German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   What do you wish you had acclimated your dog to as a puppy? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/481233-what-do-you-wish-you-had-acclimated-your-dog-puppy.html)

Chicagocanine 08-18-2014 10:29 PM

What do you wish you had acclimated your dog to as a puppy?

I am preparing to hopefully get a puppy this year, and I'd love to hear from other people what are some things, places, etc they wish their dog had been socialized with or acclimated to as a puppy? Like if you could go back and work more on getting your dog used to something, what would it be?

gsdsar 08-18-2014 10:35 PM

Kids. I don't have them. He had a few good experiences as a young puppy. But I let up as he got older.

RubyTuesday 08-18-2014 11:11 PM

I'm so glad to hear you're getting a puppy. What a lucky little devil he'll be!

My daughter did the early socialization & nobody socializes better than my Dot. HOWEVER, one area where I was remiss is that he's such an endearing, lovable & trustworthy guy that I was over indulgent & overlooked mild brattiness. He doesn't growl, snarl or hackle, but he's intolerant of other dog's getting my attention & uses his sheer size to push his way through. I definitely should have caught on to this possessiveness earlier. However sweet the next guy is I plan to be less indulgent.

Ellimaybel 08-18-2014 11:59 PM

The things that make Gunther nervous are certain kids, strange men trying to talk to me, fireworks, and anything that sounds even remotely like the garbage truck. I don't wish I had acclimated him to any of them. I have an extremely weird neighbor child that stands at the fence and stares at him and in her own yard with him in our house we will hear her say "I love you Gunther". Keep in mind that we have NEVER even made any attempt to know any of them, so it's creepy. I'm cool with him not liking strange men coming to talk to me, and don't think either fireworks or the truck thing is really fixable. All in all I think he acclimated to everything pretty well. Perhaps I could have taken him out to public places at a younger age though since he doesn't always act a gentleman.

car2ner 08-19-2014 07:11 AM

We take our pup as many places as we can and let him experience a great many things. One thing that sorta back fired is this: we used old rags to play tug of war. We do IPO training and this is a common puppy game.

Now when ever I want to dust or clean a spill, he wants to grab the rag...

hind sight is 20/20

Ace GSD 08-19-2014 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellimaybel (Post 5920633)
The things that make Gunther nervous are certain kids, strange men trying to talk to me, fireworks, and anything that sounds even remotely like the garbage truck. I don't wish I had acclimated him to any of them. I have an extremely weird neighbor child that stands at the fence and stares at him and in her own yard with him in our house we will hear her say "I love you Gunther". Keep in mind that we have NEVER even made any attempt to know any of them, so it's creepy. I'm cool with him not liking strange men coming to talk to me, and don't think either fireworks or the truck thing is really fixable. All in all I think he acclimated to everything pretty well. Perhaps I could have taken him out to public places at a younger age though since he doesn't always act a gentleman.

Hahhaa creepy kid....

huntergreen 08-19-2014 07:36 AM

with experience you tend not to overlook things. i suggest not to overlook exposure to loud noise, ie thunder and fireworks. certainly plenty of socialization out in public.

Malachi'sMama 08-19-2014 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellimaybel (Post 5920633)
I have an extremely weird neighbor child that stands at the fence and stares at him and in her own yard with him in our house we will hear her say "I love you Gunther". Keep in mind that we have NEVER even made any attempt to know any of them, so it's creepy.

Haha this made me laugh. That IS creepy...she's probably just a lonely kid but nonetheless, I'd have an issue w that :help:

I didn't have Kai as a pup but if I could go back to when I first rescued him, I'd have been a little little less eager to be his best bud. I was wanting a pal and companion so badly and was so ready to spoil that I do have to constantly remind him of his place now-and frequently have to revoke bed rights and other privileges. It's just hard sometimes bc I do love the bed cuddles!!

In terms of socializing, I actually had an issue with men, not sure if this is partly bc of his past, but also bc I'm a single mom and it's just myself and my two kids. Kai is never around men unless my dad comes by--and he can be very intimidating at 6'6''. I do wish I had been more aware of that issue a year ago and could have been working on it from day one.

I'm sure mine's a highly personal answer, though, and probably helps no one...

Chicagocanine 08-19-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubyTuesday (Post 5920457)
I'm so glad to hear you're getting a puppy. What a lucky little devil he'll be!

Aww thanks! :D I can't wait, it's been way too long without a dog in my house.

DJEtzel 08-19-2014 12:14 PM

Travelling, and being crated around a lot of activity, frequently.