mix, one swat with the razor sharp claws disemboweled this 70 pound dog who died on the spot. gsd are amazing dogs, but they have their limits. now if this was a declawed toothless old jaguar, then i could see it.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 03:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Defeat is probably a less than accurate description of what happened
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 06:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

I put this story up as a "positive" thing about the courage of the breed, and i see so many trolls saying "i doubt it happened, bla bla bla".. What.... do you think i just made the story up?? What about the link i posted? Did i take the time to make up a fake link for no reason?? What about the statue at the zoo of the dog and the story?? Did i build this statue myself and go deliver to the Belgrade zoo myself just to make up a story?? Man, people need to really use common sense before saying dumb things.
GSDhistorian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 07:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDhistorian View Post
I put this story up as a "positive" thing about the courage of the breed, and i see so many trolls saying "i doubt it happened, bla bla bla".. What.... do you think i just made the story up?? What about the link i posted? Did i take the time to make up a fake link for no reason?? What about the statue at the zoo of the dog and the story?? Did i build this statue myself and go deliver to the Belgrade zoo myself just to make up a story?? Man, people need to really use common sense before saying dumb things.
Its a real story, glad you brought it up. Here's another link with more detail.
Gabi, the Brave Dog

The result sounds like most would imagine, she got her clock cleaned, however she defiantly showed fearlessness, a trait lacking in the other guard dog that ran off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.