German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Dealing with wasps: tip (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/481705-dealing-wasps-tip.html)

wolfy dog 08-20-2014 08:56 PM

Dealing with wasps: tip

I feed raw outside in the early morning and later in the evening when it is relatively cool and the wasps are not so active.
During walks we often are ambushed by these pests and they get stuck in the dogs' coats and continue to sting. So now I am taking a small (flea)comb with me to get them out of their coats instead of trying to finding a stick or what ever to brush them off. This will prevent yourself from being stung as well.

lorihd@comcast.net 08-20-2014 09:03 PM

do you know where the nest is????? up in my neck of the woods we have hornets, nasty little buggers. I buy natural repellent at the store, it does keep most of the bugs away including the stinging kind.

wolfy dog 08-20-2014 10:59 PM

I only kill the nests around our home. The ones in the forest belong there.

huntergreen 08-21-2014 01:22 AM

once you know where they are can you avoid them?

wolfy dog 08-21-2014 11:00 AM

We go to various areas all the time and wasps can show up anywhere, especially if the dogs go off the trail. Once I know where there were wasps I try to avoid them of course or keep the dog with me.

wyoung2153 08-21-2014 11:42 AM

This is my biggest fear...

Lilie 08-21-2014 11:55 AM

The wasps move around searching for water and waspy stuff. If you want to remove a nest, you do it in the late afternoon (before dark) as most of the members will be returning to the nest.

Wasps are nasty critters. They have no sense of humor. There are even wasps that actually build nests in the ground. They don't care much for uninvited guests.

The best weapon I've found are those over sized, battery powered fly swatters. We can get them at feed stores and most hardware stores. As you see them flying around you can reach out (they extend) and zap them. Or you can use the tennis approach, which doesn't kill them. I've found this approach less helpful because it just pisses off the wasp, unless you have a great arm and send them flying a longer distance.

As long as the batteries are fresh, it's quick and efficient. They don't stay energized, only when you push the button.

If one does end up on your pup, you can easily use the swatter to remove it - and then energize it once the wasp is off your dog.

They are cheap, like $10.00 each, so I have them everywhere. When I'm out with the dogs and I've got my camera, I can slip it into the back of my pants (handle in). Not real comfy, but it frees up my hands to take pictures and allows quick access in the event we are attacked.

gsdemack 08-30-2014 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilie (Post 5930905)
The wasps move around searching for water and waspy stuff. If you want to remove a nest, you do it in the late afternoon (before dark) as most of the members will be returning to the nest.

Wasps are nasty critters. They have no sense of humor. There are even wasps that actually build nests in the ground. They don't care much for uninvited guests.

The best weapon I've found are those over sized, battery powered fly swatters. We can get them at feed stores and most hardware stores. As you see them flying around you can reach out (they extend) and zap them. Or you can use the tennis approach, which doesn't kill them. I've found this approach less helpful because it just pisses off the wasp, unless you have a great arm and send them flying a longer distance.

As long as the batteries are fresh, it's quick and efficient. They don't stay energized, only when you push the button.

If one does end up on your pup, you can easily use the swatter to remove it - and then energize it once the wasp is off your dog.

They are cheap, like $10.00 each, so I have them everywhere. When I'm out with the dogs and I've got my camera, I can slip it into the back of my pants (handle in). Not real comfy, but it frees up my hands to take pictures and allows quick access in the event we are attacked.

Have you a link to show me this fly swatter you are referring to? I never heard of such a thing.

readaboutdogs 08-30-2014 06:05 PM

I saw a big box of those at walmart!!! I didn't think about zapping wasps with it! I'll have to get one for sitting on the bench in the morning/ evening!!!

dawnandjr 08-30-2014 06:24 PM

ooooh. love my bug zappers. Picked them up at Walmart.

Zap Master Handheld Electric Bug Zapper: Pest Control : Walmart.com