Saving up for GSD trainer, in meantime is a manners class a good idea or bad? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2014, 08:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Saving up for GSD trainer, in meantime is a manners class a good idea or bad?

So we have decided on a trainer to go to but they are a couple hours away and we need to save up $ in the meantime for it. So my question is, is it worth putting him in a local manners class run by our vet tech? Or is there a possibility she will train the wrong way and it'll be even harder when we go to the experienced trainer? We mainly wanted him to go to be more socialized with other dogs as well as just covering a few more of the basics and working on what we already know. It's a 6 week course for only $100 (because she's our vet) so it's not to expensive. We figured we would do this class and hopefully a few weeks after the end of the sessions we would have enough saved for the professional trainer.

Thanks for any and all input :-)
Love this forum, always great input and information!
GSD Owner in Training :-) is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2014, 09:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default trainer

HI owner in training

I have seen a few of your posts ... there is a german shepherd breeder/trainer near kincardine (howling winds). I have seen him at a lot of shows and know some of his lines.I have never trained with him but have seen them well behaved at the show. Its just a suggestion I would do my due diligence for training. I bring this up as it is a lot closer to you

http://www.howlingwindsshepherds.com/

Cheers
BUBBAGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 10:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I've never been to specific 'gsd' training.

I just go to any good trainers I can find. Puppy, obedience, agility, herding, tricks, WHATEVER. Any good training is more about teaching US what to do, and boy, do I need that
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 12:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

start with basic obedience.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 01:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Location: Clio, California, close to anyway. Live in a remote mountain area.

I agree with any training as we are in need. If you have time for classes then you have time to actually do it yourself(with all info possible). I have never wanted or had dogs for showing. Horses yes but dogs no. We(as I was young) quickly learned showing is beyond what any animal should be subjected to do. We rode horses for Endurance rides. For fun not accolades. Horses loved it. Many dogs, some papered and some not. Didnt care. The joy of an animal friend out weighs everything else. Do what you want of course, and love what your doing.
Skywalkers Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 01:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalkers Mom View Post
I have never wanted or had dogs for showing. Horses yes but dogs no. ........
showing is beyond what any animal should be subjected to do. We rode horses for Endurance rides. For fun not accolades. Horses loved it..
Trying to 'get dander up' again?

So, horses love it and it makes it ok to show them. I'm assuming you think dogs hate it.
Can you explain how you know horses love it and dogs hate it?
lalachka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 03:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

op, all training is basically expanded basic obedience training. i have found, sit, down, stay and come to be crucial. once these are mastered, heeling and off leash heel can be taught.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 05:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

You see, he knows sit, down, stay and come but it's the fact that he only follows through with it half the time. So I was hopping the manners class would help to instruct me on what I might be doing wrong in my communication.

As for the showing, I don't really want to show. I just want something for him to keep his mind busy. I've noticed that he really enjoys mental stimulation, but I don't really know how to give him good mental stimulation. So we are saving for a really good trainer so they can help me to build a good bond with Kato through teaching me how to communicate properly and keep him stimulated while bonding at the same time. If I ever think he is not enjoying it or doesn't like it, I would never make him continue it. But I'm pretty sure he will love those things.
GSD Owner in Training :-) is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 05:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD Owner in Training :-) View Post
You see, he knows sit, down, stay and come but it's the fact that he only follows through with it half the time. So I was hopping the manners class would help to instruct me on what I might be doing wrong in my communication.
If he only complies half the time, it's possible he doesn't actually "know" those commands. He may only understand them in certain contexts if you haven't worked on fully generalizing them to a variety of circumstances. If you haven't worked on them in gradually more distracting situations, he's going to have some trouble once you get him out in the world vs just working around the house in a low distraction environment.

I remember reading something interesting a long time ago and I wish I could remember where, and who wrote it. The gist was that in dog training you're teaching two things: What the command means, and why the dog should care. So another thing to look at is his motivation to work with you, and how strong that is.

I can't comment on this particular class, but in general I've never taken a training class that I thought was a waste of time. Frequently, my dogs have been well ahead of the other dogs or puppies in their classes in terms of the commands they know and their level of compliance, but if so, I still use that opportunity to work on them with the added distraction of a new place, with new sights and smells, and a bunch of other people and dogs nearby. That's something I don't have at home, working on my own.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2014, 08:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
If he only complies half the time, it's possible he doesn't actually "know" those commands. He may only understand them in certain contexts if you haven't worked on fully generalizing them to a variety of circumstances. If you haven't worked on them in gradually more distracting situations, he's going to have some trouble once you get him out in the world vs just working around the house in a low distraction environment.

I remember reading something interesting a long time ago and I wish I could remember where, and who wrote it. The gist was that in dog training you're teaching two things: What the command means, and why the dog should care. So another thing to look at is his motivation to work with you, and how strong that is.

I can't comment on this particular class, but in general I've never taken a training class that I thought was a waste of time. Frequently, my dogs have been well ahead of the other dogs or puppies in their classes in terms of the commands they know and their level of compliance, but if so, I still use that opportunity to work on them with the added distraction of a new place, with new sights and smells, and a bunch of other people and dogs nearby. That's something I don't have at home, working on my own.
Thanks for bringing this up. I had never thought of that, but your probably right. He knows his commands to certain situations but not others. I think the class will help him learn in a more distracting environment. I will also work with these commands out on our walk too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.