How to Introduce My Yorkie to My GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2014, 03:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to Introduce My Yorkie to My GSD?

Hopefully this is the right section but anyway...

So cliff notes version: my parents are divorced and my mom has been having financial troubles and has to move out, probably several states away to live with a friend. The problem? Our two small dogs stay with her. Our almost-7 year old, 3.5 lb, intact female Yorkie (we are planning on getting her spayed by the end of august) and chihuahua. We are looking for a new home for the chihuahua as she is dog aggressive. The Yorkie, Miley, however, is my baby and I want to keep her at my dad's with me. However at my dad's is where I keep my 2 yr old, 65 lb, intact male German shepherd, Kody. Kody and Miley are both well socialized and good with other dogs of all sizes. They have met briefly in the past when Kody was a few months old, but haven't really since. Kody is generally crated, in the backyard, being walked, trained, or played with, or let loose in the house under strict supervision and after being walked and trained. Miley is very calm and generally has free run of the house. However, she was our first dog and is the only one not crate trained. She has a crate and sleeps in it on her own sometimes, but she'll cry bloody murder if we close the door on her.

ANYWAYS. How should we initially introduce them? Outside on leash in a neutral place? How should we get them used to living with each other? Would it ever be safe to keep them out together in the house? Thank you so much in advance!!

Last edited by Tulip; 08-15-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2014, 09:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

This thread Integrating a GSD with a small breed has some good ideas. I would suggest you first introduce them in a neutral place.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks i read through it! Although it was about bringing a puppy gsd home, so im a bit more nervous bringing my 3.5 lb yorkie into the house with my already full grown gsd? I just dont want him to step on her or play too rough or get all up in her face and annoying her...
Old 08-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

This article might be better German Shepherds and small dogs - Part 2 - Akron German Shepherd | Examiner.com
Old 08-17-2014, 12:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks, I've actually already read that haha! Just thought I'd post here and see if anyone has had any personal experience and can offer additional advice haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.