German Shepherds Forum banner

problem in car

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Lilie 
#1 ·
My pooch spends time in the back of my car daily. He is very good in the car. I have an suv and the back window rolls all the way down.

He comes with me when I ride my horse and generally hangs out in the car. He mostly just lays around like a bum. Sometimes people like to go pet him, which I have been totally fine with. The other day there were 3 kids and one adult petting him. One of the kids he had never met before. I wasn't near by, so I don't really know what happened, but they said he "freaked out"and started growling. They said it happened when he sniffed the one kid's watch (the kid he had never met)

I'm thinking he was just over stimulated/trapped by all the people reaching in. I'm not sure if there is anything I do differently in the future.

I have always told people that they can pet him, but at their own risk, as he is a dog. He has never been protective of the car that I have seen.

Any advice? :/

#8 ·
Sorry this just still sounds so dangerous, not just for people reaching in but for the dog and his temperature.

My dogs are ALWAYS crated in my van and thus get way more airflow because I don't have to worry about whether they can jump out. My windows are all completely down and I can leave doors/hatch open and not worry about my dogs leaving or anyone reaching in. If I don't trust the area I lock my crates shut, but don't take dogs with me if I have to park somewhere I don't trust.

#7 ·
Crate with a battery operated fan. It isn't a great idea to have anyone just reach in and pet him regardless, with you not being right there, you never know what can happen and in the end you would be held liable.

#10 ·
How can you make a rule if you're not around to enforce it? This sounds like an accident waiting to happen. No wait, it IS an accident waiting to happen. Please reconsider how you're managing this situation, for your dog's sake and also any children who might get bitten. It's not worth it, just to take the dog with you, when you're not there to supervise what's going on. Or, get a portable fence to secure your vehicle's perimeter? Hire a guard?

#11 ·
Sorry this just still sounds so dangerous, not just for people reaching in but for the dog and his temperature.
many dogs will guard their territory and when they are in a car that is their territory
there is no way in hades i would allow people to stick their arm into my vehicle or if a pick up over the side of the truck into the dogs space

just entirely too dangerous
you may lose your dog this way
if it is so hot you have to leave all the windows down that far then leave the dog at home

you are going to wind up having your dog bite someone and he will pay the price for it
it is not worth it
leave it home

#12 ·
I don't allow anyone to pet my dogs unless I am present. They are dogs. Anything can happen. I rarely leave my dogs unattended in my truck, but when I do, I leave the tailgate up and locked.

#14 ·
I don't allow anyone to pet my dogs unless I am present. They are dogs. Anything can happen. I rarely leave my dogs unattended in my truck, but when I do, I leave the tailgate up and locked.
I suppose that ^^ doesn't really make sense since I left out the small detail that includes my dogs are in crates in the bed of my truck. I don't leave them inside my truck...nor running amuck in the bed of my truck. The crates are attached to the bed of my truck.

#13 ·
My car is not large enough to carry a crate so we have screens on our back windows

Mutt Managers

They are pretty secure but even with these in place I would hesitate to have anyone come to talk to my dog. And I would also keep the car in sight. You never know if some nut case would try to remove the screens. Some people do the stupidest things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.