problem in car - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2014, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default problem in car

My pooch spends time in the back of my car daily. He is very good in the car. I have an suv and the back window rolls all the way down.

He comes with me when I ride my horse and generally hangs out in the car. He mostly just lays around like a bum. Sometimes people like to go pet him, which I have been totally fine with. The other day there were 3 kids and one adult petting him. One of the kids he had never met before. I wasn't near by, so I don't really know what happened, but they said he "freaked out"and started growling. They said it happened when he sniffed the one kid's watch (the kid he had never met)

I'm thinking he was just over stimulated/trapped by all the people reaching in. I'm not sure if there is anything I do differently in the future.

I have always told people that they can pet him, but at their own risk, as he is a dog. He has never been protective of the car that I have seen.

Any advice? :/
Germanshepherdlove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2014, 10:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Definitely crate him in a vehicle. It's safer for everyone.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 08:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

not a good idea to allow this when you are not present.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would crate him just on the off chance something bad happens, I would not allow people to hands on with my guys while i was not around, even if your dog is amazing you never know what someone may say about the dog or far worse some crazy may take him or hurt him.
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 09:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the suggestions.

I do not want to crate him because when it gets warm I want him to be able to stick his head out and get more air.

It is already a rule that kids can't pet him with out an adult, but that obviously didn't help with this incident
Germanshepherdlove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

if a serious incident occurs while you are not there, you won't be able to defend your dog when AC shows up.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 10:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Crate with a battery operated fan. It isn't a great idea to have anyone just reach in and pet him regardless, with you not being right there, you never know what can happen and in the end you would be held liable.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 11:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanshepherdlove View Post
Thanks for the suggestions.

I do not want to crate him because when it gets warm I want him to be able to stick his head out and get more air.

It is already a rule that kids can't pet him with out an adult, but that obviously didn't help with this incident
Sorry this just still sounds so dangerous, not just for people reaching in but for the dog and his temperature.

My dogs are ALWAYS crated in my van and thus get way more airflow because I don't have to worry about whether they can jump out. My windows are all completely down and I can leave doors/hatch open and not worry about my dogs leaving or anyone reaching in. If I don't trust the area I lock my crates shut, but don't take dogs with me if I have to park somewhere I don't trust.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

ITA about crating. It's the safest place for your dog to be in a car. Esp if you were to have an accident.
zetti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 12:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

How can you make a rule if you're not around to enforce it? This sounds like an accident waiting to happen. No wait, it IS an accident waiting to happen. Please reconsider how you're managing this situation, for your dog's sake and also any children who might get bitten. It's not worth it, just to take the dog with you, when you're not there to supervise what's going on. Or, get a portable fence to secure your vehicle's perimeter? Hire a guard?
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.