German Shepherds Forum banner

Coat to semi-stock

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  SuperG 
#1 ·
Figured I'd give my pooch a trimming and be cheap about it and buy my own electric shears.

Since she is outside with me all the time in the summer and goes swimming, I thought what the heck? She certainly does dry off quicker.

Yes, I have heard of professional groomers but I enjoy a challenge.

I'm curious if other coat owners have done the same.

Kaia seems okay with it and didn't even attack me after the grooming session...and we all know how females can be a bit finicky about a new "do"....was that okay for me to say???

The before pic was when she was 9 months old with a ton of fur....she grew into the coat considerably. The after pic was just the other day when she turned 2.

SuperG

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Beautiful girl :) I personally like the shorter look but either way she is lovely! Brave of you to do it yourself, I have no experience there at all, lol. I would have botched it and probably had to have Titan shaved :p

#5 ·
You should have seen my first coated GSD 15 years ago...poor girl, it looked like she fell asleep under a lawnmower after I was done with her. I think the difference is..my current gal will just stand there for me motionless without any collar/lead/table or fussing....it makes a big difference I do believe.

SuperG

#4 ·
I butchered Hondo's 'butt puffs'. I used my horse clippers. The 'butt puffs' had to go. Everything stuck in them and he swims every day. Not as pretty. I just make sure I take shots of him coming towards me.

#6 ·
Looks nice!

I don't have a coated GSD, but a mixed breed that has a very long top coat (longer than a coated GSD, some of his hair is over a foot long) and a super thick undercoat. He was getting hot spots in the summer b/c of the humidity so I started having a groomer do a "lion cut". It looks silly but it works for him and he's much more comfortable, no more hot spots. I can't do it myself since the electric clippers I use on my husband can't even cut through his hair, it's so think.

#10 ·
I used the longest one which came with this Oster Turbo A5 shears..it says 1/4 on it but no way did it leave just a 1/4 inch of fur. I did most of it without any guard on it as it seems to cut much better that way. As I mentioned earlier...because my dog stood so still I could risk using no guard and not worry about scalping her.

SuperG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.