German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Coat to semi-stock (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/481937-coat-semi-stock.html)

SuperG 08-21-2014 01:34 PM

Coat to semi-stock
 
1 Attachment(s)
Figured I'd give my pooch a trimming and be cheap about it and buy my own electric shears.

Since she is outside with me all the time in the summer and goes swimming, I thought what the heck? She certainly does dry off quicker.

Yes, I have heard of professional groomers but I enjoy a challenge.

I'm curious if other coat owners have done the same.

Kaia seems okay with it and didn't even attack me after the grooming session...and we all know how females can be a bit finicky about a new "do"....was that okay for me to say???

The before pic was when she was 9 months old with a ton of fur....she grew into the coat considerably. The after pic was just the other day when she turned 2.

SuperG

wyoung2153 08-21-2014 01:37 PM

Beautiful girl :) I personally like the shorter look but either way she is lovely! Brave of you to do it yourself, I have no experience there at all, lol. I would have botched it and probably had to have Titan shaved :p

dogfaeries 08-21-2014 01:41 PM

She looks good. You did a great job :)

Lilie 08-21-2014 01:44 PM

I butchered Hondo's 'butt puffs'. I used my horse clippers. The 'butt puffs' had to go. Everything stuck in them and he swims every day. Not as pretty. I just make sure I take shots of him coming towards me.

SuperG 08-21-2014 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyoung2153 (Post 5931233)
Beautiful girl :) I personally like the shorter look but either way she is lovely! Brave of you to do it yourself, I have no experience there at all, lol. I would have botched it and probably had to have Titan shaved :p

You should have seen my first coated GSD 15 years ago...poor girl, it looked like she fell asleep under a lawnmower after I was done with her. I think the difference is..my current gal will just stand there for me motionless without any collar/lead/table or fussing....it makes a big difference I do believe.

SuperG

Liesje 08-21-2014 02:01 PM

Looks nice!

I don't have a coated GSD, but a mixed breed that has a very long top coat (longer than a coated GSD, some of his hair is over a foot long) and a super thick undercoat. He was getting hot spots in the summer b/c of the humidity so I started having a groomer do a "lion cut". It looks silly but it works for him and he's much more comfortable, no more hot spots. I can't do it myself since the electric clippers I use on my husband can't even cut through his hair, it's so think.

wyoung2153 08-21-2014 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperG (Post 5931281)
You should have seen my first coated GSD 15 years ago...poor girl, it looked like she fell asleep under a lawnmower after I was done with her. I think the difference is..my current gal will just stand there for me motionless without any collar/lead/table or fussing....it makes a big difference I do believe.

SuperG

Oh I bet that makes a difference! Lol. I know Titan wants at the blow dryer the first like minute it's on.. always a battle.. he's a mover.

smoker62 08-21-2014 02:18 PM

Looks great !

Athena'sMom 08-21-2014 04:34 PM

Looks great! What size guard did you use on your clippers?
Athena is going to be in heat again soon and she needs shaved down to keep her clean. LOL!

SuperG 08-21-2014 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athena'sMom (Post 5932025)
Looks great! What size guard did you use on your clippers?
Athena is going to be in heat again soon and she needs shaved down to keep her clean. LOL!


I used the longest one which came with this Oster Turbo A5 shears..it says 1/4 on it but no way did it leave just a 1/4 inch of fur. I did most of it without any guard on it as it seems to cut much better that way. As I mentioned earlier...because my dog stood so still I could risk using no guard and not worry about scalping her.

SuperG


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2