Likely Goodbye :/ - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2014, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Likely Goodbye :/

This morning I found a listing for two German shepherds lost in the area I had found em with a male and female missing and that they had choke chains. The pictures don't match the dogs completely but they could've been older pics but the coincidence of male and female with a choke chain in the area I found em in is pretty high and this could be the owner. I tried calling but no answer so I'll try again in about an hour or two. I'm morally torn between returning the dog as I've wanted this breed since I was a child and from what I've read legally I can claim ownership by this time as it's been over a week and even the female is up for adoption. I'm torn because I want to be selfish but I know it wouldnt be the right thing to do not to notify the owner and also at the same time in my head I see an owner who can't even spay and neuter their dogs, have a chip or least some dog tag and I doubt any shots be responsible. Especially since the listing says the female is pregnant and highly unlikely from any good male nor the female having good traits to breed. So in my eyes I don't see the owner being a responsible one but I don't know the person either but as irresponsible as they may be I'm sure they want their dogs back. This sucks as I'd be saddened and tho I will contact the person to be honest I hope it's not the same person and it's just big coincidences. If it is the owner I'll be saying goodbye to these forums hopefully one day returning with a gsd of my own. I'll keep this updated in case anyone cares to know wether the dog stays or goes. I hope this is the right thing to do for the dog in mind. Thank you everyone who's helped my long story questions
SlashingAxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

You are in a tough spot but I am sure you will do the right thing. I would like to know what happens in the end and if they do go back you will find YOUR gsd someday...
Old 08-08-2014, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Maybe they will pick up the female and let you keep the male. Maybe they will offer you a pup? I wouldn't want to bd in your shoes at all. Good Luck!!
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2014, 01:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2shepherds View Post
You are in a tough spot but I am sure you will do the right thing. I would like to know what happens in the end and if they do go back you will find YOUR gsd someday...
Ya it is tough :/. I can't see the owner being that good and yall know the breeders on this page would be downright flaming the guy for having bred the female. The females been in shelter since Monday and its the only shelter nearby til like another 20miles so that he hasn'tcalled or cchecked there saddens me. So its tough trying to return the dog to someone you don't see as responsible yet at the same time its the morally right thing to do
Old 08-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Maybe they will pick up the female and let you keep the male. Maybe they will offer you a pup? I wouldn't want to bd in your shoes at all. Good Luck!!
I hope that'd be a good case scenario. I WAS actually gonna ask for a pup though. May not approve of breeding the dog but it's happened already so was hoping he'd be nice to return the favor with a newborn lol
Old 08-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Maybe contact them and if you see that it is not good conditions for the dogs get your local authorities involved. Problem is what will happen to the female???
Old 08-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My thoughts are with the female and what is going to happen with her . Chances are that the dog you have is the father.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
My thoughts are with the female and what is going to happen with her . Chances are that the dog you have is the father.
That's my concern as well. The holding period is up for the dog so if the owner wants the female back he's gonna have to pay the adoption fees as he's lost his rights. Since he hasn't spent a bit of money for identification what's to say he'll shell out bigger money for taking the dog out. That was my initial guest as well and I doubt they have good genes for breeding.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just because they aren't microchipped doesn't mean they aren't loved. If they don't wear choke chains on a daily basis, their tags could be on a regular collar. Who knows what's going on in this person's life; they could have been out of town, lost their phone service, or any number of things. It worries me when people think that because they might be better owners for a dog, they should have the rights to it.
angierose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by angierose View Post
Just because they aren't microchipped doesn't mean they aren't loved. If they don't wear choke chains on a daily basis, their tags could be on a regular collar. Who knows what's going on in this person's life; they could have been out of town, lost their phone service, or any number of things. It worries me when people think that because they might be better owners for a dog, they should have the rights to it.
Well its not just the factor of no chip but also the other facts I've mentioned like say the breeding and the lack of calling the only shelter nearby. You may dismiss one or two but when everything just adds up you can infer a bit. It's not that I think I'm a better owner that makes me think I have rights to it it's that legally I do have rights to the dog as the stray holding period is over thats why I'm torn because legally I can keep the dog but I may have found the owner and morally that'd be the right thing to do to return it. For now it's just the waiting game til the possible owner answers or calls back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.