German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Home invasion (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/483089-home-invasion.html)

Hunter4628 08-26-2014 09:58 AM

Home invasion

Has anyone's home been broken into even though you own a german shepherd? &no I'm not saying having a german shepherd that I should rely on my dog to protect the home. Just wondering if you ever had a home invasion with your shepherds home:) if so let me know how that went!

pyratemom 08-26-2014 10:04 AM

We had been burglarized previously many many years ago but not since I have a resident German Shepherd. I have an emergency sign next to my door that says "In case of emergency please rescue my pets" and then there is a space to list how many and what type. The top line says "1 German Shepherd" and the second says "1 cat". I didn't put that there to keep criminals out but to save my animals. There is an NRA sticker right next to it. I'm no longer a member of the NRA but between those two stickers, a robber should think twice I would think. I don't expect my dog to protect me. I am fully armed and ready to protect her though. I pity the person that tries to harm my daughter or my dog.

wyoung2153 08-26-2014 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyratemom (Post 5946129)
We had been burglarized previously many many years ago but not since I have a resident German Shepherd. I have an emergency sign next to my door that says "In case of emergency please rescue my pets" and then there is a space to list how many and what type. The top line says "1 German Shepherd" and the second says "1 cat". I didn't put that there to keep criminals out but to save my animals. There is an NRA sticker right next to it. I'm no longer a member of the NRA but between those two stickers, a robber should think twice I would think. I don't expect my dog to protect me. I am fully armed and ready to protect her though. I pity the person that tries to harm my daughter or my dog.

That is a really good idea to have an "in case of emergency sign" I would have never thought about that.. Especially if you are incapacitated and the police/ambulance have to come in without warning, and maybe the person there can't control your dog.. Food for thought.. thanks.

To the OP.. I have not had such an experience but I am interested to hear other's stories.

MichaelE 08-26-2014 11:31 AM

No.

I don't worry about home invasions.

I don't worry too much about burglary either.

LoveEcho 08-26-2014 11:48 AM

We did have an incident while we were living in Cape Cod, someone casing the property (or possibly intending to do worse). Didn't care about the ADT security signs or our GSD sign, or the Sig Sauer and NRA stickers on the vehicles. Didn't care about the very large dog going ballistic. He did end up caring about the shotgun in my hand (and the police cruiser coming up the street) and promptly left.

Where we live now is extremely rural... nobody even knows there's a house there. My neighbor who owns the only road in is a security nut and the place is pretty much on lockdown (gates, cameras, alarms). But, if someone did make it up to my house, it's not my dogs they'd have to worry about.

GSDhistorian 08-30-2014 04:03 PM

I have a female German shepherd i got from a shelter who i may add was NEVER protection trained, and 1 day my stepfather "who my dog knows and loves" called me when i wasn't home and asked if he could go borrow something from the house.. i said sure figuring since she knows him, there wouldnt be a problem.. well, he went there and said he got a few feet in the house and then she met him in the hall and started showing her teeth and growling at him blocking him from coming further in. Not going to lie.. i was pleasantly surprised and feel more comfortable knowing she is protective of the house like that! That said... i still keep the doors locked and take all preventative measures as if an intruder has a gun.. then the dog is at a disadvantage, so i do all i could to keep her safe... but good to know if someone does come in uninvited when im not there, she wont let them in :)

wolfy dog 08-30-2014 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelE (Post 5946481)
No.

I don't worry about home invasions.

I don't worry too much about burglary either.

Yep!

Alice13 08-30-2014 07:10 PM

It hasn't happened to me before but I have heard of some. My friend who owned a GS mix had his house robbed a few months ago. The burglar gave it chloroform so it passed out before entering. I have also heard of some others where the dog was shot. After hearing all this, I'd rather mine stays clear of intruders in case they decide to kill her. I am not even allowed to keep a gun to protect her and me.

Cassidy's Mom 08-30-2014 07:16 PM

No. I don't expect my dogs to protect my home, but they will bark their heads off, which is a pretty strong deterrent. Why would someone break into my house, with loud, obviously large dogs in residence, when they could break into another house down the street that doesn't have barking dogs?

llombardo 08-30-2014 07:28 PM

I can see it possibly happening with one dog but once you start hitting 2, 3 dogs, they would be stupid. The noise alone would get them caught. On breezy nights I sleep with the front door open, screen door locked. A couple of the dogs lay right by the front door and a couple by the back door and a couple in between. If someone wanted to come get me and were willing to through 6 dogs to do so, they would have to be pretty determined and want something I have really bad.