And now we have baby squirrels... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2014, 07:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default And now we have baby squirrels...

4am and Midnite is asking to go out, so I get up and let him out, trying not to open my eyes so I can go right back to sleep. He runs to the dog run area and noticed a whole bunch of branches between the run and the fence, but I still don't want to be awake. Then Midnite gets real interested in the area and starts wagging his tail and looking at me. I'm thinking its a toad but then I see something move and it's not a toad. I get him in the house and run to my work to get a heavy duty flashlight, a box, and a guys phone number that does wildlife work. I get home to investigate and find that there are two baby squirrels. I quickly decide this isn't a safe place for them and spend the next hour and a half catching them. I don't even know how I squeezed into the area, I kept thinking I was going to get stuck. Finally I got both of them into an empty pool with their whole nest. I don't think they are big enough to be on their own and I don't want them coming back to the yard, so I'm either taking them to the wildlife center so they can determine if they are old enough to release or the wildlife guy can release them. Hopefully they stay put and I don't have to catch them again. I am now wide awake, I hope Midnite is happy

Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2014, 09:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Oh my goodness--those little babies are fortunate that Midnite is such a good boy! My Orick would have had them in a hot second! In fact I JUST this morning had a tussle with him because a squirrel taking stuff up to its nest stopped to cuss at us, and Orick, all 58 lbs of him, nearly yanked me off my feet before I knew what was happening! He's healing from surgery on his foot, so he has to be on a leash. The incision is on the side of a hind foot, right where it bends. He popped it open once already, the vet had to put staples back into it 3 days ago, so I rushed him back into the house to look for damage. Sure enough, he pulled the lowest staple enough that there's a little blood, though not serious. Thanks, Squirrel. Wait til he can run again!

I found a baby squirrel once, my lawn mower went right over it, so small it missed it entirely. It was a weekend, so I called my vet who was also my former employer. He gave me some powdered formula to mix up for it, since there was no where I could find to take him then. The baby nursed from a toy baby bottle, and when Monday came I made a bunch of calls until I found a wildlife rescuer. She asked me if I was prepared to try an raise him. I have to admit, the thought was floating around in the back of my mind, especially after having him all weekend. Then she told me that unless I knew how to raise him for release, I would never be able to do that successfully. And she proceeded to explain how destructive captive squirrels are, etc., etc., and had me convinced. I took him over to her that day! And as many squirrels as there are, as pesky as they can be, I still wonder about the little guy, hoping he had a good life!

Susan

BTW, don't you just love those 4am wake-ups---"But mom, I'm serious this time--I have to go right now!"

Last edited by Susan_GSD_mom; 08-30-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Susan_GSD_mom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It's raining pretty hard now, so I'm happy I took the time earlier to get them to safety. The water can pool up where they were and they had nowhere to go. I just checked on them and they are in their nest in the pool like they would be in the tree. I will take this opportunity to take each dog out there to see them and teach be nice. I've do e that with turtles, ducks, and rabbits. Now adding squirrels to the list...
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 08-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Both you and Midnite are rare find. My dogs tail would have been wagging, but at the thought of catching one of those poor things. , and I probably would have went back to bed lol....
Msmaria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2014, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmaria View Post
Both you and Midnite are rare find. My dogs tail would have been wagging, but at the thought of catching one of those poor things. , and I probably would have went back to bed lol....
He's got a good nose on him, he never went to the bathroom when I let him out, he went straight for the squirrels. Now he is standing guard at the door wanting to go out there with them.
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 08-30-2014, 10:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Aaaaw, good boy, Midnite, and good for you for rescuing tiny, helpless wildlife!

When I was a kid and we had just moved to a farm, what is the first thing any kid wants? A dog!

We got a medium size poodle. Yes, a poodle. This dog could have kept up with any Cowdog, Border Collie, etc.
She didn't know she was supposed to stay clean, have the "poodle cut" or pink bows in her fur, lol.
She looked like a black mop and could swim in the pond, chase baby calves and roll in cow manure with the best of 'em.

One day she managed to kill a full grown groundhog, and while most farmers would be thrilled, we discovered MAMA groundhog had left behind 6 helpless, tiny babies.

Yes, you know exactly where this is going.

We raised those babies till they were old enough to be on their own.

We have a picture of me about 8 years old snuggling a tiny groundhog up to my neck.

I know...the last thing you want more of is something that is the scourge of every farmer on the planet, lol, but we couldn't let them starve!
MyHans-someBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2014, 11:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
He's got a good nose on him, he never went to the bathroom when I let him out, he went straight for the squirrels. Now he is standing guard at the door wanting to go out there with them.
Was Midnite always as sweet as this? I would love for my boy to be like that. I know some people think if you want a dog that loves eveybody and everything, get a lab..lol. .
Old 08-30-2014, 11:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Aww that is super sweet! ! I'm almost positive Zoe would be flinging then around.... :/
ZoeD1217 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmaria View Post
Was Midnite always as sweet as this? I would love for my boy to be like that. I know some people think if you want a dog that loves eveybody and everything, get a lab..lol. .
All of my dogs have this disposition. A lot of training and exposing them to stuff. It's a baseline temperament or quality that I see, can't explain it. I knew within a minute of seeing Midnite that his temperament was perfect to work with. Now if this was adult squirrel I would have to use recall training because he has a high prey drive and we haven't had much training in that regard(off leash).In my house we never growl or bite a child, never chase wildlife, and to alert me to anything that is a baby or injured. So far it's been a great success with all the dogs. When we go for walks they are to ignore squirrels, ducks, geese, etc and they do. We just got done training that we don't chase birds in the yard. Birds can now land safely within a few feet of the dogs and the dogs ignore them. It's always a work in progress. I have to do it because I would be horrified if they killed anything.
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 08-30-2014, 12:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
All of my dogs have this disposition. A lot of training and exposing them to stuff. It's a baseline temperament or quality that I see, can't explain it. I knew within a minute of seeing Midnite that his temperament was perfect to work with. Now if this was adult squirrel I would have to use recall training because he has a high prey drive and we haven't had much training in that regard(off leash).In my house we never growl or bite a child, never chase wildlife, and to alert me to anything that is a baby or injured. So far it's been a great success with all the dogs. When we go for walks they are to ignore squirrels, ducks, geese, etc and they do. We just got done training that we don't chase birds in the yard. Birds can now land safely within a few feet of the dogs and the dogs ignore them. It's always a work in progress. I have to do it because I would be horrified if they killed anything.
I have to give kudos to you it's obviously the training since all your dog's are like that. I would be horrified if my dogs killed anything. Living in the city I just haven't been able to expose dex to critters up close. At night he likes to chase the squirrels and possums that are in the tree and will even try to jump up the tree and grab branches. although the one time he had a chance to kill a possum, he didnt. But that may because the possum dropped "dead" at the sight of him and he thought he killed it. He sure was proud of himself. So that worries me. At the park I don't allow him to chase anything but he's alert and interested. My daughter wants to get a kitten, but I'm not sure how dex would react.

We just started herding lessons and he licks the sheep in the face, but he also nips them in the butt..lol, so I'm not sure if he's just licking them to get a taste ..lol

you will have to tell me how you train to alert to anything hurt? I'm guessing you train to not chase birds by rewarding them when they ignore the birds. We hardly see birds in our front or backyard anymore. It's not like when I was a child and birds were everywhere, so sad.

Last edited by Msmaria; 08-30-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.