Are dogs just property? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Are dogs just property?

How many people out there consider animals who live with them to be their property? How many people do not see the animals they live with to be their property and instead more? Both sides of the questions, why do you feel like that?
BARBIElovesSAILOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Both. Legally, my dogs are my property. There aren't really any ways around that. Emotionally, they're much more.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 08:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They are a part of the family, a big part of the family. I love, respect, and treat them as part of thd family. Now I need to figure out how to claim them on taxes and we will be set
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 08:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

My dogs are family! In the eyes of the law they are property but to me they are so much more. They are always there for me no matter what and always enjoy my company. I enjoy spending time with them, training them, playing with them and caring for all their needs.
Athena'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 08:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
They are a part of the family, a big part of the family. I love, respect, and treat them as part of thd family. Now I need to figure out how to claim them on taxes and we will be set
Right?! That would be great. Then I'd have a real answer to anyone who asks why we don't have kids and I say, "well.... we have dogs..."

We don't have kids. We won't ever have kids. But we have dogs and our lives revolve around them in much the same way.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 08:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

They are my property, i own them by law i am responsible for them-
They are also part of my family, i love them just like i love my child and soon to be step children, when i go thru the mcdonalds drive thru i order plain hamburgers for them so they do not feel left out, I miss them if we are doing something exciting that they could have been part of, i think about them and cut plans short because i need to be at home with them, I always give them night night hugs and kisses and always give them goodmorning hugs and kisses....they are fabulous members of my family!
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Legally, simply property. But personally, he is my family.
Pax8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 10:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

I don't view as property, legally owner. And they are a part of my family, my companions. I don't view my human companions as property. I think of property more in terms of unliving objects.
readaboutdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 10:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Property. I own them. I am responsible for them. I make the decisions of what they eat, what veterinary care, what training, where they are when I am not home. I am responsible for their welfare, well-being, and their actions.

Of course they are living beings that have minds of their own, and physical and emotional feelings, and physical, emotional and mental needs, likes and dislikes. And I feel more committed to them than I do to my SUV or coffee table.

If someone steals or destroys my car or my coffee table, I will be angry. If someone shoots or steals one of my dogs, I will be devastated. But they are indeed property. And as property, we owners have rights and responsibilities.

I feel this post is going toward guardianship rather than ownership, like adopt rather than buy. These terms are all a well-executed plan by animal rights groups to change how people think of critters, and eventually eliminate the keeping of critters for pets, working animals, or animals kept for meat or wool.

A child that you raise that is not your own, not biologically or adopted, needs a guardian because for a period they are incapable of making the decisions, and decisions need to be made for them. Dogs are not going to grow up, move out, and support themselves. They will always be dependents of their owner. They do not need a guardian. They need an owner.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Are you related to Lobobear?

ETA: You should utilize the "search" function, a lot of your topics and your stance on them have been discussed at great length in previous threads. Not saying you shouldn't start threads, just sayin...

Last edited by DaniFani; 08-13-2014 at 10:40 PM.
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.