How do other people react when they meet your dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How do other people react when they meet your dog?

Just curious about how others react to your dogs when you are out and about.

The GSD fans are easy to pick out right away because they share stories about the shepherd they had or mention they have one now and which breeder did we use, etc. Most of these people tend to make the assumption that we went through a breeder and that they have heard of said breeder, and also that I've heard of the breeder where they got their dog (usually we are 3 for 3 on that).

Most dog people at large automatically make the assumption that we rescued our girl. I hear this all the time: "Oh, she's so pretty! Which rescue did you go through?" I always thank them and answer honestly that she is not a rescue, at which point the reactions range from the polite "oops, my mistake"-type response to varying levels of open judgment down to the lady who sniffed and made a face and backed away from the puppy she'd been ooh-ing over just a second before (this lady is my favorite).

Plenty of people are very surprised that a GSD puppy is so calm, collected, and friendly. My husband has heard more judgmental commentary on the angulation of the show lines than I have, but I've heard people express surprise that she doesn't look like a frog (their words).

Then there are the few who have a very real look of fear on their face when they see her, especially now that she's starting to be recognizable as a purebred shepherd (lots of people thought she was a mix when she was a little black fuzzball with floppy ears). I'm always sympathetic when I see that, because they can't control it and they also seem to recognize they can't control when they'll encounter a GSD in public. I admit I probably don't always notice fear because I'm pretty focused on her, but I keep her on a short leash and either move away or make her sit when I do see it.

How do people respond when they meet or see your dog out in public?
WateryTart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Many of them say how beautiful Lisl is...from across the street.

Most ask if she is a police dog, K9, guard dog, etc. and go out of their way to avoid us.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

I live in a small town and I would be willing to guess that there is maybe 20 people in the entire town that have ever heard of a white GSD, let alone seen one, so I get the 'OMG, he is SOOOO pretty, what kind of dog is he?" "is he purebred?"" I didn't know that was even a 'thang'" and my favorite 'Well, he is so nice, is MUST be because he is white, and white GSD's are nicer then the other ones"
blueangele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Pet store employees love him and they'll fawn over him but everyday people usually either give us a wide berth or avoid us completely. He's startled a few people when they're walking by not paying attention than realize this big wolfy looking dog is staring right at them as they pass

I'm not offended in any way, he's pretty intimidating looking and very serious when on walks

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have had a wide variety of reactions. For a while I had the impression that my next door neighbor thought that Kato was going to eat his Shiztzu because when I would be walking toward him and his dog, he would pick the little shiztzu up and carry it. I was really irritated. In my head I was like, 'Kato is not going to eat your freaking shiztzu.' But, it turns out that the neighbor just didn't want his shiztzu to bother Kato. I was pleasantly surprised.

People always ask if he is friendly. My answer differs for each person who asks him. A nice lady walking down the sidewalk, 'Yes. He's still a puppy, too.'
A group of teenage boys, I just smile when they ask.

Katos_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

We get lots of "oh how pretty. Purebreed?"

No one asks which rescue, but they may ask, "where did you get him". We have had our share of rescue dogs but this time we wanted a good healthy clear headed dog for sports so we went to a breeder.

If someone wants to pet him they tend to ask while they are reaching out, but if Patton is pulling on his leash I'll tell them no. Boy do they draw back quickly! Honestly, I just don't want to reward my pup for pulling on the leash. He gets rewarded for remaining calm.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Pet store employees love him and they'll fawn over him but everyday people usually either give us a wide berth or avoid us completely. He's startled a few people when they're walking by not paying attention than realize this big wolfy looking dog is staring right at them as they pass

I'm not offended in any way, he's pretty intimidating looking and very serious when on walks
My girl must completely fail at intimidation. We cannot make it through a walk without at least one person, but usually more like 5-10, wanting to make friends.

To be fair, she stands out because while there are plenty of dogs in our part of the city and even a few shepherds, she's the only GSD puppy I've seen out and about this summer. I've had to protect her more than once from getting mobbed.
WateryTart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 01:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

When it's just my GSD and I, I get one of 3 reactions.

1) People come right up to me, ask me what he is, ask if he's friendly and if they can pet him. They usually tell me how handsome he is and they giggle at his name.

2) They go out of their way to get as far away as possible.

3) They look at him, they might make a comment about how big he is, ask if he is a wolf or if he is a Lab but they keep on walking.

When I have my Dalmatian with us, my GSD is almost nonexistent. People squeal over the sight of my Dalmatian. They run right up to pet him, they comment on how beautiful he is, how soft and shiny his coat is, how sweet and calm he is and they tell me how they never see Dalmatians around or that he is the first that they have ever met. His tail is always wagging so he isn't intimidating.

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 01:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Sailor

I've gotten people who stopped me to say how handsome he is, and I'm like thank you he knows... Hahah then I got this one lady who said he looked old! How DARE she !!, I had to cover his ears, my poor baby. Then he died a month later. To heck with that lady!
BARBIElovesSAILOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WateryTart View Post
My girl must completely fail at intimidation. We cannot make it through a walk without at least one person, but usually more like 5-10, wanting to make friends.

To be fair, she stands out because while there are plenty of dogs in our part of the city and even a few shepherds, she's the only GSD puppy I've seen out and about this summer. I've had to protect her more than once from getting mobbed.
As a puppy he was a total magnet, but once he hit 9-10 months and stopped looking SO puppy like people started backing off. At first I was miffed then I looked at him from their perspective and realized it wasn't personal.

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.