German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Venting on today's vet visit (weird comment) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/481081-venting-todays-vet-visit-weird-comment.html)

daisyrunner 08-18-2014 03:48 PM

Venting on today's vet visit (weird comment)
 
So today I took my 7 month old unaltered male pup to the vet for a recheck on his ear. About a week and a half ago I had taken him because his ear was painful to the touch and the vet (not the normal one we see) diagnosed it as an infection from environmental allergies. Since it was painful he would not let anyone near it and they had to take him in the back and , as the vet put it, have someone sit on him to put the ointment in.
Today ear is much better, they put more in. When we got there initially I noticed my pup acted nervous, whining, I am sure stemming from what happened at the last visit. Vet said last time and this time that my pup has a great temperment, and our usual vet had said this as well. he asked me if we were looking to neuter, I said no, explained I was looking to get him titled in Schutzhund and was advised not to(this vet didnt know what Schutzhund was.) I also have decided for the well being of my dog down the road not to neuter but wasnt getting into it with this vet. I also told him IF we get him titled and he proves himself there is a SLIM chance we MIGHT consider breeding him. Vet then stated that he thought neutering him now would be a good time before he becomes a territorial shepherd(?) and then asked me how he was at home because he seemed nervous to him ( what did he expect after what he had been through) and to consider his "nervous temperment" if I was going to ever breed him. I know personally that once you have a bad experience from a dr that it sticks with you, I just thought this was a off the wall comment considering. Sorry so long...thoughts?

Shade 08-18-2014 03:56 PM

Dogs with sound nerves bounce back remarkably from pain and bad experiences; Delgado was licking the vet's face while being restrained for blood work and never flinched. He jumped on a patio table once and when he jumped off got his toe stuck between the glass and the frame, I came running when he cried and found him hanging by that toe. Later on that day he was sitting back up on the table again. He was neutered at the vet and still wagging his tail and accepting hugs from the staff as we were leaving, despite the fact he knew that something happened to him there

If you feel that the experience was bad then go out of your way to make the next ones wonderful. Stop by randomly, get him weighed and have the staff give him treats if they have time. Show him that good things happen there and build up that confidence and trust in them. Both you, the dog, and the staff will be better off for it

daisyrunner 08-18-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shade (Post 5918521)
Dogs with sound nerves bounce back remarkably from pain and bad experiences; Delgado was licking the vet's face while being restrained for blood work and never flinched. He jumped on a patio table once and when he jumped off got his toe stuck between the glass and the frame, I came running when he cried and found him hanging by that toe. Later on that day he was sitting back up on the table again. He was neutered at the vet and still wagging his tail and accepting hugs from the staff as we were leaving, despite the fact he knew that something happened to him there

If you feel that the experience was bad then go out of your way to make the next ones wonderful. Stop by randomly, get him weighed and have the staff give him treats if they have time. Show him that good things happen there and build up that confidence and trust in them. Both you, the dog, and the staff will be better off for it

I'm sorry I guess I was unclear about the vent. The vet commented the last time about how he had a good temperament because my pup was licking him and friendly towards him right after. he went right to the back with him again today (twice) and is friendly and loving towards everyone there. he was not showing fear or backing away. What I am venting about is how in one breath he told me how great he is and the next he is commenting on how he seemed nervous, despite what happened. Also, the "get him neutered before he becomes a territorial shepherd" comment.

Jax08 08-18-2014 04:15 PM

My only thought to threads like this is...

Why let it bother you?

If you live with the dog and you know the dog, then what's the problem?

Vet offices smell funny. Many perfectly solid dogs are whiny at the vets. Especially a young dog!

Who cares. So someone said something ignorant. I was in a hotel this weekend with women giving my Seger the hairy eyeball. I know he's a good boy. You can just stay right back there if you choose, ladies.

Shade 08-18-2014 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisyrunner (Post 5918545)
I'm sorry I guess I was unclear about the vent. The vet commented the last time about how he had a good temperament because my pup was licking him and friendly towards him right after. he went right to the back with him again today (twice) and is friendly and loving towards everyone there. he was not showing fear or backing away. What I am venting about is how in one breath he told me how great he is and the next he is commenting on how he seemed nervous, despite what happened. Also, the "get him neutered before he becomes a territorial shepherd" comment.

I've had great vets and not so great vets, same with techs. It's a high stress job for sure and sometimes I feel sometimes (even without meaning to) they project what's going on that day onto you and your dog. They're only human so you win some and you lose some :p

Remember that what sticks into their minds the most are the bad examples of the breed, not the good ones :(

Liesje 08-18-2014 04:22 PM

I wouldn't sweat it, but if it bothers you, change vets. I go to the vet for diagnosis of medical problems and administering medical care. I don't care what they think about how I train, whether I neuter or breed, etc.

llombardo 08-18-2014 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisyrunner (Post 5918545)
I'm sorry I guess I was unclear about the vent. The vet commented the last time about how he had a good temperament because my pup was licking him and friendly towards him right after. he went right to the back with him again today (twice) and is friendly and loving towards everyone there. he was not showing fear or backing away. What I am venting about is how in one breath he told me how great he is and the next he is commenting on how he seemed nervous, despite what happened. Also, the "get him neutered before he becomes a territorial shepherd" comment.

You said that the dog was acting nervous and whiny on the second visit, which would mean he didn't bounce back from the bad experience. Not saying you can't change that, but the vet probably seen what you yourself said you saw.

daisyrunner 08-18-2014 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 5918553)
My only thought to threads like this is...

Why let it bother you?

If you live with the dog and you know the dog, then what's the problem?

Vet offices smell funny. Many perfectly solid dogs are whiny at the vets. Especially a young dog!

Who cares. So someone said something ignorant. I was in a hotel this weekend with women giving my Seger the hairy eyeball. I know he's a good boy. You can just stay right back there if you choose, ladies.

LOL! agreed. Our usual vet I like; didnt argue about keeping him intact. And your right; I know my pup. Thanks everyone for the input. :)

my boy diesel 08-18-2014 04:55 PM

considering the plethora of gsds out there with sketchy and fearful temperaments i would not blame any vet for suggesting not breeding :shrug:
they see them all day long i am sure

sparra 08-18-2014 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 5918553)
My only thought to threads like this is...

Why let it bother you?

If you live with the dog and you know the dog, then what's the problem?

Vet offices smell funny. Many perfectly solid dogs are whiny at the vets. Especially a young dog!

Who cares. So someone said something ignorant. I was in a hotel this weekend with women giving my Seger the hairy eyeball. I know he's a good boy. You can just stay right back there if you choose, ladies.

Yup.... :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2