Venting on today's vet visit (weird comment) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2014, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Venting on today's vet visit (weird comment)

So today I took my 7 month old unaltered male pup to the vet for a recheck on his ear. About a week and a half ago I had taken him because his ear was painful to the touch and the vet (not the normal one we see) diagnosed it as an infection from environmental allergies. Since it was painful he would not let anyone near it and they had to take him in the back and , as the vet put it, have someone sit on him to put the ointment in.
Today ear is much better, they put more in. When we got there initially I noticed my pup acted nervous, whining, I am sure stemming from what happened at the last visit. Vet said last time and this time that my pup has a great temperment, and our usual vet had said this as well. he asked me if we were looking to neuter, I said no, explained I was looking to get him titled in Schutzhund and was advised not to(this vet didnt know what Schutzhund was.) I also have decided for the well being of my dog down the road not to neuter but wasnt getting into it with this vet. I also told him IF we get him titled and he proves himself there is a SLIM chance we MIGHT consider breeding him. Vet then stated that he thought neutering him now would be a good time before he becomes a territorial shepherd(?) and then asked me how he was at home because he seemed nervous to him ( what did he expect after what he had been through) and to consider his "nervous temperment" if I was going to ever breed him. I know personally that once you have a bad experience from a dr that it sticks with you, I just thought this was a off the wall comment considering. Sorry so long...thoughts?
daisyrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Dogs with sound nerves bounce back remarkably from pain and bad experiences; Delgado was licking the vet's face while being restrained for blood work and never flinched. He jumped on a patio table once and when he jumped off got his toe stuck between the glass and the frame, I came running when he cried and found him hanging by that toe. Later on that day he was sitting back up on the table again. He was neutered at the vet and still wagging his tail and accepting hugs from the staff as we were leaving, despite the fact he knew that something happened to him there

If you feel that the experience was bad then go out of your way to make the next ones wonderful. Stop by randomly, get him weighed and have the staff give him treats if they have time. Show him that good things happen there and build up that confidence and trust in them. Both you, the dog, and the staff will be better off for it

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Dogs with sound nerves bounce back remarkably from pain and bad experiences; Delgado was licking the vet's face while being restrained for blood work and never flinched. He jumped on a patio table once and when he jumped off got his toe stuck between the glass and the frame, I came running when he cried and found him hanging by that toe. Later on that day he was sitting back up on the table again. He was neutered at the vet and still wagging his tail and accepting hugs from the staff as we were leaving, despite the fact he knew that something happened to him there

If you feel that the experience was bad then go out of your way to make the next ones wonderful. Stop by randomly, get him weighed and have the staff give him treats if they have time. Show him that good things happen there and build up that confidence and trust in them. Both you, the dog, and the staff will be better off for it
I'm sorry I guess I was unclear about the vent. The vet commented the last time about how he had a good temperament because my pup was licking him and friendly towards him right after. he went right to the back with him again today (twice) and is friendly and loving towards everyone there. he was not showing fear or backing away. What I am venting about is how in one breath he told me how great he is and the next he is commenting on how he seemed nervous, despite what happened. Also, the "get him neutered before he becomes a territorial shepherd" comment.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My only thought to threads like this is...

Why let it bother you?

If you live with the dog and you know the dog, then what's the problem?

Vet offices smell funny. Many perfectly solid dogs are whiny at the vets. Especially a young dog!

Who cares. So someone said something ignorant. I was in a hotel this weekend with women giving my Seger the hairy eyeball. I know he's a good boy. You can just stay right back there if you choose, ladies.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 04:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyrunner View Post
I'm sorry I guess I was unclear about the vent. The vet commented the last time about how he had a good temperament because my pup was licking him and friendly towards him right after. he went right to the back with him again today (twice) and is friendly and loving towards everyone there. he was not showing fear or backing away. What I am venting about is how in one breath he told me how great he is and the next he is commenting on how he seemed nervous, despite what happened. Also, the "get him neutered before he becomes a territorial shepherd" comment.
I've had great vets and not so great vets, same with techs. It's a high stress job for sure and sometimes I feel sometimes (even without meaning to) they project what's going on that day onto you and your dog. They're only human so you win some and you lose some

Remember that what sticks into their minds the most are the bad examples of the breed, not the good ones

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 04:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

I wouldn't sweat it, but if it bothers you, change vets. I go to the vet for diagnosis of medical problems and administering medical care. I don't care what they think about how I train, whether I neuter or breed, etc.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 04:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyrunner View Post
You said that the dog was acting nervous and whiny on the second visit, which would mean he didn't bounce back from the bad experience. Not saying you can't change that, but the vet probably seen what you yourself said you saw.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post

Why let it bother you?

Vet offices smell funny. Many perfectly solid dogs are whiny at the vets. Especially a young dog!

Who cares. So someone said something ignorant. I was in a hotel this weekend with women giving my Seger the hairy eyeball. I know he's a good boy. You can just stay right back there if you choose, ladies.
LOL! agreed. Our usual vet I like; didnt argue about keeping him intact. And your right; I know my pup. Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

considering the plethora of gsds out there with sketchy and fearful temperaments i would not blame any vet for suggesting not breeding
they see them all day long i am sure
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 07:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post

Why let it bother you?

Yup....
sparra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.