What do you wish you had acclimated your dog to as a puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2014, 10:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Question What do you wish you had acclimated your dog to as a puppy?

I am preparing to hopefully get a puppy this year, and I'd love to hear from other people what are some things, places, etc they wish their dog had been socialized with or acclimated to as a puppy? Like if you could go back and work more on getting your dog used to something, what would it be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2014, 10:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Kids. I don't have them. He had a few good experiences as a young puppy. But I let up as he got older.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm so glad to hear you're getting a puppy. What a lucky little devil he'll be!

My daughter did the early socialization & nobody socializes better than my Dot. HOWEVER, one area where I was remiss is that he's such an endearing, lovable & trustworthy guy that I was over indulgent & overlooked mild brattiness. He doesn't growl, snarl or hackle, but he's intolerant of other dog's getting my attention & uses his sheer size to push his way through. I definitely should have caught on to this possessiveness earlier. However sweet the next guy is I plan to be less indulgent.
RubyTuesday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 11:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

The things that make Gunther nervous are certain kids, strange men trying to talk to me, fireworks, and anything that sounds even remotely like the garbage truck. I don't wish I had acclimated him to any of them. I have an extremely weird neighbor child that stands at the fence and stares at him and in her own yard with him in our house we will hear her say "I love you Gunther". Keep in mind that we have NEVER even made any attempt to know any of them, so it's creepy. I'm cool with him not liking strange men coming to talk to me, and don't think either fireworks or the truck thing is really fixable. All in all I think he acclimated to everything pretty well. Perhaps I could have taken him out to public places at a younger age though since he doesn't always act a gentleman.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried.
Ellimaybel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 07:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

We take our pup as many places as we can and let him experience a great many things. One thing that sorta back fired is this: we used old rags to play tug of war. We do IPO training and this is a common puppy game.

Now when ever I want to dust or clean a spill, he wants to grab the rag...

hind sight is 20/20
Old 08-19-2014, 07:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellimaybel View Post
The things that make Gunther nervous are certain kids, strange men trying to talk to me, fireworks, and anything that sounds even remotely like the garbage truck. I don't wish I had acclimated him to any of them. I have an extremely weird neighbor child that stands at the fence and stares at him and in her own yard with him in our house we will hear her say "I love you Gunther". Keep in mind that we have NEVER even made any attempt to know any of them, so it's creepy. I'm cool with him not liking strange men coming to talk to me, and don't think either fireworks or the truck thing is really fixable. All in all I think he acclimated to everything pretty well. Perhaps I could have taken him out to public places at a younger age though since he doesn't always act a gentleman.
Hahhaa creepy kid....
Old 08-19-2014, 07:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

with experience you tend not to overlook things. i suggest not to overlook exposure to loud noise, ie thunder and fireworks. certainly plenty of socialization out in public.

Last edited by huntergreen; 08-19-2014 at 07:41 AM.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 07:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellimaybel View Post
I have an extremely weird neighbor child that stands at the fence and stares at him and in her own yard with him in our house we will hear her say "I love you Gunther". Keep in mind that we have NEVER even made any attempt to know any of them, so it's creepy.
Haha this made me laugh. That IS creepy...she's probably just a lonely kid but nonetheless, I'd have an issue w that

I didn't have Kai as a pup but if I could go back to when I first rescued him, I'd have been a little little less eager to be his best bud. I was wanting a pal and companion so badly and was so ready to spoil that I do have to constantly remind him of his place now-and frequently have to revoke bed rights and other privileges. It's just hard sometimes bc I do love the bed cuddles!!

In terms of socializing, I actually had an issue with men, not sure if this is partly bc of his past, but also bc I'm a single mom and it's just myself and my two kids. Kai is never around men unless my dad comes by--and he can be very intimidating at 6'6''. I do wish I had been more aware of that issue a year ago and could have been working on it from day one.

I'm sure mine's a highly personal answer, though, and probably helps no one...

Last edited by Malachi'sMama; 08-19-2014 at 07:44 AM.
Malachi'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
I'm so glad to hear you're getting a puppy. What a lucky little devil he'll be!
Aww thanks! I can't wait, it's been way too long without a dog in my house.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Travelling, and being crated around a lot of activity, frequently.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.