How do other people react when they meet your dog? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2014, 01:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
As a puppy he was a total magnet, but once he hit 9-10 months and stopped looking SO puppy like people started backing off. At first I was miffed then I looked at him from their perspective and realized it wasn't personal.
What's super funny is that I wanted a GSD in part because they are not the most extraverted of dogs. A very friendly, outgoing dog would not suit me, because I like to just go about my business without attracting attention. In fact, I nixed some very nice breeds of dogs that my husband liked (admittedly probably easier dogs for first timers) because I liked the reserve of the GSD and felt it matched my personality.

Well...fast forward a year from that discussion, and I can't go anywhere without people flocking to my puppy! I will be very happy if people start keeping their distance a bit more as she gets older. I can see the focused, goal-oriented side coming out more in her personality, so maybe she'll gain a more serious demeanor and be less of a magnet as she loses the puppy looks and exuberance.
WateryTart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

With my GSD, I get comments about his size and beauty. No body wants to pet him anymore. If the person has a GSD, I always get asked if I want to breed him. It angers me because he has a pronounced gimp in his gait.

With my Lacy, people always want to know what he is, and then they want to know more about the breed since the breed is the Texas state dog. They stand and stare at him like he's some sort of science experiment.

With my Mini Doxie - EVERYONE melts, drops to the ground and loves on her. She doesn't hesitate to pop into their laps and try to lick their face. Every. Single. Time. She makes everyone laugh.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

For us, most stare and eventually ask if he is friendly and can they pet him. They usually ask how old he is, where I got him, and if he is purebred because "he's so big and red, and has that black spot on his tongue!"

I don't usually get negative responses to him when people talk to me, I have gotten, on a number of occassions, people crossing the street when we run, or picking their mini-___ up as we walk by. But that's really it.. sometimes I get the crazy dog people that try to tell me how to train them and what they "know" about GSDs and dog behavior.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
I don't usually get negative responses to him when people talk to me, I have gotten, on a number of occassions, people crossing the street when we run, or picking their mini-___ up as we walk by. But that's really it.. sometimes I get the crazy dog people that try to tell me how to train them and what they "know" about GSDs and dog behavior.
I got a really nasty look from a couple with a pit bull when I stepped between their dog and my puppy at the park. My puppy was maybe 12 weeks old at the time and hadn't gotten a rabies shot yet. Before I let her meet an adult dog, I would ask if the dog was current on rabies. The couple let their dog charge up to mine without giving me a chance to ask, so I blocked their dog. It wasn't because their dog was a pit; I'd done the same thing to a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog and a Chihuahua earlier in the day.

Re the unsolicited advice, I get a lot of that. Lots of non-GSD people want to push dog parks and all-breed play groups on us. I just nod noncommittally. If they insist on knowing why I wouldn't do that, I tell them I'm following the advice of my trainer. Most people accept that but a few take it kind of personally or think I'm being a breed snob.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

I get anything from people complimenting him to people going out of their way to avoid us. The only peole who have pet him are the breeders or various vets/techs. Nobody has asked or tried to pet him when I'm out with him. Before touching him the vets/techs ask if he's friendly.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

I get the entire spectrum of reactions.....most are nice and inquisitive. I suppose since she is a coat, it is this factor which solicits the questions regarding " what type of German shepherd is that?" Recently, I gave my coated female a trimming and the questions regarding ..type of German shepherd...have decreased dramatically.

The negative reactions I get are taken in stride as I guess I never really gave a **** in the first place what those folks thought anyways.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

Default At the feed store

The other day Hoby and I were inline at the local feed store checking out. Two women inline after me had a conversation that went like this,

Lady 1 to Lady 2, "what kind of a dog is that?"
Lady 2 to Lady 1, "a German Shepherd."
Lady 1 to Lady 2, "looks like a bear."

Not really knowing what the girls meant?
My response, "Thanks"
I took it as a complement. He is a little bit like a bear.
Cashier's response, "By handsome Hoby"
Plus more good look comments about Hoby on the way out to the car.
Hoby was a celebrity for a moment. I smiled all the way home.
HOBY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
I get the entire spectrum of reactions.....most are nice and inquisitive. I suppose since she is a coat, it is this factor which solicits the questions regarding " what type of German shepherd is that?" Recently, I gave my coated female a trimming and the questions regarding ..type of German shepherd...have decreased dramatically.

The negative reactions I get are taken in stride as I guess I never really gave a **** in the first place what those folks thought anyways.

SuperG
My girl isn't a coat but I got that same question at Lake Harriet last night.

I had to ask what the guy meant because I always just assume a person means what kind of line is she (working, show, etc). He meant was she a coat. Nope, not a coat.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WateryTart View Post
I got a really nasty look from a couple with a pit bull when I stepped between their dog and my puppy at the park. My puppy was maybe 12 weeks old at the time and hadn't gotten a rabies shot yet. Before I let her meet an adult dog, I would ask if the dog was current on rabies. The couple let their dog charge up to mine without giving me a chance to ask, so I blocked their dog. It wasn't because their dog was a pit; I'd done the same thing to a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog and a Chihuahua earlier in the day.

Re the unsolicited advice, I get a lot of that. Lots of non-GSD people want to push dog parks and all-breed play groups on us. I just nod noncommittally. If they insist on knowing why I wouldn't do that, I tell them I'm following the advice of my trainer. Most people accept that but a few take it kind of personally or think I'm being a breed snob.
Oh I can respect that.. most of the picking up, or walkign the other way is purely because of Titan being a GSD or a very big dog, as I often witness them allowing their dog to play with every other dog in there and meet and greet. Usually the pick up is accompanied by "Oh!! wouldn't want him to eat your for lunch!" or something to the extent.

Annnnd yeah I have been called a dog snob multiple times before that's annoying when people won't just take your word for things and get so offended *sigh*

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
Annnnd yeah I have been called a dog snob multiple times before that's annoying when people won't just take your word for things and get so offended *sigh*
I had a trainer at a big box pet store inform me that all male shepherds were sweet and easy to train and all female shepherds were crazy and unfocused. I said that hadn't been my experience with the female shepherds I'd met, and I left it at that. She clearly did not believe me and wished me luck with mine. Thanks? Good wishes are good wishes and I'll take them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.