Any Belgian shepherd or Tervuren experience?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Any Belgian shepherd or Tervuren experience??

Hi everyone, I know everyone's cup
of tea is GSD, but I've to admit the fact that I like Belgian groneondel and Tervuren. I was wondering if there are folks who has experience with them. I hate to say this but if you compare them with your GSD. Malinois is out of the question for me. I feel like I can't meet its demands such as drive etc. let's hear ya.

My Kenzo 07/2007-11/2008 RIP My Baby Boy

Laila Pester-ella (the evil minpin) DOB:11/2007

VALIUM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Contact Denise Frenzi. Not sure how much she is breeding. Met her and her dogs in '97, when she just starting looking at starting in IPO. Very nice dogs that did all 3 phases, plus Utility, etc.

One of the dogs she was working then - the grandson of that dog is training IPO with us, plus is doing incredible at agility. Excellent temperament, social and approachable in all situations. Cool thing is that I was able to see the grandfather work and now the grandson.
KK1 Griff v Tajgetosz SCH3,IPO3(BHOT) FCI & WUSV 2013
Smithie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2014, 03:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Ive trained both the turvs and the gronys. How they end up being depends largely on the lines they come from. They can be up there with the mals in terms of energy and working ability levels. Ive seen turvs doing mondio at high levels and ive seen turvs and gronys with no working ability left in them. You need to be careful because if you start with a puppy from a breeder which isnt purposely watering them down you could easily end up with a high drive one. Genetically there isnt much separating the belgian shepherds from each other aside from coat type. There are huge differences in the lines though some are like collies. Be careful when selecting a dog or breeder if you go that route.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2014, 03:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

SitStay's BB is (or was) predominately Belgian in participation although they listed all breeds.
You might try them.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2014, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have working tervueren and aside from the long hair, their genetics are exactly the same as the working malinois.

Show tervueren are completely different, and have a host of health and nerve issues. Epilepsy, gut cancer, eye issues. I actually don't even like the way they look- like over-hairy collies.

I have a few 15 week old working tervueren pups that I'm working with now, but as I said, they are malinois with a bit of extra hair and are all business. Fit for mondio, French ring, KNPV, and especially "real" work. I'm raising them as green dogs right now, because I want to see how they mature. Real nice looking pups.

Same story with the Belgian shepherds or groenendael. Can have the same genetics as a working malinois or be very different. Some breed tervueren more for agility, they are still working line but very open with next to no defense drive. Others have long-coat malinois that can be of whatever variety the malinios come in. From all prey to high fight drive... choose your flavor.
Muskeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

*sigh* Normally I cut people posting from outside the U.S. Some slack.

Quote:
I hate to say this but if you compare them with your GSD.
Tip: If you hate to say it then don't.

Now I just have to say I wish there were (or maybe there is?) a Belgian shepherd forum so we didn't have folks coming here telling us here on a GSD forum (doh) what our dogs can't do.

Last edited by Gwenhwyfair; 08-22-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Gwenhwyfair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2014, 02:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Gwenhwyfair, I don't know why you get so annoyed over this topic? It has nothing to do abilities of german shepherds. There are many people in this forum owning other breeds than gsd, you have to understand this ok? It is very simple. My intention is to acquire ideas, and yes for now I'm not in the country, but as of January 2015 I'll be back to home, then what are you gonna say, or gonna cut me some slack lollllll

Old 08-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You list Turkey as your location I could not tell if English is your first language....

Since this is a GSD forum.

German shepherds do not compare in what way?

There are thousands of GSDs serving ably, nobly and well in the military and police (see Fama's story on this forum). There are many GSDs competing in agility, obedience, protection and bite sports not to mention beloved family pets. There are many GSDs serving as dogs for those with disabilities.

Now if you're looking to do ring sports then yeah you won't see as many GSDs but then that's not the end all be all of a breed either. A lot of hunters don't think malis compare to their retrievers either.

So what the heck is the point of coming here to say the breed to which this forum is dedicated doesn't compare?

Note, the above is a rhetorical question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALIUM View Post
Gwenhwyfair, I don't know why you get so annoyed over this topic? It has nothing to do abilities of german shepherds. There are many people in this forum owning other breeds than gsd, you have to understand this ok? It is very simple. My intention is to acquire ideas, and yes for now I'm not in the country, but as of January 2015 I'll be back to home, then what are you gonna say, or gonna cut me some slack lollllll

Last edited by Gwenhwyfair; 08-23-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Gwenhwyfair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2014, 04:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Gwenhwyfair, I feel sorry for people like you, however I can ask whatever question I want to ask. It is none of your business. Mind your own business, I know gsd capabilities, and you aren't the one who is gonna lecture me. And you can't make any discrimination if I don't live in US or not. But fortunately I live and continue to live, suck it up. People ask many questions on here. Belgians are dogs that resemble gsd many ways, this why I brought this up. If you dont like the topic or even you hate, you just walk away, ah I see know it is really hard to see decent people who have dignity nowadays.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've always loved the Turvs. See very few of them.

Bailliff - are there any breeders you know of that have working line?

Valium - I believe you were comparing the GSD to the Mal to say that you couldn't handle a Mal and wanted to know about the other varieties? Is that correct? I would be interested in how the other varities compare to the GSD vs. a Mal as well. It's a good question!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.